Kaizen Again? Fuji X-T1 will get another Firmware update this year! (AS) - Which New Features would you like to get?

Patrick FR

well, since the firmware update 4.0, the one that was announced long before it became available and the one which made people salivate for days and days before it finally arrived turned out to be a little less spectacular than we were given the impression that it was going to be....

now where did we get that impression???  hilarious!! great post.

+1 To programmable Video Button

I asked ages ago on another forum for this to be added to X-T1. it was so much nicer on X-E2 as I could add it to a function button and go into Video mode before actually recording so I could frame in 16/9

I think it would be great to have an options menu for that button in the settings menu with the following options.

1) Works as it does now with delay

2) You press video button and it switch camera into video mode, pressing shutter then starts recording (half press focus's if in S mode)

3)Same as above but second press on video button starts recording. If people want to keep shutter button inviolate.

Personally for me number 2 would be perfect and improve the interface with the camera for me no end, I hate the video button not jsut the 2 second delay but the fact that I have to change my entire grip and stance to activate and stop it, meaning every video has the first and last 5 seconds shaky and often pointing at my feet. Shutter button please.

G

- Wireless TTL

- Enhanced bracketing, two stops would be sufficient for me most of the time, but should be configurable

- Auto-ISO dependant on focal length and OIS(!)

- scene detect full automatic mode from X-T10 - not for me, but for giving the camera to a friend to take photos

Its mnot jsut about making it a function button (althought that would be cool)

Its about adding it as a drive option that can be chosen by any function button itself included or by say the Wifi function button if you so chose.

However given that the X-T1 has these option on the drive clicker under the ISO I don't think we are going to get it, I think they took a different view with this on the X-T1 which they have subsequently back pedalled on with X-T10 as video is back on the drive dial.

The only way they could do it woul be to have a frig simlar to assigning direct AF movement to the D-Pad and that would be to have an option whereby one of hte lesser used drive options (like filter, please god take that away :)) could be replaced with video.

That would also work for me, as then the video button could be set to Wifi as the fact that its hard to reach and use would be great for that, and I could assign the Wifi button to something useful.

G

I do love my X-T1, and recommend it without reservation for most applications. Having said that there's always ways to improve.  I have a rather lengthy dream list.

Presets

- Saved Presets Functionality: The presets are very accessible via the Q button to but only saves photo settings and not camera settings. For RAW shooters, there's almost no reason to use the presets. If it saved all settings it would be a huge plus.  So for example, then I could have a preset for Zone: set Mechanical Shutter only, Disable Face detection, and set Zone focus.  A preset for Friend: disable most buttons, Eye Detection enabled, Spot focus.

- Name the Saved Presets: If the presets were more useful, then it becomes important to be able to name them.  

- In the Q menu, the current Saved Preset that is in use should be displayed. Once set (to "C1" for example), the Q menu will still display "Basic".

Focusing

- AF Center Focus Mode: It would be good if there was another AF mode--central AF.  Think spot but you can't move the focus location. It was on my Sony A700 and my prefered setting when I handed it to friends.

- Focus Point Selection.  I have the functions buttons configured so that the four way arrows move the focus point.   One further improvement though would help.  Moving back to the center requires selecting the "Back" button which isn't really in the right spot.  It would be better if it was the "Menu/OK" button.  Then your thumb never moves from that area and it's very intuitive.  But how to support this and the Menu/OK?  My thoughts are that many of the buttons currently have different functions assigned to both short and long presses.  How about a short press of Menu centers the AF Location, while a long press brings up the menu?

- The various focusing modes have many restrictions.  Ideally they could be removed.  Alternatively, the current setting would disable the incompatible previously set setting.  (e.g. setting zone focus would disable face detection and such). Finally, if nothing else,  it would be helpful to have a warning displayed that XYZ isn't available due to ABC.  

- Face Detection only works with CDAF.  It should support PDAF sensors. Right now, FD is too slow and unreliable so I don't use it. Hopefully this will help.

Adapted Lenses and Manual Focusing

- During manual AF it would be nice to not display the AF focus points during manual AF.  They are a bit distracting and don’t do anything.

