Sony Zeiss FE 35mm f/1.4 vs. Fuji XF 23mm f/1.4

Maurice

I debated between the two cameras systems before I purchased my first X - X-E1.

I decided I wanted the smaller size and weight. The X-T1 and my lenses are very good--good enough I use them professionally.

My Canon 5D Mk II & lenses sit in the case most of the time. The Canon set will be sold when the next generation of the X-T1/X-Pro comes out.

I own the XF23 ... 

... but also must admit that i've just started to appreciate Zeiss lenses. (I have an old 1.7/50 Planar with CY mount and and a new 2.0/50 macro planar ZF both of them using on analog bodies as well as on the X-T1). This said i'm rather "neutral" (b.t.w. ... i am a swiss guy.)

However ... the modern Zeiss lenses for my taste are too big and heavy. As i said i know the 2.0/50 m.p., and when i see how big the FE 35/1.4 is compared to the XF23, which is definitively not a lightweight.

But, well, top optical quality requires a certain size.

I wouldn't consider the XF23 as "mediocre", not at all ... and such tests with a few test pics are hard to interpret for me. But i believe the Zeiss FE 35mm is a damn good lense.

P.S. 2 typos at the beginning: XF 24mm ... Diameter: 72mm  ...  :P

I debated between the two cameras systems before I purchased my first X - X-E1.

I decided I wanted the smaller size and weight. The X-T1 and my lenses are very good--good enough I use them professionally.

My Canon 5D Mk II & lenses sit in the case most of the time. The Canon set will be sold when the next generation of the X-T1/X-Pro comes out.

Me too (only I already sold my Canon gear  ;) ). I liked the Fuji design philosophy/user interface/colours/etc more, but that's a different story. The main reason for me was that most of (if not all) of the Sony full frame lenses were still so large that they negated the point of a smaller system IMHO. Yeah, a smaller body with a slightly smaller lens is smaller than a DSLR overall, but they get front heavy really easily, and they're still fairly big and bulky. 

Even including the noticeable jump in image quality wide open, that Zeiss 35 1.4 is so huge on the A7ii, it looks like a 24-70. Especially with what I consider to be a walk-around lens, the smaller size of the Fuji glass was what sealed the deal for me. Compare the XF 56 1.2 to the Canon 85 1.2, or even the 85 1.8.