Old school macro lenses

azmmount

I was looking into old manual macro lenses to adapt to my X-T1 because I was less than enamored with the native Fuji options. The 60mm only did 1:2 and the Zeiss is pretty expensive. My original plan was to wait for the 120mm from Fuji but I found myself missing the macro capability and not liking the extension tube thing too much (too complicated figuring out which tube to use and too restrictive with composition once I picked one or both). 

So I stumbled across a Super Multi Coated Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 on the eBay in a condition I was willing to purchase at a price I was willing to pay. As a bonus it came bundled with a complete set of extension tubes, an extra "short" tube, and a bellows (all also in excellent condition - none of which I have used yet though). This lens seemed to be fairly well regarded even though it too was only a 1:2 lens (the first, uncoated version, was 1:1 but there were only 2 on eBay when I looked and both were much more expensive and in much worse condition).

I am super impressed with this lens. It is sharp. Contrasty. Has a nice smooth bokeh. Maybe I'm missing something but I just can't understand how a lens that appears to be this good can sell for this cheap (around 100USD - less if you are willing to accept one with less than near perfect condition).

Here are a couple of my test shots with it taken over the past week or so. Most (if not all) are handheld at f/4 because I'm stupid like that.

Grasshoppers:

20228185588_1b395b0b72_b.jpg

This one also used a focal reducer/ speed booster:

19825297443_f33dcf288f_b.jpg

Flowers:

20228121830_f04727d339_b.jpg

20452450391_6384edd09c_b.jpg

Portrait:

20419986036_bf78875c8c_b.jpg

The flicker album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskh47Y1y

I am interested to see other old macro adapted results.

Mike

I was looking into old manual macro lenses to adapt to my X-T1 because I was less than enamored with the native Fuji options. The 60mm only did 1:2 and the Zeiss is pretty expensive. My original plan was to wait for the 120mm from Fuji but I found myself missing the macro capability and not liking the extension tube thing too much (too complicated figuring out which tube to use and too restrictive with composition once I picked one or both). 

So I stumbled across a Super Multi Coated Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 on the eBay in a condition I was willing to purchase at a price I was willing to pay. As a bonus it came bundled with a complete set of extension tubes, an extra "short" tube, and a bellows (all also in excellent condition - none of which I have used yet though). This lens seemed to be fairly well regarded even though it too was only a 1:2 lens (the first, uncoated version, was 1:1 but there were only 2 on eBay when I looked and both were much more expensive and in much worse condition).

Seems like a fair price, with the stuff that was bundled. Purpose-built macro lenses tend to be very sharp, and highly corrected at short distances. Even though Pentax in the film era was regarded as entry-level/consumer-level without the CaNikon cachet, Takumar optics were respected. However, being Pentax would lower the price, and the fact that it is an f/4.0 would also have a negative impact upon pricing. 

azmmount, I read your post, saw your pictures, and liked them so much that I bought the lens off eBay.  I live in New York so yesterday I went to B&H and bought an adapter.  One of the men behind the counter told me a lot about the lens, said it was excellent quality.  I took it home, shot a few, and all of you are right.  I love macro!  Thank you for your post. 

another great lens is vivitar series1 2.5/90 macro. (also known as "bokina") all handheld

had the same thoughts as azmmount and found by accident above lens on a flea market... it`s pretty much fun!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

@bigbadwolf - That second shot is quite striking. May I ask what it is? Mike

thanks - it`s part of a fountain sculpture in front of a church. on top of the sculpture is a bowl permanently refilled with water. the bowl has a plug hole creating a suck. inside the suck parts of the church and tower are mirrored. here another part of it with the same lens.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!