Is my 18-55 a dud? Strange double edges/halos.

Turboff

Hi all,

After years of saving up, reading the Fujirumors site, and all-round excitement, I finally picked up an X-T2 kit last month thanks to the sale. So far I love the camera, and overall I'm satisfied with the results, but I'm not sure about my 18-55mm copy. Occasionally images look quite odd, with a sort of double edge around objects. I do mostly architectural photography, so it's pretty visible around roofs and chimneys, even at 50% zoom. I'm coming from a far older Nikon D70 with its 18-70mm kit lens, and it certainly doesn't exhibit anything similar.

I've attached a 100% crop of an example. For reference, the image is f5.6, 1/210 shutter speed, at 21mm. At f5.6 this bit should definitely be in focus, and the center of the image is very sharp.

Here's a link to the full image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-xjB93pfLURmZOvXs0XOnpAKaMWyFbcl/

The second example is f5, 1/350, 26mm. Full res: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1XSrQiZ9oNdM4tLvDz2PFyzu0v3qN6HNg

In both examples you can see the center is sharp, but then deteriorates quickly in the corners with the strange double edge around the chimneys. At those apertures, with the chimneys only a couple meters back from the focal plane, they should definitely still be in focus. It's not bokeh.

The 18-55 is my first lens with OIS, but both photos were taken with OIS off. Before someone asks, I bought it brand new, never been dropped, etc. 

Any advice much appreciated! This is certainly unexpected and I'm trying to decide if it's worth sending the lens to Fuji. Thank you!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Turboff
More relevant title

I'll preface this by saying that I own TWO copies of the 18-55. Neither has this issue.  Have you tried shooting images with the camera on a tripod, at various apertures?

I really couldn't see the images on your Google drive all that well.

Edited by jlmphotos

11 hours ago, jlmphotos said:

I'll preface this by saying that I own TWO copies of the 18-55. Neither has this issue.  Have you tried shooting images with the camera on a tripod, at various apertures?

I really couldn't see the images on your Google drive all that well.

Thanks for the reply, JLM. To see the photos on Google Drive, use your scroll wheel to zoom in to 100%. 

I shoot quite often with my tripod, but only at night, so it doesn't show up clearly then. 

A good copy of this lens should be very sharp, but I have seen a bad copy. A friend bought an x-t2 together with an 18-55mm. Compared to my copy it was awful! So Fuji do make the odd bad lens. However the results didn't look quite like yours. I suspect you do have a bad copy but before you jump to conclusions you might like to do some better controlled tests. Remove any filter that you have attached. Poor quality filters can give this kind of effect. Take the camera outside as obviously you don,t want to shoot through glass. Select a distant view so that depth of field doesn't matter too much. Switch off the OIS on the lens and mount the camera on a tripod. Do not extend the centre column. Take test shots using the two second self timer to avoid shaking the camera. Take one at max aperture and one at f5.6 at 18mm and 55mm. It's possible that the OIS is responsible in which case you will have to switch it on and try some hand held shots.

Good luck

• 3 months later...

Your lens is definitely decentered or slightly off. I have one very similar and i see images like this in one corner when shoot at 18mm f2,8. 21mm f3,2 or what is the widest aperture is okey. Also 18mm f8 seems to be okay on my lens. Image is also okey when i focus on the soft edge. Then the whole image is sharp. You should try that. OIS off, 1/250 ss and various focal length wide open and try to focus on the corner of the image. In my opinion you have a bad copy. There is a lot of bad copies of 18-55 out there.