Repair X-T2 or New X-t3

redrock

The X-T2 was a big jump from the X-T1 so I did it.  But the X-T3 not so much.  The main circuit board failed in the T2, and Fujifilm wants $450 to repair it.  Looking through eBay used T2's sell on average for about $650 -- plus the high fees.  The T3 is going for $1,400 (wasn't it just $1,300?).  For the few times in my life I would buy the addition three year extended warranty for $58 if I got a T3.

The question is obvious:  paid the $450 for repair, and wait for the T4, or just buy the T3 now and try to sell the T2 for parts.  Everybody says it's my decision; of course.  But I love to have a discussion with an experienced photographer and then I can make the best decision.

By the way if I have it repair they will not return the old board -- my property!?

Just two remarks from me:

1. I don't think you will get much, if anything, for a broken T2

2. You need to give some information about your shooging style.

Would you benefit from the improved AF-C of the the T3? Are you really an action photographer?

Would you benefit from the IBIS that the T4 will likely have? Are you using lenses that do not have OIS and do you do a lot of available light photography? Then may be a used H1 would be an alternative?

Would you benefit from the global shutter that the T4 will possibly have? This will allow noiseless electronic shutter (ES) for moving objects, may be classical concerts or wedding ceremonies. Also higher frame rates will be possible. So if the 11 fps of the T2 with mechanical shutter are not enough and if you can't use the ES of the T2 because of the rolling shutter effect then pay the repair and wait for the T4. Same if you are a videographer. The T4 will likely bring big improvements on tne video side.

• 1 month later...

Re: XT-2 Repair &/or Replacement Cost  -- *Build issues*

Sorry if this is slightly OT (specific to buy/sell new vs. keep X-T2)
I've been wanting to ask forum folks this, but not seen much activity. (I lasted posted over a year ago, and before that when considering the X-T2).

I've been considering a 2nd X-T2 vs T3 vs. used X-T2.
BUT -- Having a real issue with X-T2 build quality (casing screws) and wondering if it's only me.

Within about 18 months, while in the field with camera and big (Fuji) lens, I noticed the tripod screw mounting area on the camera bottom was loose, and the tiny screws holding it in place, gone. I returned home and had intended to send it in for service (the casing was concerning me - poor integrity, to say nothing of "weather resistance).  I used the camera one more time as an event was happening, and that was the end. The board fried, apparently when contacting the now-looser tripod mount assembly which was unanchored to the camera shell.  

So... a $450 repair for a fairly new camera (IMM) for "loose screws".   I've just gotten it back and went out in the street for a long walk - no tripod, just 18-55mm lens, straight from repair. So far so good.

I'm *hoping* for the best.  Still... coming from SLR's and DSLR's, while I've lost weight and gained some wonderful things (like film emulations), I'm thinking something is wrong with this build - This has never happened to me in a half century of camera ownership.  Did I just get a lemon?

So that's my overall feelings at the moment about the X-T2, despite loving the electronics and image results and glass...  And this might relate to re-sale value, to circle back to original post.

And full-circle, I had the same question about getting a 2nd X-T2 (maybe used, though now I'd have more concerns), or XT-3.  I decided for my purposes the X-T2 is more desirable than the 3 (ergonomics, downgraded tilt screen, etc.).  I've been comparing other X models too, which are compatible with my now-grown collection of lenses, a real investment.

**UPDATE/EDIT**
Aug 2019 -  I ended up buying a 2nd X-T2 body because not to take advantage of the big sale is something I'd kick myself for later, as I did missing out on a big discount on a lens in the past, and regretting it.  I passed on the X-T3 for reasons of size, the EVF downsize and downgrade in swivel-ability of the monitor. Mostly, I think the X-T2 is a perfect camera, despite my (thankfully one and only) issue with the first I had coming apart after 2 years. That's my own story. 

<....>

So, in response to decision-making, one vs. another, I think it's very personal in terms of need. (In fact that's what I researched, but won't digress here.) 

FWIW, I've been using the XT-2 with a kit of 18-55mm, 18-135mm(WR), and 100-400 (WR), and it works great for me, though neither individually or as a combination I don't see too many others in love with the 18-135, and rare reviews of the 100-400.
[For me that lens has been great, but... after one repair early-on too - for... build!  (Ring fell out!) But golden since and nice lens. E.g., http://fenichel.com/birds/rookery.shtml ]

Anyone else see some missing screws on the bottom of your X-T2 or have experience with the case loosening as screws fall out? 

Grrr...
Good luck with all the decisions!  As long as the stage and light and inspiration are right, almost any camera can do! ;)

Edited by FenFotos

• 1 month later...