Velvet 56 vs 56mm 1.2 (vs 35mm 1.4)

jamesbernard

Hey friends, this comparison is very rushed and won't be of much use to many of you, but since both of these lenses are hard to find in stores for most people, here is a little comparison to help you avoid wasting $500 to $1000 on either of these.

This is the Fujinon XF 56mm f/1.2 compared to the Lensbaby Velvet 56mm f/1.6 with an honorable mention of the Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4

Side by Side:

20028378610_0c153f0901_z.jpg

20190136826_fefa99bc60_z.jpg

They honestly are about the same size and weight, which is surprising since the fuji is faster and has autofocus.

Heres a few more random shots with the Velvet 56mm

F/1.6

20028437470_d0b70abe35_z.jpg

F/2

20222185001_5e1e2ed96b_z.jpg

F/4

20216461075_5974351e7c_z.jpg

All of these are SOOC from a boring day at work.

Not a big surprise but the Lensbaby 56mm is definitely a specialty lens, and I think there will probably be very very few people who will put it to good use. $500 for such an atypical piece of glass is a lot for something that will probably be collecting dust most of the time unless you LOVE soft focus and macro work, which is definitely not many of us.

The 56mm f/1.2 is great, but I like the OOF areas better with the 35 than either of the other lenses honestly. Anyone else want to share some photos or opinions feel free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

On the strength of some gorgeous images I've seen shot with this lens, I'm getting one.

Check out these real world images shot by dpreview.com and see what you think. Also most of these images, taken by Kathleen Clemons, were shot with a Velvet 56 and I think they are stunning.

I am lucky enough to have the XF 56mm and several other XF lenses and I love them all, but there are possibilities with this lens that simply cannot be realized with any other lens that I've heard of. 

I'll have my copy in a few days, and I'm really excited about it. It takes practice to get good with any new lens, and I believe the learning curve with the Velvet 56 is a steep one. Perhaps when I've spent enough time, and taken enough pictures to have a decent understanding of what one can do with it, I'll post a few of my own. 

• 3 years later...
On 9/23/2015 at 8:38 PM, Splodger said:

On the strength of some gorgeous images I've seen shot with this lens, I'm getting one.

Check out these real world images shot by dpreview.com and see what you think. Also most of these images, taken by Kathleen Clemons, were shot with a Velvet 56 and I think they are stunning.

I am lucky enough to have the XF 56mm and several other XF lenses and I love them all, but there are possibilities with this lens that simply cannot be realized with any other lens that I've heard of. 

I'll have my copy in a few days, and I'm really excited about it. It takes practice to get good with any new lens, and I believe the learning curve with the Velvet 56 is a steep one. Perhaps when I've spent enough time, and taken enough pictures to have a decent understanding of what one can do with it, I'll post a few of my own. 

I just found this old thread and am curious how your journey with the Velvet 56 went. 

So far, i'm not sure I've seen anything that can't be pretty much replicated in Photoshop.