Kaizen Again? Fuji X-T1 will get another Firmware update this year! (AS) - Which New Features would you like to get?

Patrick FR

a lot of good ideas here! Got my X-T1 for just couple weeks, and here is what I'd add (correct me if those are already adjustable and I missed something):

1) Improve Auto ISO - add an option to set minimum shutter speed based on focal length (like Nikon does it), but also allow "static" minimum at the same time like it is now. Example - put a 230mm lens and minimum shutter speed based on focal length would be 1/230s, but also allow for setting it so that minimum shutter speed doesn't go below, let's say, 1/125s when you put a wide angle on. (10mm would make it 1/10s which is way too long for capturing people)

2) "RAW" button to toggle image quality permanently (or until camera is switched off) and not just for one shot like it is now.

3) more exposure bracketing options as others were saying

4) % battery indicator

5) live exposure in bulb mode (like oly does it)

6) longer exposure modes - up to at least 120sec, or proper bulb mode via camera remote app

7) copyrights embedding in pics

8) ability to move the zoomed-in area in "focus assist" mode, and also ability to cancel the zoom-in with half button press of shutter

and for X-T2:

1) HSS flash, remote flash trigger built in body (that works like phottix odin and similar), could be a killer feature for fuji branded flashes to have all this built in, without pesky addons

2) timed release on one of the dials

3) better video, without moire and aliasing, s-log, doesn't have to be 4K

I think Fuji has the capacity to do all of these, years before any other camera manufacturer does. This would make already great Fuji cameras godlike!

• 1 month later...

I would love to see the ability to control aperture for ALL lenses with the back command dial. Since FW4 I find myself shooting on the T setting a lot, and using the front command dial to control shutter speed. The aperture ring can get changed too easily by accident, IMHO. This should be pretty easy to do with a firmware update since the option already exists, but is only enabled for lenses without an aperture ring. This would give more flexibility to the system, giving users the option to shoot in a consistent fashion regardless of which lens is used.

A different idea, how about a Hyperfocal distance function that sets the lens to the Hyperfocal distance for the aperture selected at a touch of a button.

Now this would indeed be cool and useful for landscape photographers!! Hyperfocal Distance Function!

Also, true back button focusing needed and ability to do In Camera Copyright info.

After having returned from a 10-day stock shooting trip and using the X-T1 plus a bevy of lenses I can honestly say I don't need any further upgrades.  I'm perfectly content with what I have.  Now, if Fuji would hurry up and put out a 24 megapixel, X-T1 equivalent I would love that.  

I'm very, very pleased with my equipment.

1) Improved bracketing to allow +/- 2 stops with three frames and up to 7 frame brackets.

2) Still more flexibility to programme the buttons - basically and function to any button

3) open up the USB port to allow an external bluetooth transponder to provide GPS coordinates - like these guys over at foolograpy do for Nikon.

After having returned from a 10-day stock shooting trip and using the X-T1 plus a bevy of lenses I can honestly say I don't need any further upgrades.  I'm perfectly content with what I have.  Now, if Fuji would hurry up and put out a 24 megapixel, X-T1 equivalent I would love that.  

I'm very, very pleased with my equipment.

I totally agree.

That where I am after shooting more than 15k images with my Fuji kit, 12+k with the X-T1. I even no longer seem to have an issue with the metering or drive dials moving inadvertently. Just improve the doors: the accessory door is bowed and the card door is shedding its sealing strip - it will go back for service when I get my X-T2 next year.

I would like to see an exposure meter when I am in Aperture Priority or Shutter Priority this would be better than the shutter speed or aperture going red if they can do it in manual then why not in the priority modes?

or could just preview the image in the priority modes like manual

• 3 weeks later...

What I would like-

The ability to turn the refresh rate of the EVF/back screen down temporarily to decrease noise.

Would be great for astrophotography, as it is currently difficult to focus on stars due to all the noise.

Good one. With my Pentax K-3 it was really easy to focus on a star with live view. With the X-T1 it's really hard due to noise. I would like the ability to zoom in more in live view and be able to move the viewpoint around. 

Good one. With my Pentax K-3 it was really easy to focus on a star with live view. With the X-T1 it's really hard due to noise. I would like the ability to zoom in more in live view and be able to move the viewpoint around. 

Yip. I love the EVF and the constant live-view, but definitely feel it has more potential waiting to be unlocked.

Good one. With my Pentax K-3 it was really easy to focus on a star with live view. With the X-T1 it's really hard due to noise. I would like the ability to zoom in more in live view and be able to move the viewpoint around.

Don't know I you are aware of this:

You can zoom in up to two levels with the focus assist. In focus assist mode, turn the back dial for another zoom level! Despite the fact that you can not move the viewpoint live when in focus assist mode, you can choose where to zoom on forehand by setting the focus point on a particular spot.

Don't know I you are aware of this:

You can zoom in up to two levels with the focus assist. In focus assist mode, turn the back dial for another zoom level! Despite the fact that you can not move the viewpoint live when in focus assist mode, you can choose where to zoom on forehand by setting the focus point on a particular spot.

That's what I usually do. But with the Pentax it definitely was much easier. I added this because Fuji could do this with just a software change. No new hardware needed.

Better battery indicator (but that is a wish since the first X style camera).

Help/info for each function. Todays digital cameras are getting so complex that some help to that ultra short description in the menus would really help.

Allow me to assign ANYTHING into the Q menu, not just selected things.

Let me set the Time for more than 30 seconds. Even if it would be just 5 minutes, that would be really great.

Set AF-L, AF-L independent (on/off, button pressed).

More color selection for MF highlight. Red/Blue/White appears too often in natural things. I want to set that to shocking pink or lime green or some eye-sore yellow too. Or in the dream, have auto color. eg if red is on red, make that red blue.

Hold FN button for image style preview. instead of on off, when it is on a FN button. That on/off is really not very helpful. Often I want to preview it, not turn it on/off.

One more thing I would really love to see: A much better Auto ISO menu. Where I can define when the ISO increases based on f-stop and shutter speed. So I can say stay in the f-stop range down to eg f4 and shutter speed 1/60 and only increase ISO if both fall lower. Right now it is really annoying when you could shoot f4 at ISO800 but it does f2 at eg ISO400 ...

May be a we can get a 'Do what I mean' function :)

Sorry, no offence meant.

Actually, in cases like this I would adjust the ISO setting manually. This is why I like the ISO dial on the T1, even if I prefer the handling of my E1 in general. I would be afraid that the set up for something what you have requested would become too complicated and too specific for one situation. In fact, this is why I never made use of creative modes on other cameras that I own.