Kaizen love to X-H1?

I think Fuji have already abandoned the XH1, they used to support older cameras way better but over the last 2 years things have faded from their side, XH1's last update it got was more than a year ago and just fixed 1 tiny bug, no new features or enhancements in almost 2 years, really pathetic by Fuji...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me - i cannot understand, why no update appears for x-h1

there are so many issues for me like

autofocus 

silent mode

on/off stability.

i just have the camera for 1 month ( and am not a heavy user ) and it was a steal but i cannot Understand why they abandoned updating this model... a stepchild left to itself?

Perhaps this forum should bring together all the points which could be better at the cam... i also find this topic underrepresented at fujirumors.

Nowadays the main thing that distinguishes fuji from other great cameras for me was kaizen art of customer service representing a super service on the one side and true oecologic Principle even knowing that selling a new camera model is essential for fuji concern to survive...

yes its a pity that Fuji have abandoned the XH1, think they used it as proof of concept for the XT4 (getting IBIS sorted for the XT4 etc.) and its a pity cos I love my XH1, and with just a bit of firmware tweaking it could go from great to amazing! Strange how Fuji, who are normally so good with firmware updates have fallen short over the last year or so... pity.

I'm sorry to read these posts.  I just purchased my first Fuji camera the X-H1. I read everything I could to decide between the X-T3 and the X-H1 and decided since I was moving from a Canon 5D MkII that the size and weight of the X-H1 would be a good choice for me, adding the IBIS and the deal was sealed. I choose Fugi just because of their history of updating their previous models as much as they could. I hope they won't abandon the X-H1 but will continue to improve the software.  If they don't I will be greatly disappointed. 

Edited by NDDave
Typo

Really, I didn't expect such irresponsibility from Fuji, I am not hyperbolic; I say this because the XH1 freeze/close down way too often. It may happen over 5 times in 3 minutes (and certainly I use only the original batteries). Fuji OUGHT to had fix this through a proper firmware update.

Edited by Giorgos Korakis

These posts are interesting.  While a major update to improve the camera would be great, just how far do you think we can go with this processor and sensor?  It had a ton of improvements in X-T2 form and to believe this would continue at the same rate as it reaches it's mature lifespan is totally unrealistic.  My X-H1 does everything I want of it, and NEVER locks up (sorry to those that have this issue, and I use aftermarket batteries all the time).  I will continue to enjoy it for a long time to come.  If this new camera has a new sensor and processing engine, that's where you want to be if you want a stream of firmware improvements, when it's totally new.

Most of the lock-ups were fixed in 1.01, 1.11 and 1.12 firmware updates. My first X-H1 locked-up during card write so bad that I swapped back to the X-T2. My current X-H1 doesn't have these issues anymore. However the X-H1 is definitely the stepchild of Fuji's Kaizen philosophy, which is actually really bad as it was introduced as their flagship camera. There hasn't been a meaningful update since 1.5 years and yet there's a long list of things to improve (which can be done through firmware). My most pressing one next to less erratic AF face detect, is automatic re-adjusting shots in portrait mode when played back/reviewing on the LCD. I don't know why on earth Fuji doesn't do that. They support autorotate, but it doesn't work in playback... I do a lot of portrait work in the studio and all other brands but Fuji, seem to support this.

Posted (edited)

Menu / Set Up / Screen Set-Up / Autorotate PB / Off

Edited by AndyH44

Thanks AndyH44. I found this setting, but it actually disables autorotate in playback. I'd love an autorotate in PB that rotates with how you hold the camera. Like e.g. Sony has...

I guess I don't understand.  If you do "a lot of portrait work" then isn't your camera in that position mostly?

22 hours ago, AndyH44 said:

I guess I don't understand.  If you do "a lot of portrait work" then isn't your camera in that position mostly?

