Aperture ring on 16mm too loose?

jeremyclarke

Just putting this out there so I don't feel so alone. Anyone else find the aperture ring on the 16mm f/1.4 way too loose for practicality? 

Half the time when I go to take my first shot I miss it because the lens got accidentally moved to f/16 and I need to push it back to "A". Makes me want to just leave it on f/1.4 all the time so at least when it moves it doesn't make my shot impossible, but that's not a good solution either. 

The same thing happens on my 35mm f/1.4, but somehow not nearly as often, maybe it's just because the 16mm is so big that the ring brushes up on more stuff, but it's starting to drive me crazy. I've been fantasizing about putting a rubber band on it just to slow things down, but then it would be hard to see what aperture it was at. 

I wish that if nothing else the "A" position on Fuji lenses was a harder click then the rest so I could depend on it. Switching to f/16 when I'm expecting an auto-exposure of f/1.4 is a real drag. 

• 4 months later...

I'd say it about the same as 56mm. I'm OK with it. 23 is worse and 90 is way better. In fact 90 is perfect for me.

The 90mm and the new 35 f 2 are perfect. Everything else pales in comparison. My copy of the 23 had a stiffer feel but not as good as the 90 and 35f2 do. But I sold the 23 so don't have to worry about that anymore. My first copy of the 56 was a total joke. If you breathed on it hard it moved. 2nd copy was much better.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought the 56 mm and noticed that the when I turn the aperture ring to A, I can even go a litte bit further... (the indicator line is then slightly left of the A and i can wiggle a bit back and forth on towards the A setting)

Can someone confirm that this is normal? 

Thanks!

I think the looseness of the aperture ring is a design failure on all Fuji lenses. There should be a locking mechanism for the aperture ring's "A" position. The Canon FD lenses are a good example for this. I had numerous times where unwantedly the aperture ring moved away from the "A" position, for instance to f/22, resulting is a faulty picture.

Sounds familiar? What's your idea on this?

• 4 years later...

I have this issue on the 16 1.4, 23 1.4 and 56 1.2. All 3 are really lose. It makes them a nightmare to shoot with as I’m constantly having to check it hasn’t moved for each shot, as my hand is naturally holding it when i shoot, it’s easily moved. There are barely any ‘stops’ at all for each setting, it’s like a smooth rotation with some subtle bumps as I turn it. 

don’t get me wrong - all 3 lenses are fantastic. Chuffed to bits with them, but the aperture rings are completely awful. It’s a love hate relationship...

Are Fuji not offering any fix for this issue? Seems crazy given their value and they’re usually good with the customer service. Any advice (that won’t void my warranty!!) would be appreciated.