Fuji X-T10 FW 1.01 Released!

Patrick FR

INdeed

However as well as fixing the Windows 10 compatability issues the following improvements are introduced.

- Improvement of “Eye detection AF” speed when used with XF90mm
– Operational improvement of Fn1 Function button (Default setting : movie shooting)
– Angle difference between jpeg image and jpeg image converted from RAW file

Now the first one is only of interest to 90mm users and the last one sounds like it may well be X-T10 specfic as opposed to X-T1

However I think there are quite a few people who are going to be very interested in the operational improvement of the Fn1 button (movie button)

Some would very much like this to be able to be assigned to other functions such as face recognition etc. Some like me would like it to maybe switch camera into Video mode but not start recording video. Ie I could press this button, and it siwtchs camera into the video drive mode. Then I press shutter to actually start recording.

If so can we have this on the X-T1 please, pretty please :)

The reality is that the above improvements are probably all going to be rolled up into X-T1 Firmware 5 that is rumoured as they don't need to rush it as its already compatable with windows 10.

Makes me very excited about the Firmware 5 as I think they are going to use it to push the X-T1 clearly to the top of the heap so its very clearly flagship and then X-T10 and X-E2 will be roughly similar in spec.

– Operational improvement of Fn1 Function button (Default setting : movie shooting)

[...]

However I think there are quite a few people who are going to be very interested in the operational improvement of the Fn1 button (movie button)

Some would very much like this to be able to be assigned to other functions such as face recognition etc. Some like me would like it to maybe switch camera into Video mode but not start recording video. Ie I could press this button, and it siwtchs camera into the video drive mode. Then I press shutter to actually start recording.

If so can we have this on the X-T1 please, pretty please :)

Agree that it's the only one that will actually interest anyone. As an X-T10 user it's not exactly what I wanted, but it will help.

The full description makes it clear that all they are changing is to REMOVE the ability to hold down that button for 2s to change it's function (so you have to hold down "back/disp" or use the menus to change what it does). This will mean that I won't accidentally trigger the function-changing UI when I was just trying to use the button itself, which will be a huge benefit since that's what made the button so inconsistent (i.e. having to hold it down long enough to trigger video, but not long enough to trigger function-change).

That said it's not what I wanted because IMHO it's NOT a button I would push by accident while turning the Exp. Comp. dial (as they imply in the release notes). It's too recessed for that to happen anyway, and the caution the are applying is redundant. I'd rather have the button activate immediately on press like the others, and keep the ability to re-assign it on the fly (I love that feature on every other button). 

Oh well, at least they heard our screams of frustration and gave us a simple solution that will make the button more useful. 

FWIW though I have no faith at all that this signals any meaningful changes to how video works on X-T* cameras. I wouldn't be surprised to see the video button be re-programmable on the X-T1 - which is a no-brainer at this point - but this new FW doesn't give me any reason to think we'll be seeing a "mode"-based video option in the future. 

Even getting a re-programmable video button on X-T1 isn't a sure thing though. This change fixes a BUG on the X-T10 caused by making it re-programmable, but that BUG doesn't exist on the X-T1 yet, so it may not get the same amount of attention. 

P.S. Fuji if you're listening give us a programmable trash button already!

... and keep the ability to re-assign it on the fly (I love that feature on every other button). 

You use that? I had thought it was one of those useless fluff features :) Still can't quite grasp a scenario where I would need to change the functionality of a programmable button quicker than I could do through the menu.

You use that? I had thought it was one of those useless fluff features :) Still can't quite grasp a scenario where I would need to change the functionality of a programmable button quicker than I could do through the menu.

On the X-T10 I don't have enough buttons for what I need (ISO, Face detect, AF mode, shutter type, WB, video, wifi) and I've been training myself to quickly reprogram the fn button between a few of them. It's pretty fast once you get used to the order of the options in the picking menu, and it doesn't take as much attention as using a real menu. There's a lot of times when I only need one of WB/AF mode/Shutter type (i.e. flash/no flash normal/macro) that a quick way to reprogram makes a huge difference. 

Of course having the video button in particular locked down to a particular function isn't the end of the world at all. Given it's delicacy it would be the last one I'd choose to reprogram on the fly. I'll probably keep it as Face Detection now, since it's a good "push once and forget" function (unlike ISO/WB etc which require further attention).