ISO 12,800 with 23 F2 - Festival Portraits

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought you all may be interested in seeing some super low light photos. I was using the 23 F2 but wish I had the 1.4 in this situation. (I used the 16mm 1.4 on the wide shots of the stages). I still think the camera managed the noise well. ...noise reduction in PS.  

Low Light Festival Portraits

Majority of the photos were shot at 6400 and above. 1/3 of them were at 12800  - all handheld with no flash  

Obviously  they wouldn’t be good for printing but I think good enough for the web. 

note: if you want to pixel peep first select the photo so it goes into the light box slideshow. Photos were exported from LR at 2000px long edge (not full resolution). 

Note note: some of you may know how to describe this better than me but an F2 on a crop sensor is equivalent to approx 3.2 on a full frame camera  .. as well as lenses you also have to do the crop calculation on the F-stop  is that correct? 

Edited by sean73

Some folks will tell you 'no'. Put a "full frame lens" on an apc-sensor based camera and use the aperture ring to stop it to oh, say f-4. It is f-4 regardless of the sensor size. The part of the image that hits the sensor is coming from the center of the lens which is where the lens-equivalent conversion factor part comes into consideration.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By teplosvet
      Greetings, 
      Starting with a Nikon D750 + Sigma 50mm f/1.4 i recently moved to Fujifilm X-T4 + Fujinon 23mm f/2.
      I started photography to cope with my bipolar disorder and big depression which i had my whole life. In the beginning i photographed all my friends, tried to find myself in portrait niche, but quickly understood that i just cant take pictures as they want me to. And i do not use photoshop or lightroom, i am not a fan of retouch. I mastered Capture One at some point, but now i do not see any use of it, as Fuji cameras already have everything needed inside of them. After all, i do not position myself as a photographer or retoucher, its just a hobby, and i try to catch things as my damaged head sees them. For example, here is a portrait of my mother, which was just a test shot:

Things now changed as i am currently working as an activity manager at a center where people with special needs live. People who live here are the most kind, honest and charismatic people i have ever met. I decided that i will try to spread their joy with the help of my hobby, and my employer was instantly hyped with the idea (god bless this woman). Here are some of the first pictures taken, thanks to Alexander who was happy to model:

If you are Interested in things i share, you can check my instagram at @dom.teplosvet 
      So, i guess that will be all for now from me.
      Stay kind and spread joy, fellow photographers!
    • By Argentus
      Hello. I just acquired a EF X20 Flash. I put it on the hot shoe but my XT2 (firmware 4.40) recognizes it as in sync terminal. So I can only acces the Manual mode (the TTL Mode in Flash Settings is grayed out). The flash does fire on Manual, but the TTL is not working.
      When I put the EF X8 Flash, it simply does not even fire. 
      I am on single shot and mechanic shutter.
      Any ideas what might be happening?
      Thanks a lot!

• By AllanY
      I am struggling with underexposed videos using my X-T3 and 10-24mm with interior Real Estate videos even with a decent amount of natural and ambient light. The footage is just too dark unless I pump up the ISO to 4000 where it gets really noisy.
      What are the best wide-angle lenses for the X-T3 with regards to interior Real Estate videography where it's usually low light? Also, is there a budget friendly option? I've gone through the Complete Overview of X Mount Lenses but I was hoping for some recommendations specific to the industry and video.
      Thanks for any help guys!
      Settings:
      4K 29.97P I would prefer 59.94P to slow down some shots YouTube encoding prefers 30P ss60 F4.0 ISO 800-4000 200Mbps H.264 / H.265 Long GOP / ALL-Intra Eterna Custom White Balance DR400 Film Simulation Recording / F-Log Recording
    • By ibraxwane
      Hi guys,
      Hope you're all well.
      My Fuji randomly stopped turning on a few weeks ago. The screen turns on but not completely (as seen on the attachments). Changing to the Viewfinder also doesn't work, shutter doesn't go off...nothing works. When I turn it off, the screen stays on; I have to remove the battery for my camera to shut down. I've interchanged between my 3 batteries multiple times, and the problem persists.
      I've looked for solutions on forums, but never found anything that fits. Tried updating the firmware through an SD card but the camera won't even turn on for the update to begin in the first place.

Any tips? I'd love to hear from you guys!
      Cheers,
      Ibra

• Any update on this issue? My xpro3 was purchased earlier this year, still under warranty. But I cannot turn it on at all. After a shoot last Saturday, I left it on its shelf and picked it up to shoot this morning: totally unresponsive. Tried 4 different Fuji batteries all charged. No luck. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you. 
    • The reply I received from Fuji back a while ago   “Thank you for your patience regarding this issue.     After speaking to our camera service engineers, they told me there is no coating on the new cameras and while the new LCD panels have a similar colour gamut, they are no longer calibrated by the factory in the same way that they used to be.   They believe this changed around the end of 2019 but they weren't sure.  Nothing that should make a black and white image look sepia though, the LCD will be slightly warmer out of the box.   In the same way that most TV screens and monitors are not colour calibrated from the factory, the LCD screens on our cameras are not either and instead have the option to be adjusted manually by the end user to their preference.   I appreciate this is probably not what you are looking for, but this is how the new generation of cameras are made” I tested a GFX50s I store that was traded in. No issues with the lcd - Seems the more money you spend the lcd is then properly calibrated. The lower end cameras under 1K they ain’t.    very sad to see
    • I'm trying to understand the unmarked aperture ring on the K&F Concept lens adapter. I recently purchased the K&F Concept Minolta AF (Sony A) to Fuji X lens adapter to use with my old Minolta AF lenses; specifically the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7-f22. With the adapter installed (Fujifilm X-E2S), the camera does not show the aperture selected; understandably as this is a "dumb" adapter. The combination works very well together and I have no complaints. The adapter has a clicked aperture ring that allows for 9 stops from fully open to fully closed. Would the 9 stops equate to f1.7, f2, f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, f11, f16, f22 for the Minolta AF 50mm f1.7-f22 lens?   Many Thanks!
    • Welcome here, Charles