Depends. Current models are supposed to receive updates (after all, it makes sense to improve models that are currently sold and competing in the marketplace). The X100T is quite current, and will be till at least 2016. So is the X30, btw, which could also benefit from the improved AF. X100S and X20? Not current, hence no more feature updates.

So there are reasonable and unreasonable expectations. I prefer the former, so I am concentrating on improving the X30, X100T and X-E2 as long as they stay current and haven't been replaced with a successor.

So you are saying cameras that can be bought new are not current?.....most people including myself bought the fuji cameras knowing that they lack basic things like focusing peaking ( XE 1/Pro 1) or a fast AF.... and fuji managers were making statements like we want our customers to use their camera for a long time.  And they did use KAIZEN as a marketing tool.  And if you think that offering firmware update for old product is something special in 2015, you should consider this: Microsoft is offering windows 10 to users of windows 7 for free.....

So you are saying cameras that can be bought new are not current?

Can be. But not necessarily. The point is that the older model has been replaced by a newer one.

Sony for example is still selling three different RX100 models (Mk 1, Mk 2, Mk 3) at different prices. But they'd never upgrade one of the two older models. If there's any firmware feature upgrade, it would be for the Mk 3.

you should consider this: Microsoft is offering windows 10 to users of windows 7 for free.....

If Fujifilm was in the operating system business, they might be inclined to consider this. But they aren't. They are in the camera business. As long as Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. don't give free current cameras to customers who bought an older model 5 years ago, I don't think Fujifilm will consider such a move (Interestingly, Samsung is giving free cameras to folks who buy TVs and washing machines to boost their market share). 

"...

you should consider this: Microsoft is offering windows 10 to users of windows 7 for free....."

Ahem. Free for the FIRST YEAR. "Windows as Service" after that. 

Maybe camera makers should consider a subscription model. Always get the latest X100 series hardware and regular incremental feature updates for 49.99 dollars per month.

If Fujifilm was in the operating system business, they might be inclined to consider this. But they aren't. They are in the camera business. As long as Nikon, Canon, Sony etc. don't give free current cameras to customers who bought an older model 5 years ago, I don't think Fujifilm will consider such a move (Interestingly, Samsung is giving free cameras to folks who buy TVs and washing machines to boost their market share). 

Well, you were the one that was comparing Fujifilm to car companies the other day with your porsche example, that´s why i mentioned Microsoft windows 10.....Nikon, Sony, and Canon as far as i know never used KAIZEN as a marketing tool.I wouldn´t have paid the premium price on the X series if it wasn´t for the KAIZEN promise. I can understand that you have a diffirent opinion on this. But you should understand too that, there are fuji customers who are out there asking Fuji to keep their word. People who are not willing to accept the excuses that you are giving on behalf of Fujifilm here.

Just when I thought everybody had stopped making pictures with their X100S because it's unusable and can't make photographs, now that it doesn't have CC or a better AF while its successor has it, and I see this taken May the 30???

Someone should tell this man to stay at home and complain on the internets!

18155034399_cb7ed02ffd_b.jpgUntitled by gioVanni stiMolo, on Flickr

Of course they are. It's smart. They are now selling the X100T. The S is EOL. 

The real question is: Will the X100T receive the new AF system? As of now, it doesn't look like it, and that's unfortunate, because the hardware would perfectly support it. Instead, they plan on updating the X-E2 in a few months.

Where do you get this idea from when the general consensus says the X-E series will be discontinued, X-E2 is the last of that line, X-Pro2 will be supported by X-A/M replacement in rangefinder style, alongside X-Tx and Txx series.  Fuji are playing a dangerous game as things are, reps are informing dealers that X-E series is dead, now this could be to encourage buyers to clear up existing X-E2 stocks in readiness for an X-E3 release while in the meantime buyers might be looking to other manufacturers to upgrade or replace an ageing Fuji camera.  

As regards Fuji themselves they are as tight lipped as if their lips had been stitched together over it, there is absolutely no hint of an X-E3 in the near future or even next year coming, one of course hopes there will be with a new sensor, as for myself my X-E1 will have to satisfy until it dies, then I will have to see what is out there or go entirely with the E-M1 I also use, it is a better body than the T series for me.

reps are informing dealers that X-E series is dead

Neither reps nor dealers know Fuji's plans for future products. And if they happen to know things, they aren't allowed to talk about them, especially not to customers whose first action is to post it on a public Fuji forum.