- Better, It would be amazing if Fuji enabled PDAF focus points during manual focusing. PDAF is much more sensitive than CDAF and good to EV 0.5.  I imagine that focus points would glow increasing shades of green as they became more in focus.  Perhaps add a cross when perfect.  This would allow very fast focus in even the dimmest light.  I can it useful for even AF lenses as it could be faster than moving around the focus point.

-  Peaking is for some reason much much more effective when the display is set to Full vs Normal, and it completely disabled in split screen.  

- Manual Lens Selection only has two customized settings.  It should be possible to change all of them.  

- With V4.0, in manual mode and auto ISO the exposure compensation works as expected.  Except with adapted lenses.  In which case the exposure compensation dial has no impact.

- It would be nice if when the camera didn’t sense a lens, if it automatically moved to MF mode settings.

Other

- Q Menu Options: has improved now that it can be customized and that the available functions has increased.  I would appreciate more functions.  e.g. , Manual Lens Selection, Lock Function, Interval, or most functions available in the menus.   

- It's very nice that Fuji let us set the min shutter speed for Auto ISO.  It would be great if there was a way to set it as a function of the lens focal length.  e.g. focal length * 1.5

- Fuji has improved the EVF modes in firmware and it's so much better.  But it's still a little off with EVF Eye Detection.  When reviewing photos the image, the images are displayed on the back panel or the EVF depending upon eye detection - perfect.  But when pressing the Q Button or Menu Button the only way to see anything is to use the EVF.  These functions should should enable eye detection and display in the EVF or back appropriately.

- Histogram: the live histogram disappears when the shutter is half way depressed, right when I'm most interested.

- Histogram: be nice if the histogram could display separate channels for RGB

- It’s nice that overexposed areas blink after taking the photo.  It would be nice if over/under exposed areas could blink during live view.

- Sounds: I'd appreciate more granularity on setting the sounds.  I'd like to enable / disable the sound for focus selection (on); mechanical shutter (off); electronic shutter (on); menu navigation (off).    

- Locking: The option to lock selected functions seemed interesting, except that there doesn’t seem to be a way to lock focus selection when it’s bound to F3 through F6.  When lock is bound to a function button (e.g. F1) it’s possible to go into lock mode with F1, but to get out of lock mode requires menu diving.  It would be nice if it was possible to bind unlock to a function button, or make the enable/disable available in the Q menu.   

- the iPad Remote app is rather limited.  No histogram.  No focus peaking.  No Zoom in to see details.  Can't import RAW images.  It’s odd that it disconnects between each function.  e.g. switching from photo taking to import photos.  Connecting is rather slow.

----------------

If I'm dreaming about the road map in general, the items that I'd like to see in a new body (with the top four enough to make me buy)

- Image Stabilization: I've long since grown to love in-body stabilization and this is the first camera that I've had since 2004 that didn't have in-body stabilization. I miss it sorely.

- Add more CDAF sensors and spread them across the entire sensor.

- A shutter of 1/8000 sec

- Keep working on Continuous AF to beat the top DSLRs

- Face Detection / Eye Detection is a nice idea but I find it too slow and unreliable and stick with spot AF.

- Battery life is a common complain and I have to agree. It runs out very quickly. An hour or two of use and a new battery is needed.  Maybe bigger batteries in the future.

- I guess a new sensor is in order to improve noise even more (it’s already pretty excellent) and a few more MP.  

- The flash support is lacking overall with the fuji line. There's only one under powered flash that can support remote wireless off camera. There is no support for RF based wireless. There is no support for high speed flash.

- the leica M adapter is rather expensive for what ultimately amounts to a dedicated function button to select the lens type.  Instead, let us pick the lens type via the Q menu and custom FN button, and release a new adapter that can read the codes on the lenses.  That would be brilliant.

And for the lens lineup

- I want some long lenses.  Think 600/F4 for an effective 900/F4.  It’s important that the bodies have improved AF, tons of CDAF, and ideally IBIS. I was an avid bird photographer and hope to resume in a few years, and for this specialty the lens can never be too long. I'd love an 800/5.6 effective 1200/5.6.

