Lens Advice Please

Markus_D

Metabone have very good adapter for both Canon and Nikon lenses, just don't forget to multiply the focal length by 1.5 if using their FF line of lenses.

I know mostly about Nikon, thus I can only talk about those.

The AF Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G is rather old now a bit softer on the edges but for less than 180$ it's hard to complain about it. The price/quality ratio is very good. One thing tho, there is no VR on it, so tripod is quite often needed.

The AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED is what I use with my AW1, it's pricier at around 600$ but it's hard to argue with it, the VR works very well, even at 300mm I am still able to get shots at 1/60 without too much camera shake but still, tripod make things a lot easier.

One thing about both lenses, in bright light, both are very good performer, specially on the 70-200 range. Starting 200 to 300, you will gradually lose sharpness. It is not THAT bad, but it can be noticed if you have 2 pictures put side by side.

Low light isn't their forte either, hardly an issue for me since the Nikon 1 series sucks iron coated lead balls when light goes down. So I learned to work with that limitation. 

I guess it will be a bit less worse with the X-T1.

I have no idea of your photography experience or knowledge, so please don't take it personally, but make sure to use lenses that are either made for the same sensor size or for large sensor size.

Well, unless you like the natual lens vignetting effect.

Whilst waiting for the 100-400 to arrive for the XT-1, can anyone please advise what 400mm options / capabilities are available for the XT-1 with adapters? Thanks, Markus

I'd wait for Fuji as it's really difficult to shoot at 600mm eqv. with no stabilizer. Otherwise I'd suggest used nikkor AF 80-400/4.5-5.6 which is reasonably priced quite good zoom via adapter or cheap Samyang/Rokinon 300/6.3 reflex lens.

what are you going to use this for?

One of the least explored type of lens which was always used with adapters with all sorts of cameras is the Novoflex sniper with the pistol grip focus system. ( here the 400mm 5.6)

They come in many focal lengths  ( some even offer multiple focal lengths by changing the lens element) and have the advantage of a quick focus system that made them, before AF lenses, very suitable for Photo-safaris.

Some of them have a limiter which helps keeping focus only within a certain range, hence being quicker.

True these days, outside the shooting of wildlife, you might attract the attention of the police with one of these.

Otherwise other lenses with internal focus might be also nice.

Operating a long zoom with no autofocus and no communication between camera  and lens is not what I would call easy.

If you had ever used one you probably would change your mind.

Besides the 50-230mm is yes shorter but costs a pittance and I would say that performs very well. I own it and use it. for everything above that a fixed focal length works the trick.

Operating a long zoom with no autofocus and no communication between camera  and lens is not what I would call easy.

If you had ever used one you probably would change your mind.

Could be, though I imagine it has been done.

I have the 55-200 and am not particularly displeased with it though it does often come up short. Like the OP I'd like a nice longer AF lens like the upcoming 100-400.

Mike

A radical alternative idea, since the 100-400mm may be a very long time in coming.

May I suggest you fill the gap with one of the superzoom bridge cameras. Even though the sensor is tiny, current technology has allowed it to produce unexpectedly good results, specially in good light. Long zooms don't really have much application indoors—concert photography, perhaps. 

Bridge cameras are fully adjustable, and many have nice features like WiFi control and GPS for traveling. Compared to the likely price range of the 100-400mm, they are highly affordable. They can be anything from 600mm FOV to 2000mm maximum. I have the 2000mm and it is really remarkable. Image stabilization is awesome allowing handheld shooting at well under 1/200th of a second. It solved a lot of problem shots that were beyond my X-Pro1 kit and D700 on a recent long photo trip. Traveling in unfamiliar territory makes the GPS invaluable. 

Certainly when the 100-400mm arrives, on an X-camera both versatility and low light image quality may well justify the price. However, the unique qualities of the bridge camera are likely to keep it as part of the arsenal. Few photographers have ever seen a 2000mm lens, let alone shot with one.

