I want an upgrade for my X100T.

Focus and concentration, and what was that other thing again?…

Have a second look at the topic. You want to upgrade your X100T into X100S? Just break off a few parts like a PiP HVF element and a wireless module.

That's the issue. Would you get it, next thing the newest camera has and you don't would make you jealous.

It's a never ending story really.

Eh, not really for me. I understand your point though.  I know what my camera will and won't do.  I'm mainly jealous because I know my X100T hardware is absolutely capable of doing the same things that the X-T1 can from a firmware standpoint.  Same processor, same sensor, etc. (aside from the obvious differences based on fixed vs interchangeable lens stuff).

Jealous of new hardware, sure.  But I'm a reasonable guy, and I wouldn't expect Fuji to keep giving me features that I know my camera can't perform/handle.  It's like my iPhone.  Yes they keep updating the OS for free, but at some point, my phone stops performing to its best because the software has surpassed the hardware (despite Apple's claims that its compatible with my hardware).

I'm just asking them to give me all the features that my hardware is capable of.  Whether that's on initial release, or after their developers discover cool new stuff while working on newer models (that share processor and sensor with mine) via firmware updates.  It's a gray area for sure, because those new features obviously weren't built into the original price that I paid.  I guess Fuji has spoiled us so far by historically operating in this way, and when they shift to a more business focused vs user focused continuous development plan, that hurts.  At least until we get over it  :P .

owlcavestudios,

you sound completely reasonable to me. There is no direct Fuji competitor to the X100T or successor announced. It should be getting updates.  On the other hand, why is X100T price dropping drastically without new HW announcement in sight.  Especially with the competition from some other manufacturers dropping out?  Something is going on.

I don't see why Fuji would necessarily hide/prepare something special, maybe they are just looking at the sales numbers, decide that they have made that camera profitable and that not so many people are buying one anymore, and that it's time to drop the price to incite people that have cold feet spending over 1000€ for a fixed lens camera to make the jump, or for some X100/X100S users to upgrade.

Also, I don't think it's the vast majority but quite a lot of people are not buying anything camera related at retail price, they wait for a drop or even for the model to be discontinued. When you already own a camera it's not like you can't make pictures and can't wait 6 months to upgrade at a reasonable cost.

It's a bad decision.

The x100s is my first Fuji camera and probably the last if Fuji refuses to provide firmware updates to "boost" sales of their newer camera.

I bought my x100s knowing that Fuji is the only company providing relevant updates to their camera lineup.

I agree.  When I bought my X100S, which I really like, I assumed that Fuji would continue to support it with occasional updates, so I'm quite annoyed that they have stopped doing that so soon after the camera was the current model

It's quite a let down, even ridiculous! Especially considering the short new release interval. X100s announced in January 2013 - X100t announced in September 2014! I bought my X100s in May 2013, when it finally became available, just to see 1 1/2 year later a successor to a 1150€ purchase was announced! Again, many don't realize, even Fuji themselves, that the camera is only 2 years old! I was hoping that we get at least:

• Chrome film setting
  • A slight improvement of autofocus
  • Exposure compensation in M mode

That's all I'd ask for. I'm more than happy with the X100s and Fuji in general and will keep buying Fuji gear, but the X100s and their owners deserve a small FW update!

It's quite a let down, even ridiculous! Especially considering the short new release interval. X100s announced in January 2013 - X100t announced in September 2014! I bought my X100s in May 2013, when it finally became available, just to see 1 1/2 year later a successor to a 1150€ purchase was announced! Again, many don't realize, even Fuji themselves, that the camera is only 2 years old! I was hoping that we get at least:

• Chrome film setting
  • A slight improvement of autofocus
  • Exposure compensation in M mode

That's all I'd ask for. I'm more than happy with the X100s and Fuji in general and will keep buying Fuji gear, but the X100s and their owners deserve a small FW update!

Like it or not, we are in a time when a two year product life cycle is expected for almost any technology.

The market decides this for itself, saying 'you must have...' for the six months of a product's life, 'you should have...' for the next six, 'you still have?' for the next six months, and then 'why do you have?' after that. By the time you bought the X100s, it was already into that second phase of its life cycle (which is just about where the X100t is now, BTW).

