All about that Hood

rdelbar

I used to pretty much always leave the hoods on my 18 and 35, but since I got my 23 and don't like it's massive hood, I've been leaving all three at home.

I'd love to find a smaller metal hood to use on the 23, but ideally I'd like something that will still mount the lens cap. Not sure if that's possible.

I'd love to find a smaller metal hood to use on the 23, but ideally I'd like something that will still mount the lens cap. Not sure if that's possible.

Totally possible. Just order a generic pinch-style lens cap that is 1mm (with some metal hoods 2mm) smaller than your filter size.

Doesn't the "vented" hood defeat the purpose of protecting the lens from side-light and flare? 

The "vents" are only open looking from the back (or front). It is as good as impossible for light coming from the sides to hit the front lens element.

Just order a generic pinch-style lens cap that is 1mm (with some metal hoods 2mm) smaller than your filter size.

I have updated by blog post with a quick overview table, showing which hoods types and sizes work with each XF lens, and have also indicated the appropriate sizes for additional lens caps:

medium.jpg

I have updated by blog post with a quick overview table, showing which hoods types and sizes work with each XF lens, and have also indicated the appropriate sizes for additional lens caps:

medium.jpg

That's for pinch caps that cover the front of the hood. Please add measures for the inner diameter too, since most people prefer having caps inside the hood  :)

Please add measures for the inner diameter too, since most people prefer having caps inside the hood  :)

Because of their shape, the wide hoods no not hold pinch caps inside the hood (near the front lens element).

The cylindrical hoods in general still accept the original Fujifilm lens cap (i.e. same diameter as filter thread size) but in my experience do not hold these caps tightly in place. In addition, especially for the deeper ones, inserting the cap creates the risk of scratching the grooved interior, which ultimately will expose bare metal and potentially cause reflections.

In both above cases, I prefer and recommend caps that cover the front of the hood.

The vented hoods all perfectly accept the original lens caps, which then get to sit halfway into the hood (past the vents, so the space immediately in front of the lens is sealed off).

I think, when going to replace one hood to another for any reason, it's a good time to remember why a hood intended for. And how a specific hood optically matched (yes!) to particular lens.

Otherwise there are countless reasons for replacing and, while main hood's job is shaded, easy to finish with some aesthetic add-on to the lens who just stops to be the good lens hood.

For example: if protection is target, why not attach rubber hood, it best for shock absorbing job. Even it works a bit as a hood.