Kaizen love to X-H1?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I think Fuji have already abandoned the XH1, they used to support older cameras way better but over the last 2 years things have faded from their side, XH1's last update it got was more than a year ago and just fixed 1 tiny bug, no new features or enhancements in almost 2 years, really pathetic by Fuji...

• 2 weeks later...

For me - i cannot understand, why no update appears for x-h1

there are so many issues for me like

autofocus 

silent mode

on/off stability.

i just have the camera for 1 month ( and am not a heavy user ) and it was a steal but i cannot Understand why they abandoned updating this model... a stepchild left to itself?

Perhaps this forum should bring together all the points which could be better at the cam... i also find this topic underrepresented at fujirumors.

Nowadays the main thing that distinguishes fuji from other great cameras for me was kaizen art of customer service representing a super service on the one side and true oecologic Principle even knowing that selling a new camera model is essential for fuji concern to survive...

yes its a pity that Fuji have abandoned the XH1, think they used it as proof of concept for the XT4 (getting IBIS sorted for the XT4 etc.) and its a pity cos I love my XH1, and with just a bit of firmware tweaking it could go from great to amazing! Strange how Fuji, who are normally so good with firmware updates have fallen short over the last year or so... pity.

I'm sorry to read these posts.  I just purchased my first Fuji camera the X-H1. I read everything I could to decide between the X-T3 and the X-H1 and decided since I was moving from a Canon 5D MkII that the size and weight of the X-H1 would be a good choice for me, adding the IBIS and the deal was sealed. I choose Fugi just because of their history of updating their previous models as much as they could. I hope they won't abandon the X-H1 but will continue to improve the software.  If they don't I will be greatly disappointed. 

Edited by NDDave
Typo

Really, I didn't expect such irresponsibility from Fuji, I am not hyperbolic; I say this because the XH1 freeze/close down way too often. It may happen over 5 times in 3 minutes (and certainly I use only the original batteries). Fuji OUGHT to had fix this through a proper firmware update.

Edited by Giorgos Korakis

These posts are interesting.  While a major update to improve the camera would be great, just how far do you think we can go with this processor and sensor?  It had a ton of improvements in X-T2 form and to believe this would continue at the same rate as it reaches it's mature lifespan is totally unrealistic.  My X-H1 does everything I want of it, and NEVER locks up (sorry to those that have this issue, and I use aftermarket batteries all the time).  I will continue to enjoy it for a long time to come.  If this new camera has a new sensor and processing engine, that's where you want to be if you want a stream of firmware improvements, when it's totally new.

• 1 month later...

Most of the lock-ups were fixed in 1.01, 1.11 and 1.12 firmware updates. My first X-H1 locked-up during card write so bad that I swapped back to the X-T2. My current X-H1 doesn't have these issues anymore. However the X-H1 is definitely the stepchild of Fuji's Kaizen philosophy, which is actually really bad as it was introduced as their flagship camera. There hasn't been a meaningful update since 1.5 years and yet there's a long list of things to improve (which can be done through firmware). My most pressing one next to less erratic AF face detect, is automatic re-adjusting shots in portrait mode when played back/reviewing on the LCD. I don't know why on earth Fuji doesn't do that. They support autorotate, but it doesn't work in playback... I do a lot of portrait work in the studio and all other brands but Fuji, seem to support this.

22 hours ago, AndyH44 said:

I guess I don't understand.  If you do "a lot of portrait work" then isn't your camera in that position mostly?

My point is that during shooting Fuji auto rotates the display info nicely. During playback, they don't. You either set Autorotate PB to ON and for portrait mode images you have a tiny view, or you set in OFF and the display info stays static and you have to turn the camera between landscape and portrait. Many others use the gyroscope in the camera also during playback to ensure the right-side-up display of the image. That's for me at least the meaning of Autorotate PB ON.

• 3 months later...

We saw a massive amount of updates on the older bodies for the simple reason that there were big jumps in capabilities across a similar hardware platform, as well as significant improvements in what could be done with the processor already present. You saw much less evolution on say the X-E2s (the last X-Trans II model) than the X-E2 or X-T1, because they were closer to the limits of the platform.

The X-H1 was the last of the X-Trans III models and its changes flowed down to the earlier models, but there just wasn't that much they could add to the platform by the time the X-H1 came out that wasn't already included in the X-H1. That's why we've mostly just seen bug fixes and lens support updates.

Today we have a fairly mature system on X-Trans IV, frankly I don't expect to see anywhere near the level of new feature adds via Kaizen updates as we saw early on with the X-Trans 1, II and III platforms