I use an X100s and while I agree that I'd like the improvements you suggest, we don't deserve them. For the record, the original X100 owners did deserve the FW upgrade they got after the camera was discontinued, because it turned the X100 into the camera it should have always been from the outset. We X100s owners didn't have to suffer the same blunted camera system at launch, so there's no pressing need for firmware updates.

Like many imaging products in 2015, Fuji's biggest competitor for the X100t is its own past. Demanding Fuji make the X100s into a quasi-X100t is letting the competitor win, and ultimately we all lose.

My opinion is that they should give one last fw update to bring the x100s to the level it "can" be since it still has the same processor and sensor as the x100t before they abondon the xtrans II. That is the essence of kaizen in my eyes.

The next "x200" will feature all new technology. Which FW will not be compatible with the x100t or x100s.

Remember that a lot jumped on the x100s at the time when Fuji gave the x100 one last fw update, because they were impressed by Fuji's philosophy.

My X100s purchase was partially based on the fact that Fuji had offered updated firmware for the X100 owners in the past. I really thought I was buying into an enlightened stance on marketing that valued the purchaser and was looking to promote a strong brand loyalty. How did that work out

Manual video options, like more FPS (i think that the leaf shutter can be tricky on it), more video modes, and probably, a new focus peaking just like Sony, with colored peaks, wich would be very usefull on some situations. Period.

At the very least, unless hardware/processing inhibits, firmware and feature updates should cover two generations of hardware.   If the X100s can support X100t updates, why the hell not?   Did I not invest in a rock-solid, long-lasting piece of gear at a premium for a reason?  

Would be much more of a motivator for me to stay with the Fuji family, since I upgrade gear every other generation.

Of course, I joined the family with the X100s and am a bit pissy at the moment...

My X100s purchase was partially based on the fact that Fuji had offered updated firmware for the X100 owners in the past. I really thought I was buying into an enlightened stance on marketing that valued the purchaser and was looking to promote a strong brand loyalty. How did that work out ? Their decision not to update the X100S firmware was also contributing factor in my purchasing an Olympus System (but certainly not the only one) when the time came for for me to move from Nikon to a mirrorless system. In my case their strategy definetly backfired and it would have to be a very special product for me to purchase from Fuji again In the future.

At the very least, unless hardware/processing inhibits, firmware and feature updates should cover two generations of hardware.   If the X100s can support X100t updates, why the hell not?   Did I not invest in a rock-solid, long-lasting piece of gear at a premium for a reason?  

Would be much more of a motivator for me to stay with the Fuji family, since I upgrade gear every other generation.

Of course, I joined the family with the X100s and am a bit pissy at the moment...

Hi Guys, 

You might be interested to hear of an open secret, Classic Chrome and possibly some of the other upgrades in the 100T are there to be issued if Fuji were honest enough to do so.  They produced a firmware upgrade (I believe before release of the 100T), which was given to the photographer Zack Arias at Dedpixel.  I have no idea why they have not made it available to the buyers who keep them in business, perhaps they have a suicide in business idea, either way they are losing customers due to this decision.

Moreover you are on the wrong track.

Fuji does not make cameras for people who constantly change their mind, toy around and think having CC or ibis will suddenly make them a better photographer.

People who don't do photography, for photography itself will always have something to complain about so they have a "reason" to change gear / brand (repeat in 1 year at most).

There is nothing Fuji can do about that and that is not the crowd they targeted with the X100S. If you bought one you should know better : it's not limiting in any way to have a very decent AF and no CC.

Show me a pic where it was limiting your skills.

I paid premium money for premium support. x100s it's not a plastic toy.

X100 had a premium firmware support.

X100s firmware support stinks. FujiFilm made us, all users of x100s fools. This "kaizen" bla, bla, bla...

I DEMAND better autofocus speed. x100t is almost if not same 'optical-AF' hardware as x100s.

I can pay for extra options in firmware:

- intervalometer,

but demand best BASIC photo experience from FujiFilm that x100s hardware can achieve.

