M42 to EF adapters

Hi all,

I just picked up a couple of M42 lenses. I decided to grab the EF to Fuji X adapters (a plain one and a focal reducer) and some cheaper M42 to EF adapters for each lens. However, when I put the M42 adapter on the lens I find that I can no longer adjust the aperture :( This is because the adapter presses on the aperture lever on the back of the lens enough so that you can no longer turn the aperture ring. Is this a common issue with these adapters? Is there anything I should look for when buying an adapter to avoid this in the future?

Here is a test shot with the SMC Macro-Takumar 50mm f/4 and straight adapter (taken handheld at f/4 in slight wind <-- that's my excuse):

19713121543_6118c2a296_c.jpg

I can see that there will be some getting used to shooting with full manual lenses. The focus peaking and aids never seem to be there when I anticipate them. I realize that when I half press the shutter it all goes away and I'm used to fine tuning focus with the shutter half pressed for some reason.

Mike

you can actually buy several types of adapters, some have, for example, a double ring which allows you to remove one part of the ring ( the part that is now in the way) and leaving the other.

I have also found that these kind of adapters work for example with lenses like a screw mount Pentax which had a mechanism to actually show the aperture chosen in the camera, this happens by means of a square piece of metal on the lens which interferes with many cheaper and simpler adapters.

The "square piece of metal" is the problem with this adapter.

I see now that there are slightly different listings for the M42 adapters. They don't seem to be clearly differentiated on eBay though (at least not to my simple mind). Some say "Pentax M42" but the picture looks the same. I'll have to shoot a message off to some of the sellers to see if it will work or not (if they even know). Thanks, Mike

actually you can see how they differ:

The first one has just the screw mount and then there is nothing past that.

The second one has an outer inside ring  designed to push in the prong of the aperture which allows you, with some lenses which don’t have a manual-auto setting ( Pentax do generally speaking have them), to operate the aperture which otherwise would stay always open.

There is a Third type with the inner prong pushig ring , made of an extra, removable inner (generally black) ring.

Another word of advise.

These adapters all have a aluminum surface towards the sensor , if you use it, paint it black, it can only limit the possibility that there are internal reflections.

Cheers!  There are several types of Helios, my favorite has no automatic aperture ( and therefore more blades). and you can chose whether the aperture is continuous with no stops or with clicks.

This type needs no flange. Anyway the best adapter have a removable flange. Another thing, paint the aluminum part inside of the adapter, in black.

I did not get the preset version of the Helios - it was too expensive for experimentation. I got a 44M-2 - the ad said "MADE IN USSR JUPITER / VALDAI 1990 YEAR HAS A 8-BLADES IRIS."

Actually... now that I look at the ad again I guess I did get the preset version - cool :) The Macro-Takumar preset version was the one that was too expensive.

The adapter I go is all black.

I'm going to spend some time with this Takumar and see how I feel about the whole manual focus and 1/2x magnification thing. I did get a full set of the extension tunes and a bellows with it - so, I believe I can reach out to 3x if I wanted. At 1/2x it appears I get a subject just under 2 inches wide at the most. That is with the straight adapter - I also have one of the cheap speed booster/focal reducers - I assume I can not get as close using that.