Why the Camera World Hasn't Embraced "This" Idea is Astonishing to Me!

Nick McCamy

The "this" is simple computer programs that could be easily created by a photographer and run on a camera.

I have a perfect real world scenario.
I want to be able to shoot a landscape scene with focus bracketing AND exposure bracketing at the same time.  This would assure that everything in the scene was tack sharp, and all information in the scene was recorded for optimal dynamic range.

How I Do It Now:
1. Set the exposure compensation manually to +3, and press the shutter release to capture the focus bracketed shot.
2. Set the exposure compensation manually to +0, and press the shutter release to capture the focus bracketed shot.
3. Set the exposure compensation manually to -3, and press the shutter release to capture the focus bracketed shot.

How It Could Be Done Via Simple Computer Program:
The following commands could be typed into a simple text editor, copied to the memory card, and run once by the camera:

Bracket Mode: Focus Bracketing
Exposure Compensation: +3
Press the Shutter Release
Exposure Compensation: +0
Exposure Compensation: -3
Done

Can you imagine the power this could give photographers?
Why hasn't anything like this been done?????????

• 1 month later...

From a practical point of view it would be difficult to make it fool proof (fools are too smart). Once you give a user a programming capability you are asking for trouble; when they get it wrong you end up having to fix it, or worse when they destroy the hardware, they get to claim under guarantee for a new camera. From a commercial point of view you might be giving away future enhancements that you need to be able to make money out of (to stay in business you need to make money). It would also require a total rewrite of the firmware code base, although this is going to be a good thing to do every so often in any case.

Someone has made available a code hack for Canon, I can't remember what it is called, it might do this sort of thing, Google about to find it; so maybe it is a totally doable thing...