Convince me not to dump my X stuff

pizzaman

No, nothing to convince you with.

If I would have wanted a Sony I would have got that one. In the shop where I got my Fuji they had more Sony stuff that they had Fuji but I got myself a Fuji because I couldn’t stand the Sony’s.

I imagine that for you is the other way around. There is no one key which fits all locks, no one lid for every pot... and no camera for us all.

Get yourself the Sony if that’s what floats your boat. 

Have fun with your Sony!

Bye!  :D

In all honesty, I don't think there is anything, yet, on the market that would satisfy your requirements.

Maybe the next iteration of the Sony A7S ? Considering the very impressive update the Sony A7RII got, if the A7S gets anything alike that, it will be a very impressive camera.

The main issue is the high ISO value, currently only the D4S and the A7S hold such value with relative decent quality, maybe the Nikon D810A too, not too certain about it at the moment.

Also, if you feel that your gear doesn't take you where you want it, maybe it's true. We can not tell you how it should be used, you know it better than we do, the best we can do is provide personal experience that might not match what you want/expect.

What you want doesn't really exist. There are a few compromises which you may find more appealing than the X-Pro1, though.

Switching to Leica will give you higher resolution. That's it. Image quality at equivalent size is no different, noise performance is no different and the current Leica line-up are slightly larger and slower then the Fujis.

Sony will give you higher resolution and about 0.5 stop better noise performance. They don't look like rangefinders, they're not smaller then the Pro1 and they don't have a good native lens line-up; they take adpaters well, though, so you could use Canon or Nikon lenses on them, though that'll also add to the size.

Wait for the X-Pro2. I have it on good authority it'll be somwhere north of 20mp and it's reasonable to assume that noise performance will be 0.5-1 stop better, as falls in line with the usual body upgrades. If you don't like the X-Pro1, though, the Pro2 likely won't serve you well, either.

The Fuji X-E2 won't solve any of your problems other than it's the only rangefinder-style camera which is smaller than the X-Pro1. Eh, if you can't get something you're happy with, you might as well at least save some weight.

As far as flash goes, nobody does what you want. That kind of flash doesn't exist any more. It's kind of surprising Fuji even bothered to put a clip-on flash in with the X-T1. People these days are happy enough bumping the ISO up (if they even give ISO a second thought), or if they are into flash then they're really into flash and will use flashguns or flash heads off-camera with manual control. The kind of clip-on box flash you're after died out many years ago. The few that exist now are no different to the pop-up flash you get on the X-T10 or any entry-level SLR. You're either going to have to live without flash, move up to a full-size flashgun or live with things like the EF-X20. There's nothing like that but better. (I'll also add that the fad for overexposed direct on-camera flash portraiture has already run its course and become unfashionable, so I'd have a good long think about whether this is something you really care about.)

@CrAusmus - Sorry - the sony A7II. Not a rangefinder. But I would (begrudgingly) give that up because in every other way that matters to me it's beyond the XT-1. 

Ahh.  I see.  Everything I hear about the A7II is good.  I think if you want to go to Sony, then the A7II is where to go.  They are about to release the A7rII though I believe.

I actually heavily considered the A7 series of cameras before I chose Fuji instead.  I went with Fuji mainly because they had a more populated lens line up then Sony did.  Of course Sony has a lot of third party lenses, and mounts for legacy glass.  I was starting from scratch, so I went Fuji and I plan to grow with Fuji.  I don't think you can go wrong with the A7II though at all.  It's an excellent camera.

Any reason you can't hang on to the Pro 1 just to shoot when you can slow down and do some personal projects and still get the Sony?

If the price is right, maybe I can help relieve you of that Pro 1, if you decide to go that route...

In all honesty, I don't think there is anything, yet, on the market that would satisfy your requirements.

Maybe the next iteration of the Sony A7S ? Considering the very impressive update the Sony A7RII got, if the A7S gets anything alike that, it will be a very impressive camera.

The main issue is the high ISO value, currently only the D4S and the A7S hold such value with relative decent quality, maybe the Nikon D810A too, not too certain about it at the moment.

Also, if you feel that your gear doesn't take you where you want it, maybe it's true. We can not tell you how it should be used, you know it better than we do, the best we can do is provide personal experience that might not match what you want/expect.

The A7s though has a much higher native ISO doesn't it (102k)?  It's more of a low light camera is it not (by low light I mean night/star).  At least all the Sony shooters I've see, the A7r is their main body and the S is their night/astro camera.  Specifically Chris Burkard is who I'm thinking of...

I wasn’t suggesting that you were looking for a camera to do everything I merely pointed out that maybe Fuji is indeed not for you.

If you feel the Sony does what the Fuji can’t then go for the Sony. There is no point in using a system which doesn’t please you.

- Smaller is better, I don't want to go any bigger than the x pro 1.

Well why even bother writing this thread then? The Sonys in combination with the larger lenses will, of course, be bigger than your x-pro1 setup.

- I need good lenses at the (full frame equivalent) 35mm, 40mm, 50 and 85-95mm focal lengths. Fuji has a great (27)40mm. Their current 35mm renders great but smaller would be better. I'd give up a stop for that, especially if they can bump up their ISO capability. Again, contax G size lenses and focal lengths are perfect. the 35/2, 45/2 and 90/2.8 on that are all I've ever needed for small format camera.