- Fuji has done a great job with the lens lineup in general but where to go from here?   It would be nice to have three distinct lens lineups.  

- First the XF, high-quality, fast, aperture on the lens (e.g. 56/1.2, 35/1.2, 23/1.4, 16/1.4, 50-140/2.8).  

- Second, high-quality, not so fast, compact,  aperture on the lens (e.g. 35/2, 56/2, 23/2.8, 50-140/4.0, 100-400/4.0-5.6).  

- Third, cheaper which is the XC line-up.

- To temp the Canon and Nikon crowd, and to fill in a bit of the lens lineup, it would be amazing if adapters were made that supported aperture control and speedy AF.  

+1 To programmable Video Button

2) You press video button and it switch camera into video mode, pressing shutter then starts recording (half press focus's if in S mode)

+1000 The way it works now is terrible and I bet you're not the only one with lots of videos starting with your feet/the sky because the system is so wrong. Every cheap digital camera I've used (including an ancient Fuji I loved) had a 'video mode' rather than a 'video record button' and I NEVER questioned the logic. It's so much better to use the shutter button in a video mode than to have one button that does both things. 

IMHO they should keep "Start video recording" as a function button option, but seperately have a "enter video mode" one which is what goes on the video button by default. Ideally they should put video on the drive dial where it damn well belongs (nothing on that dial is ever honored when you are shooting video, proving that video should be on the dial), but obviously for the existing cameras a "video mode" button is the only option.

However given that the X-T1 has these option on the drive clicker under the ISO I don't think we are going to get it, I think they took a different view with this on the X-T1 which they have subsequently back pedalled on with X-T10 as video is back on the drive dial.

Unfortunately this isn't right. The X-T10 doesn't have video on the drive dial either, which is a bummer for all Fuji users since it means they still haven't figured this out!

Edit: You ARE right that they switched gears on this issue with the X-T1 though. I just checked my X-E1 and was reminded that it did have a "video mode" rather than "start recording video" button, it's just that it was horribly positioned inside the "Drive" menu which I hated. What you were wrong about is that they backpedaled with the X-T10, tragically they instead renewed their vows with the "start recording video" button metaphor even though the large drive dial on the X-T10 would have been a perfect place to re-implement "video mode".

I like your idea about repurposing drive options that people never use for video mode! Everyone probably has one drive mode they don't care about. 

Edited by jeremyclarke

Jeremy

Thanks for update I just assumed that the drive dial on eh X-T10 woudl have video as I think that camera apart from shape owes more to the X-E2 than the X-T1, but thanks for letting me know that has just disapated the last of my buyers remorse over having chosen the X-T1 over the X-T10 :)

Yeah I would happily trade either the ADV Filters or the Overlay (wtf) for video on the tab under the iso wheel

1) Most important feature for me: When auto-ISO is enabled, ISO value must be shown continuosly, not oly when the shutter button is half pressed.

Instead of getting stuck with "3200AUTO" (if max iso is set in 3200), the camera should show: "METERED_ISOA3200".

"METERED_ISO" will change all the time, depending on the metering the camera is doing and the compensation the user is applying. the fixed label "A3200" is telling that we are in auto mode with maximum ISO of 3200.

2) better exp bracketing

3) shutter at least 120" without remote

4) the ability of quickly creating a new folder for storing images

5) fast Wifi connection with QR code

6) in camera copyright

of course you realize that it would be a nightmare to realize since there is an hyperfocal distance varying at each aperture setting and different for each focal length... but yes, this is one for the “ dream on” forum section 

When you look at the distance scale in the viewfinder you can see that the camera knows exactly what DOF it has for each aperture and focal length. I think ti would be easy to pick a hyper-focal distance. The necessary  data is already there.

of course you realize that it would be a nightmare to realize since there is an hyperfocal distance varying at each aperture setting and different for each focal length... but yes, this is one for the “ dream on” forum section 

I'm pretty sure it's just a formula. All they have to do is plug in the new numbers if the focal length or aperture changes. I don't think it would be that much of a nightmare. It seems like an interesting idea to me and a feature that I would probably use if it were there.