Of course, there are always folks (reps, dealers, forum users) who make up stuff to sound important. The less they know, the more they tend to tell. Now, since I actually do know pretty much everything about product planning, I can't and won't tell you anything about it. That would be really bad form (not to mention violating NDAs), so I tend to restrict my communication to what has already been revealed by Toshi and other managers in interviews (and they have said plenty and were incredibly open about future products). There was also a statement at a press conference that Fuji has no plans to abandon the rangefinder form-factor. 

But hey, better ask a dealer or a rep, I'm sure they will come up with something. ;) Meanwhile, I am waiting for my X-E2 upgrade this fall.

Neither reps nor dealers know Fuji's plans for future products. And if they happen to know things, they aren't allowed to talk about them, especially not to customers whose first action is to post it on a public Fuji forum.

Of course, there are always folks (reps, dealers, forum users) who make up stuff to sound important. The less they know, the more they tend to tell. Now, since I actually do know pretty much everything about product planning, I can't and won't tell you anything about it. That would be really bad form (not to mention violating NDAs), so I tend to restrict my communication to what has already been revealed by Toshi and other managers in interviews (and they have said plenty and were incredibly open about future products). There was also a statement at a press conference that Fuji has no plans to abandon the rangefinder form-factor. 

But hey, better ask a dealer or a rep, I'm sure they will come up with something. ;) Meanwhile, I am waiting for my X-E2 upgrade this fall.

Hi Flysurfer,

One point, I never said Fuji were abandoning the Rangefinder format, I said they were ending the X-E series but were continuing with the X-Pro and X-A/M series.  As a minor point, like you I will be waiting for the Autumn upgrade for the X-E2 upgrade having just picked up a mint used example (user has moved to Olympus), am not waiting to see what Fuji will do for certain.

If you are so close to Fuji perhaps you can answer one question for me.  "Why has Fuji not provided certain 'upgrades' to the X100S to the general public, while it has given it to a favoured few?" 

If you are so close to Fuji perhaps you can answer one question for me.  "Why has Fuji not provided certain 'upgrades' to the X100S to the general public, while it has given it to a favoured few?" 

Fuji never provided upgraded firmware to X100S users (I certainly didn't get one, even though I asked). Of course Zack Arias and David Hobby (now along with Kevin Mullins and Damien Lovegrove) are ultra-favored by Fujifilm (as they are prominent X photographers with a big followership), so they received parts of the X100T firmware for their X100S bodies when the X100T hardware wasn't ready. But they were also paid to use those cameras to produce sample images, promote the camera and/or deliver motivational speeches at Photokina. I think it's fair to assume that most or even all early X100T sample images in the X100T brochure and on the Fuji website were shot using a X100S with "special" firmware.

Well it's obvious to anybody who knows a bit about programming that providing a beta, quickly "hacked" firmware to four people to beta-test and delivering a finished product to the world is not the same thing.

I'm not arguing they could not have done it, but don't jump too quickly to conclusions like "they could just have released it to the public".

We're not aware of everything, the bugs, side impact on performance, who knows.

The quality of the sensor and the lens is a major reason I bought the X100s (and the X-E2) but another reason I rated very high was Fuji's reputation for firmware upgrades for its cameras. Fuji should continue that for the X100s (and X-E2) unless they're going to tell us the X100T is nothing more than an X100s with newer software rather than a new camera with new hardware and newer mechanical features.

... FujiFilm firmware support for x100s stinks.

FujiFilm deliberately limited firmware functionality of x100s not supporting full hardware potential of it.

That's exactly the point. The x100s FW should take full advantage of the hardware. That's the essence of kaizen right? We x100s owners are fully aware of the hardware limitations. the x100t is already superior to the x100s. Most new clients will buy the x100t over the x100s now anyways because of its superior hardware. It just doesn't feel right that owners of the x100s have a camera which isn't the camera it could potentially be.

