Camera settings that apply when shooting RAW

MattX

I'm trying to work out which camera settings are applied to the RAW files on the X-T1.

I shoot 'RAW only' with a load of settings applied, including ones on the Q menu e.g. film simulation Chrome, sharpness +1, dynamic range 100 etc.

Are these settings actually applied to the RAW file when it is downloaded to my laptop? I work with Capture One Pro 8 on a Macbook Pro. Reading through a ton of web pages and people's opinion about only shooting jpg I'm suddenly unsure if any of the settings I tweak on the camera are actually applied to the file when I download it and am starting to get the impression these settings are only applied to jpg files.

Matt.

As far as I can tell, none of the settings are affecting the raw files, which would be normal behind the ideology of shooting in raw formats.

But they are indeed taken into consideration when shooting jpegs. The only setting I am unsure is the DR, it doesn't look like it is being applied to raw files but I am rather uncertain as I did not really set up any tests for that.

RAW data is only affected by exposure, so only settings that affect the exposure will affect the contents of the RAW file. Things like aperture, shutter speed, exp. comp, ISO and DR come to mind.

I think the author meant what settings does the raw converter detect and apply to RAW automatically during import. For example when I shoot RAW+JPEG 1:1 Lightroom imports RAW only files as 1:1. Nevertheless I can still reset the crop to original 3:2 image.

I think the author meant what settings does the raw converter detect and apply to RAW automatically during import. For example when I shoot RAW+JPEG 1:1 Lightroom imports RAW only files as 1:1. Nevertheless I can still reset the crop to original 3:2 image.

That depends on the RAW converter that is used. There are more than a dozen converters out there that support X-Trans to some extent, so somebody could make a list that should at least include lens metadata corrections, DR settings and Fuji film simulations. I already did that work to some extent with several popular converters (LR, Iridient, Aperture, Silkypix, PhotoNinja, Capture One) in my book, but there's always more, so feel free to add to the list.

Almost all metadata settings and maker notes are stored in the RAW file, as well, but there are a few exceptions. To see the differences, all one has to do is open a RAW and a corresponding SOOC JPEG in ExifTool and compare the EXIF contents. 

RAW data is only affected by exposure, so only settings that affect the exposure will affect the contents of the RAW file. Things like aperture, shutter speed, exp. comp, ISO and DR come to mind.

This makes sense...

But yes, Dis, I am assuming Capture One Pro will apply the above. Obviously things like aperture affect the light falling on the sensor so there is no 'setting' to record but how about DR? Also you have my thoughts spot on, if I set the sharpness to +1 would Capture One RAW convertor apply this when converting or is this not recorded at all in camera when shooting RAW only?

But yes, Dis, I am assuming Capture One Pro will apply the above. Obviously things like aperture affect the light falling on the sensor so there is no 'setting' to record but how about DR? Also you have my thoughts spot on, if I set the sharpness to +1 would Capture One RAW convertor apply this when converting or is this not recorded at all in camera when shooting RAW only?

Sadly I can't help you with this. You have to wait for smb who does use Capture One.

Yes I wish lightroom would try to mimic the in-camera settings at the time of shooting raw (like film simulation, shadows etc). It gives you a closer starting point with your images rather than them being fully reset by lightroom.

There are already fuji simulation camera profiles, even if it just auto loaded that for the images. 

Best use the built-in Fuji RAW converter for this.

One major purpose of Lightroom is to equalize the RAWs from countless different camera models from different brands with different sensors from the past 10-15 years to a common denominator, so settings and presets (selfmade and commercial) work with all of them. Lightroom is the big equalizer.

Lightroom will never be able to perfectly emulate the Fujifilm look, especially not the smooth highlights from Fuji's DR function. It's lacking the features to do so. Iridient will lead to better results. So will AfterShot Pro, btw (which I recently tested out of curiosity, but that software has other issues).

Not sure about Capture One but LR 6 does allow some film type processeses.

If I remember correctly, in the Develop module go to Calibration and under the Adobe CR version there is another dropdown (can't remember what it's called) which allows you to select various processeses that mirror the Fuji 'film types' ie Velvia. Apply these to an image and then save these as a preset, which you can then use on import if you wish.

Hope that makes sense and is helpful.

RAW is RAW, that tells it, no ?

What affects the RAW are you settings during exposure (ISO, shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation) that's it.

Things you fix with the Q menu, shadows, highlights, film simulation, etc. are only applied on JPEG if you shoot it or if you shoot RAW+Fine for example.

• 1 month later...