1st Wedding with X-T1

mart46

So, having posted back in June the 1st engagement shoot with the X-T1, I shot the wedding yesterday. I have to say I had more keepers than ever before with the canons, and I was surprised to find that I used the 35mm f1.4 for around 75% of the shots. I used the "kit" lens for the groups and the rest with the 56mm f1.2. I'm really pleased with the results...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd also share my first wedding shots taken with my XT-1. I am a former Nikon shooter (D90/D700) and recently switched to Fuji.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23012510@N04/sets/72157656791540970/

(Your feedback is appreciated as I am looking at making this a sustainable business)

I'll start with the lenses. The 23mm is the one that stayed on the camera the most (about 75% of the shots) and did a fine job. I also used the 60mm for some macro shots and a few portraits, and the 14mm for some tight-indoors situations and some group shots. All of the lenses had sufficiently good AF speed (including the 60mm). 

Compared to my experience with the D700, I found that the XT-1 lagged behind in

- responsiveness (shot-to-shot delay, e.g. after a burst of shots, resulting in a few missed shots)

- AF accuracy (I had fewer keepers, although this may be partly due to me still having to familiarize with the system). I did not find AF speed to be an issue

- battery life (big time. Even with the grip and the extra battery, I missed not having to worry about battery life! I have enough things to pay attention to!)

- Oh I also miss the full frame, but that was not a surprise :-)

On the upper side, I found reduced size/weight to be the feature which made the switchover worth it. The camera is less intimidating for the people, less tiring to use, etc. When I pick up a DSLR now I feel like I'm holding a brick. The vertical grip made it much easier to hold the XT-1 even in landscape mode (not to mention in portrait mode). I have long fingers. This may be less of a problem for folks with smaller hands out there.

The EVF and the tilting back screen are awesome, too.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd also mention I had MUCH better results in post processing with Iridient developer than with LR (especially when it comes to B&W conversion). Really. Much better.

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy! Sorry about that. Here's one that hopefully works

https://www.flickr.com/photos/23012510@N04/sets/72157656791540970/

feedback is welcome

OK found out the link URL was correct but the permission on the photos was "private" - sorry about that. The link should work now. Thanks and sorry about the clumsiness! Hopefully I'm better at taking photos than at sharing them  :)

OK found out the link URL was correct but the permission on the photos was "private" - sorry about that. The link should work now. Thanks and sorry about the clumsiness! Hopefully I'm better at taking photos than at sharing them  :)

Some great pics there. love them

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not having too much trouble in the dark... A few from last Saturdays wedding

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Compared to my experience with the D700, I found that the XT-1 lagged behind in

- responsiveness (shot-to-shot delay, e.g. after a burst of shots, resulting in a few missed shots)

- AF accuracy (I had fewer keepers, although this may be partly due to me still having to familiarize with the system). I did not find AF speed to be an issue

- battery life (big time. Even with the grip and the extra battery, I missed not having to worry about battery life! I have enough things to pay attention to!)

- Oh I also miss the full frame, but that was not a surprise :-)

On the upper side, I found reduced size/weight to be the feature which made the switchover worth it. The camera is less intimidating for the people, less tiring to use, etc. When I pick up a DSLR now I feel like I'm holding a brick. The vertical grip made it much easier to hold the XT-1 even in landscape mode (not to mention in portrait mode). I have long fingers. This may be less of a problem for folks with smaller hands out there.

I definitely agree about the responsiveness. Little things like hitting the playback button to check a shot seems a bit slower on my X-T1. Interestingly, though, I found the AF accuracy to be phenomenal compared to my Canons, and noticed a bit of an issue with the speed (the last wedding I shot with a DSLR was with a D750, and I noticed the 85 1.4G to be similarly slow in lower light, though). 

Personally, I find the X-T1 a bit light. For taking out and about with my wife or friends I don't mind it, but I'd still prefer it to be a bit heavier. If I could have my way, I'd like the X-T1 body only to weigh as much as the body + grip do now, and it would be nice if the grip was a bit heavier than it is now. I love the small size (easier to take around every day, less intimidating, etc) but I find it a bit awkwardly light, and find I can hold it steadier with a bit of extra weight.

Here are some from the last wedding I shot. It was almost entirely the 23mm + 35mm. I used the 35mm more than I thought I would. Looking to get the 56 ASAP.

20685285278_39897f4953_k.jpgDSCF0064 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

20685198510_a087de9800_k.jpgDSCF0345 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

20685281818_699b4e28f3_k.jpgDSCF0184-3 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

20685279668_84c04f92af_k.jpgDSCF0217 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

20880476121_c344647cc2_k.jpgDSCF0227 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

20686512479_4f30f27a55_k.jpgDSCF0459 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr