X100F or X-Pro 2 (OVF questions mainly)

Creativestubble

Hi all,

First post here.

Hope some Fuji users can help - any questions answered will be helpful - thanks in advance.

I currently shoot with a Nikon D90 and 50mm prime for street photography. I really want to switch to Fuji. I went to check out the Fuji range and was initially considering the X-T20, X-T2, X-Pro 2. (All with 35mm F2)

After putting the EVF to my eyes for a minute I felt kind of sea sick, Ive never looked through an EVF before. So I am left with OVF as the only option. This leaves the X100F and X-Pro 2 as my only options.

1) I wear glasses - and found the viewfinder very small on the X-Pro 2, the OVF is also quite unusual to use. Does anyone else find it difficult to use (glasses wearers?) Is parallax an issue here?

2) I see the X100F OVF seems much bigger and clearer, do users find this?

3) Im concerned to buy an X100F as the fixed lens may be restrictive - I know it has crop modes, does the OVF adjust to the crop mode selected - or only the frame lines?

4) Should I wait for X-Pro 3 before buying X-Pro 2? (either because X-Pro 2 prices may drop, or because they may improve the OVF on X-Pro 3?)

5) I know they are different cameras - but would you get an X-Pro 2 over an X100F? I like the X-Pro 2 more aesthetically (doesn't mean its better in practice)

Thanks,

Darren

Edited by Creativestubble

• 1 month later...

You need to know for what you want to use your camera! I have a X100F and a junky DSLR (which I'll dump in due time and buy a rugged APS-C or 4/3 pocketable camera, but where to find). The X100F is my EDC (wish it'll be WR) and I like the leafshutter with its great flash-synchronisation. Once I'm older and more settled,  I'll wish to switch to medium format (GFX) - a dream of mine! 

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you both for the replies.

On 10/8/2019 at 7:30 AM, Olaf W. said:

Maybe in your case it makes sense to wait for the X-Pro3 which will get a better optical viewfinder than its predecessor.

True, now that Ive seen the x-pro 3 released spec - I am not pleased with the flip down screen.

On 10/8/2019 at 4:59 AM, WaveDancer said:

You need to know for what you want to use your camera! I have a X100F and a junky DSLR (which I'll dump in due time and buy a rugged APS-C or 4/3 pocketable camera, but where to find). The X100F is my EDC (wish it'll be WR) and I like the leafshutter with its great flash-synchronisation. Once I'm older and more settled,  I'll wish to switch to medium format (GFX) - a dream of mine! 

True, I would like it to be an EDC but concerned that the digital teleconverter cant work in OVF? I think 23mm will be too wide for me. Pity the teleconverter only works in jpeg.