My point is that during shooting Fuji auto rotates the display info nicely. During playback, they don't. You either set Autorotate PB to ON and for portrait mode images you have a tiny view, or you set in OFF and the display info stays static and you have to turn the camera between landscape and portrait. Many others use the gyroscope in the camera also during playback to ensure the right-side-up display of the image. That's for me at least the meaning of Autorotate PB ON.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Herco
      Let me first introduce myself. 57 years and amateur photographer since the age of 12, although with intervals. My passion lies with portrait, fashion, street and urban landscape. All stills photography, almost no video.
      I started with an Olympus OM1 (which I still have and occasionally use) but have been around the block: from Olympus to Nikon to Pentax to Minolta to Canon and Leica. I took a few years off of photography, until someone lend me his X-Pro1 for a day. It reminded me of my M6 and M8. The X-Pro1 was far from perfect. However the camera grew on me and the image quality was so beautiful that it kept me wanting to shoot more.
      When the X-Pro2 came along I immediately upgraded and after a year or so I added an X-T2, which later on I swapped for an X-H1. The X-H1 is a bit big for Fuji standards, but after the EOS 5D its a breeze. In the meanwhile I own 9 XF lenses. Mostly primes, but also the 16-55 (hence the X-H1 for its IBIS). 90mm is the longest focal length I need (and have).
      For me the X-H1 also marks the transition point of Fujifilm. From this point onwards Fuji started to lose me. Let me explain.
      First of all next to the X-T10/20/30 Fuji launched the X-T100/200 line rendering the beautiful X-E line redundant and from what I hear, repealed soon. I understand the commercial viability of video capabilities and a DSLR-style over a rangefinder-style, but speaking of crowded market segments...
      Next to that Fuji launched the X-T3 only a few months after introducing the X-H1. I would have understood this if the hybrid X-H1 had the 26Mp sensor soon followed by the X-T3 with a similar sensor. But cannibalizing a flagship model within half a year or so, dramatically drop its price and discard of any meaningful firmware update for more than 1.5 years, is an insult to buyers. That kind of corporate behaviour is what we previously accused Nikon, Canon and Sony for, but they’ve bettered their lifes. 
      It seems that history is repeating itself with the new X-T4 versus the X-T3. In a few years Fuji went from “video as an after-thougth” to “video-first”. There’s little progress in the X-T4 when it comes to stills. You could even say some degress: the fully articulating screen is not for stills photographers. Occasionally ‘killing your darlings’ is part of progress, but this almost feels like leaving a group of customers behind.
      In the meanwhile Fuji also launched the X-Pro3. I can dig dropping the d-pad and the reversed tilted screen. The titanium top- and bottom plates are a nice touch, but add little to the quality of the camera. What I can’t understand is getting rid of the dual magnification for the OVF. That renders any lens wider than 23mm or longer than 50mm useless in combination with the OVF, which is the main attraction of the X-Pro3. Leica already understood this decades ago...
      Probably Fuji’s best matured camera is the X100V. The style, new lens and tilted screen has defined today’s ultimate street camera. In fact I even consider swapping my beloved X-Pro2 for an X100V. The X100V shows that clearly defining a product line and improve and innovate on a regular basis is a better strategy than creating new and mixing existing product lines. It also makes it easier to maintain a stable pricing strategy.
      My hope is now on the X-H2 to restore ratio in Fuji’s product line-up and break with the recent ‘video-first’ mantra. However, considering the X-H was meant to be the hybrid stills/video camera, I fear the worst. I guess I’m part of a dying breed but Fuji please don’t make me want to buy an A7R...
    • By Marshall Timkii Hoang
      hi guy, I'm using X-h1, X-t1 with few lenses. I wonder should I buy an X100T or an extra 23mm f/2.0 lens. I'm gonna do street photography and sometime travel?

Thank you guys. 
    • By Rockdoc
      How likely is it that Fuji will create new camera and lens deals after the current deals expire on the 17th - for Black Friday and or the Christmas shopping season?
      I have not monitored their sale patterns in past years.
      I'm about to pull the trigger on the X-H1 deal with the 8-16 f 2.8 lens.

• By Herco
      I've just traded-in my X-T2 for an X-H1 since I like it ergonomics and IBIS. Normally I use CaptureOne for raw processing and occasionally ON1 Photo Raw. Their 2020 edition is a big improvement for Fuji shooters.
      However, I wanted to revisit a raw file from my X-T2 and run it again through the in-camera raw converter using X Raw Studio. Much to my surprise, the software didn't accept my X-H1 nor my X-Pro2 to process the X-T2 raw file. It needs to connect to an X-T2 (which I don't own anymore)!! In the user manual Fujifilm states: "Please note, the RAW conversion is only compatible with a RAW file taken by the same camera model as the camera connected to the computer. For example, if the connected camera is a FUJIFILM X-T2, the RAW file must be taken by a FUJIFILM X-T2." I was stunned...
      Is this me doing something wrong or just incredibly bad design by Fujifilm? I fully understand that an older camera can't process newer X-Trans CMOS4/X-Processor4  files. But all of my current camera's are X-Trans CMOS3 and X-Processor Pro just like the X-T2 with which I made the photos. I would expect compatibility to be depending on the sensor/processor combination (and pref some backwards compatibility as well for my X-Pro1 files), but not on the actual precise camera type?! This makes X Raw Studio useless when you update your camera. Clearly not a great business model...
    • Yup, that was what I thought. If you mainly use the viewfinder, then leave that setting turned off. It is intended (when turned on) for those that use the touch screen for viewing and choosing the focus point.
    • What happened to me was the touch screen was on and if my nose touched the screen whilst using the viewfinder, I would move the focus point. It was so annoying I have the touch screen turned off completely
    • X-T2, 90mm (taken through a double-glazed window)   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content.
    • X100f stuck in A and P mode!  I just got my x100f back from servicing and even when I move the aperture ring and shutter dial away from A - it is still in A mode- if I move the aperture ring and shutter dial to A- I am in P mode.   I want M mode- I am pulling my hair out. Am I missing some step in settings or is my camera damaged from servicing? 
    • By chance do you have the settings for touch screen focus turned on? If so, then every time you look through the view finder, the focus point will bounce around like you are describing. Make certain it is turned off in the menus. That setting is more intended to be used with the big lcd screen.