(sorry for my english)

Why are you here posting if you're so disgruntled, just go to canikon and enjoy an uninterrupted flow of firmware goodies for 10 years long?

Just to tell you don't assume what a fellow photographer uses, I have never used a Canon (opted for an OM10 over the AE1 when I purchased my first serious camera), when I went digital it was still with Olympus (a 3020), then purchased a Nikon DSLR, sorry but cannot remember which model, it still has a nasty taste in my mouth, Nikon support and service is shite.  I went back to Olympus, which I still use without issue, got into Fuji after purchasing a used X-F1 to carry about with me at work, was suitably impressed with the results from that little thing, enough so to encourage me to purchase the X-E1 with a few lenses, is it an improvement over my Oly's, not really it is different.  When I need to get into the RAWs I am able to produce better images from the Olympus than the Fuji, Fuji Lenses are no better than the Oly's.

Fuji does not make cameras for people who constantly change their mind, toy around and think having CC or ibis will suddenly make them a better photographer.

Your statement supports my argument 100%.   After careful consideration, I bought and have kept the X100S because I *don't* constantly change my mind.   Because of that, I spent a premium on a great camera and I'm just a wee bummed out that some cool features that the camera could support are not being released.  This will definitely come into consideration when assessing my next purchase in a few years.

Your statement supports my argument 100%.   After careful consideration, I bought and have kept the X100S because I *don't* constantly change my mind.   Because of that, I spent a premium on a great camera and I'm just a wee bummed out that some cool features that the camera could support are not being released.  This will definitely come into consideration when assessing my next purchase in a few years.

You sound like a sensible person. For your next purchase, I then suggest to not buy the thing immediatly (and pay a premium for that) after it comes out expecting 2 years of continuous improvement, but rather to wait a bit and buy it as pretty much a "finished product" (in other words : you get what you buy, and don't expect anything other than possible bug fixes / news lenses addition).

So that would be after a few bugs are corrected for all companies except for Fuji, you'll have to wait more than a year because they keep adding stuff for free.

Then you won't feel so sorry because another newer camera gets a new colour profile you probably won't use more than ten times, but you don't have it so it's really frustrating, others have it, and you don't, WHY??? Life is so unfair.

255556.jpg

Disclaimer : I'm not mocking people who want CC because they would actually use it most of the time. I'm getting bored with people who want things they don't need / use and use it as an excuse for talks like "BETTER GIVE IT FUJI OR ELSE...".

If you need an excuse to switch brand and spend your money because you feel bored with your photography and think that new gear will give you a boost again, it's fine. Rinse and repeat in 6 months.

If you need an excuse so you can stop going out and make photographs because you can't make great photos without CC, so you are stuck waiting for the next FW and therefore for inspiration to suddenly strike it's fine. Rinse and repeat in 6 months when the next colour profile is out.

But don't blame it on Fuji, please.

Either you really NEED it and you act like a pro, buy an X100T and don't complain.

Or you don't really need it and carefully consider if it's really worth it. But you already know the answer to that deep inside.

Of course they are. It's smart. They are now selling the X100T. The S is EOL. 

The real question is: Will the X100T receive the new AF system? As of now, it doesn't look like it, and that's unfortunate, because the hardware would perfectly support it. Instead, they plan on updating the X-E2 in a few months.

Of course they are. It's smart. They are now selling the X100T. The S is EOL. 

The real question is: Will the X100T receive the new AF system? As of now, it doesn't look like it, and that's unfortunate, because the hardware would perfectly support it. Instead, they plan on updating the X-E2 in a few months.

......and i thought all the people who are asking for firmware update are cry babies, anyway....

......and i thought all the people who are asking for firmware update are cry babies, anyway....

Depends. Current models are supposed to receive updates (after all, it makes sense to improve models that are currently sold and competing in the marketplace). The X100T is quite current, and will be till at least 2016. So is the X30, btw, which could also benefit from the improved AF. X100S and X20? Not current, hence no more feature updates.

So there are reasonable and unreasonable expectations. I prefer the former, so I am concentrating on improving the X30, X100T and X-E2 as long as they stay current and haven't been replaced with a successor.