Analog rangefinder camera recommendations

erikk

Hi!

I'm a big fan of fuji and use X-E2 myself. I also like to shoot on film from time to time to keep my mind thinking more before I take a shot. I'm looking for advice what vintage cheap rangefinder camera to get.

What I think I need:

- rangefinder body,

- 35 to 40 mm focal length f/2,

- full manual (or AV priority with the ability to compensate EV one way or another),

- no batteries (or batteries that are easily obtainable today),

- some light meter (selenium ?),

- cheap.

What rangefinder cameras I've used in the past:

- contax G2 with a bag of lenses (my friend's) - hands down the best camera I have ever had in my hands. But - it costs a lot and is fully automatic.

- fed-2 (russian) with 58/2.8 lens - has no light meter, no batteries and the focal lenght is to long. Can be bought under 10 euros in Poland on the other hand.

FED-5 with MIR-1B 37mm/2.8 lens would be OK, but the viewfinder in the FED does not zoom in and out like the one in the contax g2 and would still show something equivalent to 58 mm.

Cameras like Nikon 35Ti or Yashica electro 35 cost ridiculous amounts of money and this would be to much for me for something that I would use for 3-4 rolls of film a year.

What would you recommend to search for?

http://www.japancamerahunter.com/2011/10/rangefinder-cameras-what-are-your-options/

This guy also says he can find you a camera at a great price.  The article is definitely worth a read, I've read it a few times; but it might also be worth it to reach out to this guy and see what he suggests for you.  It helps that you can give him a price range and he'll know exactly what will fit your needs.  I can't tell you how many times I've come with in a hair of asking this guy to find me a camera.

Good luck and keep us posted.  Especially if you decide to give this guy a run...

Hey, thanks for the tip.

I'm in the sub-30euro range :) I won't spend more on something I'm intending to use for 3-4 rolls a year.

I've found what you can get the Canon QL17, various Yashica variants of the Electro and some Olympus cameras within that range in Poland. I'll look into the Minoltas as well. I'll keep you posted.

Have you looked at the Epson R-D1s ?

It's digital, but it's like using a film camera.  There are only 4 ISO settings:  200 400 800 and 1600 and with its CCD sensor it produces images that exactly match those ISO settings on film.

The R-D1 has a cult following, and even though it is now 10 years old, pre-dating even the Leica M8 by 2 years, its 6.1MP still produces wonderful images that can be printed up to A2 without loss of definition.

I still take mine out and use it from time to time, and it is one of the most enjoyable cameras I've ever used.

For 30 bucks only, best bet will be a local flee market I think. As from 100 bucks you can find decent ones already, but 30 is quite low.

I still use a Hasselblad 503CW from time to time and I just picked up a Hasselblad Xpan. Both of these I bought for a fraction of the price you'd pay at a dealer. But then again, I only got lucky after years and years of finding only crap :) And the Hasselblad back still needs servicing, which isn't cheap...

Paul: I've read about R-D1. It seems very tempting to try one. But spending 1300 euro on the body itself is totally out of my league. I shoot my kids, our little adventures, daily life and have very little time (none to be precise) for more. I'd be happy to rent it (and pay for it) but owning one for such amout of cash seems like a bad idea for me.

Fuji GW690 that can be had for 500 euro in Poland is more tempting. If I would have access to a lab where I could make my own prints.

Thanks for the opinion anyway :)

Hasselblad 503CW and it's russian copies (Kiev 88) are popular here and usually cost more than 300 euros.

I've already found a shop in my town that deals with old cameras and has a selection of rangefinders that fit my needs within 50-100 euros. I'll need to check that out. Being able to buy something with some form of guarantee that it will work is worth the hustle and spending a bit more.

The XPan - WOW, the pics here http://www.fototheque.com/xpan/ are crazy! I did not know such camera existed :) Thanks :)

Erikk, the GW690 would be fantastic.
At an even better price you could get an Olympus 35RC or the Canon, Nikon or Ricoh equivalent.  They were all great cameras, and you'd be looking at under €150 in mint condition.  You could then spend the rest of your budget on a dark bag, developing tank and a few chemicals to develop the film yourself, and a decent film scanner.
The GW690 is a beauty, but it's heavy and bulky, and you may end up choosing not to take it out with you for that reason.  One of the smaller, lighter ones, such as the 35RC would be much more tempting to carry around.

Trenton: I actually do consider aligning split image in RF viewfinder to be major part of the fun :) I already have X-E2 and had the ability to test all current (as of half year ago) fujis including the sensational x100t. As I wrote above, I need a camera that I will use only to shoot analog BW (Ilford 50 is my favourite) 3-4 times a year, dirty cheap :)

Trenton: I actually do consider aligning split image in RF viewfinder to be major part of the fun :) I already have X-E2 and had the ability to test all current (as of half year ago) fujis including the sensational x100t. As I wrote above, I need a camera that I will use only to shoot analog BW (Ilford 50 is my favourite) 3-4 times a year, dirty cheap :)

If this is the case, I suggest skipping the 135 format altogether and going with Voigtländer Bessa II or a similar MF RF folder.

If Bessa is too expensive, get a Soviet era Moskva-2, 4 or 5.

I was going to suggest the Canonet QL17, but thought it might be simpler then what you wanted.  I'm still looking myself.  Would love to stumble across a great deal on a G2, but I'm not sure when I will.  I'm always looking though.

Good luck in your hunt.  That is sometimes the most fun in my opinion is hunting for old cameras that are gems and the shop owner doesn't know it.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Voigtlander bessa L - looks nice, but is not obtainable in Poland at the moment. We have plenty of M39 lenses flowing around for dirty low prices.

QL17 - It seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. It is aperture priority only, but you can compensate the light by turning the film ISO reel. It would be nice to be able to go manual, but... I've just ordered Yashica electro 35 G from a guy that seems trustworthy 40 euro incuding shipment. Does QL17 have a bigger and better viewfinder, but in the end those two cameras seem to be similar? @CRAusmus I see that you are located in Texas USA, so getting something shipped from Poland is not an option, but if someone sensible sells their QL17, it usually goes to 50 euros top. Getting a good deal on a G2 might be impossible. People know how good it is, especially in the States. My friend had one with 28, 35, 45 and 90 mm lenses. I borrowed it from him from time to time to shot analog, but he sold this for a sh*tload of cash. A G2 with one lens usually sells for 700-1000 euros here, depending on the lens and condition.

Voigtländer Bessa II, Moskva-2, 4 or 5: The Moskvas here go around under 50 euros. If I'll have a chance to get one in WORKING condition, I will surelly do. People sell them as decoration.

Long story short - Yashica Electro 35 G is making it's way towards me :)