This is where I totally NOT understand you at all. The Fujinon lenses are optically great, the uncoming 35/2 is smaller and weather sealed, and comparably small. Just look at the Sony Zeiss 35 1.4. Expecting Contax G size lenses, though, is just dumb. Besides, f/1.4 and 1.2 glass will obviously help the ISO performance of the sensor. Just as a thought.

- Better flash. The contax tla200 is the perfect flash for me - the look, the coverage and the recycle times are all usable. The ef-ex20 - is there any way to hook up a power pack to it or something? It looks ok and I can deal with it, but it shoots way too slowly, and I shoot a lot of overexposed/flash portraiture. I hate using a big ass flash on top of my nikon - it doesn't look the same and it's a lot bigger, but right now I have to resort to that for most jobs. I don't have the time to wait for the fuji flash to recharge when I'm shooting someone who only has 10 min. 

Then inform yourself and test the Nissin i40 which is a awesome little flash. Still, no Fuji flash that comes close in performance to the high end models of Canikon.

Convince me that they are working on these things and I shouldn't chuck the Fuji stuff. I would really rather keep it, but it's not as useful as I need it to be right now. 

This is where you totally lost me. Why would you require any other person than yourself to talk you out or into something? If you're so much into using that slow-ish Contax glass, then go ahead. But there are simply better and more modern glass options available. If you only want to use the Contax glass at the native field of view, then you already know what the way to go is.

i don't think I should convince you. I like buying used ;)

As Marc pointed out: a relatively small system camera with awesome lenses? At the moment there is only Fuji (µFT is ok too, but they got another sensor disadvantage - I consider it to be a good video option) 

There is one thing you should think about: waiting!

The X-Pro2 is said to be around the corner (though this corner could be half a year) and a flash system has been rumored for months (it's said that it was pushed back due to problems wit Metz) 

So think about it: can you live with your current camera for another half year?

The A7s though has a much higher native ISO doesn't it (102k)?  It's more of a low light camera is it not (by low light I mean night/star).  At least all the Sony shooters I've see, the A7r is their main body and the S is their night/astro camera.  Specifically Chris Burkard is who I'm thinking of...

You are correct on the Sony A7S native ISO, sadly the camera sacrifice a lot to reach that uncommonly high ISO value, the first one is the resolution, it's a 12 MP camera, even by 2013 standard, that's low. Second point, I have been told that the AF isn't really that good, it's about the speed of the A7R which was about as slow as our X-T1 pre FW 4.0.

But if you need to go deep into the night, that camera doesn't have any direct competitor, just for reference, the Nikon D4S native ISO is a 25k, that's 2 stops lesser than the Sony.

Now, the Nikon D5 is expected to use also the BSI sensor from Sony which would also allow 102k native ISO with a 20 MP sensor.

The X-Pro2 is also around the corner.

If the wonderful Fuji glass and colors weren't already enough, the controls are certainly a deal-maker with Fuji for me.

Since I got my X100s I can't imagine going back to the PSTM style dials: direct access to speed and aperture is so much nicer.

X-Pro 2 is certainly worth the wait (new sensor, recruter...)

Well it seems clear enough that there will be an X-Pro2 at some point but beyond that general statement everything else is rumour and guess work.

Your initial post makes it sound like you're already more or less convinced that you need to look elsewhere for something that meets your needs. So why not go with your own judgement instead of asking for opinions from what are, after all, a bunch of strangers, none of whom know your work or your needs.

Peterh, what exactly is so demanding in your (mainly) portrait photography that the X Pro 1 is not up to? For what you tell us, your lenses are not exactly what a portraitist would use. I would understand if you said the AF isn't fast enough (for portraits? Hmm.), or that the camera has some unresolved quirks. But IQwise, the X Pro 1 remains an instrument of supreme quality and ease of use. Ask yourself what individual feature would be your compelling need --that a Sony might or migh not posess-- that would force you to dump your Fuji and not wait another while for the X Pro 2? What outweights the pleasure of using a Fuji X vs the flavorless nintendo-type of squarish plastic with electronics? If you still use the marvelous Contax G, you are not the GAS type.

I also still use 6x6 film, but for quality portraits, I grab my X-T1 and a good old manual flash if I need more light. The dynamic range of digital nowadays is just as good, if not better. Sharpness is miles better than my Hasselblad lenses can render and ISO? Seriously, you want a Contax lookalike but need ISO 12800 performance? If you are used to film, I would consider clean ISO 1600 already a godsend, something which almost any aps-c camera nowadays will give without even resorting to noise reduction... I would love to see a portrait where you need that high ISO performance to begin with? If you like what you hear about Sony, feel free to go have a look. But if you already think the Fuji bodies are not to your rangefinder liking, prepare to be disappointed...

Sony has their pros and cons.

The 35mm F1.4 is HUGE but it gets you a look that is unique to that sensor size.

I've shot them side by side and I prefer Fujifilm.

The only one that is worth considering IMHO is the A7 II and A7r II

A7R II with some Batis lenses looks great. But it's also hugely expensive... And not a rangefinder... And renders in those typical Sony colours...

For what in the end? One, maybe one and a half stop more ISO performance? Huge files that eat hard drives and memory cards for breakfast? Compromises in lenses, either small and light but crap image quality? Or expensive, huge and heavy, but superbly sharp? And a body that looks very plasticky and not at all like the old school film camera looks we usually like...