Well I've got some news for you, the X100T has wifi, a bigger LCD, a faster EVF, added aperture stops, expanded Exposure Comp, and some more.

Exactly! The x100t has superior hardware! There shouldn't be a reason for Fuji to hold back a FW upgrade for the x100s

Well I've got some news for you, the X100T has wifi, a bigger LCD, a faster EVF, added aperture stops, expanded Exposure Comp, and some more.

Not interested. Wanna more shiny little toys? Go buy Olympus. Or Sony. Or something. Who needs EVF on X100...?

What I really want is reassignable buttons on my ol' trusted X100S I travelled the world with. And maybe little faster AF (for my little kids). And YES, oh-so-highly-praised Classic Chrome. Because it's so freaking authentically X100S-ish.

I think that X100S is perfectly "current" model because of the same sensor, processor and IQ as on the X100T. The core is the same, the image is the same and you know what? THIS is really important. This is what makes Fuji a Fuji.

BTW, I preordered X-T10 with a couple of lens but I don't plan to sell X100S yet. There is some sort of emotional connection I guess. Y'know, the places we travelled, the people we shoot met :)  I will not call it "love" but X100S surely an extraordinary product and I feel it still has unreleased potential.

Well, maybe upgrading X100S is bad for business. I don't know. And nobody knows for sure. But what I know is that Fuji succeeded in building the entire army of "cult-o'-Fuji" followers. The remarkable achievment only a few global companies capable of. But "loyalty" is not about tech specs, prices and figures. It's all about emotions. Maybe there is no logical explanation to upgrade X100S after release of X100T. But it's just right to do so. To make an already great product even better. To make it classic.

And next there will be an Ektachrome simulation available for the X100T, and you'll be all over the place because the X100S doesn't get it and it's so freaking autentically X100S-ish. Or Portra. Or Tri-X. Whatever. This has simply no end.

You have to accept that at some point there is an end to the support of a product. Your camera is better than at day 1, and not worse than tomorrow. As long as it makes pictures...

Really I think this kaizen thing has perverted Fuji's customers in wanting always more and more and more but when does it stop? Certainly not with a "LAST UPDATE PLEASE FUJI WE PROMISE JUST ONE AND WE'LL BE FINE".

No, you won't. Something will be next.

Go look at what this guy makes : http://www.dirtyharrry.com/1970/06/once.html

And think that it's made with a canon DSLR, shitty pinhole lense and beat-up wide angles primes and almost no PP, and it looks 1000x more like CC than any of the fuji amateur pictures I've ever seen.

It's not the camera.

Who said I don't like Fuji? Way to elude the debate.

I've been there too, wishing things for my X-E1. Wondering weeks long if I shouldn't have bought an X-E2 because I really wanted CC.

Then I took a good breath and went out to make pictures, and wondering about the next one, constantly looking for content, colours and light instead of wondering how the camera could be better.

I modified the raw files of my best ones to make them look like they are from an X-T1 and use the silkypix CC profile on them. That did not change the content, nor anything of importance. It could be nice to give the same look to all of my pictures instead of using pro neg Hi (or Std inside often) but I'd have shitty skin tones. There are much better things to worry about, like how to become a better photographer.

That's a good point!

But I'd like to have the same color profiles in all my Fuji cameras. And maybe larger (less compressed) jpegs - the same as in my future X-T10. It makes sense to have the same image standards in all devices (much easier post-processing, smoother workflow, easy to replace, etc.).

That's a good point!

But I'd like to have the same color profiles in all my Fuji cameras. And maybe larger (less compressed) jpegs - the same as in my future X-T10. It makes sense to have the same image standards in all devices (much easier post-processing, smoother workflow, easy to replace, etc.).

Film simulations are a way to differentiate between models and price bands. The A1/M1 has less simulations, even the new A2. It has Classic Chrome, but no Pro Negs. Same for the XQ2, while the X30 features the full set, as it's targeting the enthusiast segment (and is also more expensive).

The next processor generation will feature new film simulations that can't be replicated in existing cameras. Of course, people won't care about such facts and still demand a firmware upgrade for their older cameras. Just like they demand a firmware upgrade to bring PDAF to the X-Pro1.