Many thanks for the advice. I have the 55-200, 3.5-4.8. Birds and distant wild life. I have had Canon in the past (100-400 on a 7D body) but my body is getting older so changed to Fuji (and very happy about it) for the weight issue.

I think the best option mentioned in the short term is to get the canon adapter from metabones and a canon 400 5.6 (Non IS) lens.

The other I have been thinking seriously about is as per Larry B. Get a superzoom bridge camera.

Have been looking at the new G3x Canon. The positive with this is the 1" sensor and 600x zoom but no viewfinder.

I have not yet got freindly with LCD's - I still prefer the viewfinder.,

Again, many thanks for your suggestions

You're not going to get stellar results with adapted superteles, period. Just a bunch of expensive glass to lug around.

Do yourself a favor and get a mirror lens, such as Samyang 300/6.3 in Fuji X mount. It's lightweight and as sharp (if not sharper) as any adapted 400/5.6.

I do not recommend using anything longer than 300mm on APS-C cameras if you're not an expert shooter.

I think the best option mentioned in the short term is to get the canon adapter from metabones and a canon 400 5.6 (Non IS) lens.

You have to remember that you can't control the aperture of an EOS lens as you have no electronic control. Nikons (except the newest E series) has an advantage here as the aperture is controlled mechanically and whats even better with their aperture rings on non-G lenses. Rokinon/samyang 300 reflex is the same as canon as they have fixed aperture.

[...]

Have been looking at the new G3x Canon. The positive with this is the 1" sensor and 600x zoom but no viewfinder.

I have not yet got freindly with LCD's - I still prefer the viewfinder.,

[...]

If you are willing to go bridge format, it's hard to compete against the Nikon P900, provided you are able to grab one. 

83x optical zoom, IBS, it goes from 24 to 2000mm with 16MP sensor. You can still crop into the picture for a total of 166x zoom. 

Small video of the camera in action:

https://youtu.be/mfshAzV0FN4

Again, thanks for the replies. From those I believe I can discount my thoughts about the Canon 400 5.6. Yes, the manual focus would be a problem.

I like the idea of the Samyang: from both a cost and size, but I have never gotten my head around mirror lenses: they have always had a negative vibe with me. But that is probably because the older (1950 - 1960)type mirror lenses were not good.

Nikon P900: hmmmm.

Thanks guys.

Happy shooting.

if you have the chance do try one of the Novoflex. You don’t necessarily need the “ sniper” stock. 

Countless of sport and wildlife photographers used these before of the autofocus because the pistol focusing gave them a very quick and precise focus that NO long lens can achieve with the same speed otherwise.

this is a German review of the longer 600mm

@https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGfm_EIybww

this is a German review of the longer 600mm

"Optical quality is 5 out of 10". Dude is rather optimistic, I'd say it's more 3 out of 10 by 2015 standards, or marginally better than a cellphone with "telescopic" gizmo. Besides, you shouldn't use a 600x1.5 lens for the reach, its intended use is it to blow up relatively close objects like birds. That's where a built-in extension tube comes in handy.

Well, we are talking of the 400mm here, which is considerably better lens than the 600mm in the video. 

There are many websites with people showing off the results of their 400mm novoflex.

I would like to see a side by side shootout Novoflex 400 and Samyang mirror lens.

I am sure the Novoflex wold be quicker in use.

Yet cropping the results of the 50-230 is probably also giving very good results for most of us!

Just as an option.
I have a 1.54x teleconverter from Raynox (and 2.5x model exists as well) which just can be screwed to lens filter thread. So teleconverted longest Fuji's 230mm became 354mm. It works, but adds various distortions from center to edges, and sharpness lowers a little. Color rendering also differs. Vignetting. A bit pricy. Bulky. Despite on all drawbacks, it still an usable instrument when capturing from long distance and IQ less important.

Here is a sample taken when I tried figure out what can I do with Fuji 50-230 and Raynox 1.54x. 
Note the blurry bottom part even after downsizing to 0.5MP.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

When I bought my first Fuji X body, I used a perfectly mint Canon FD lens range.

Little by little, I bought my X lenses. 

Honestly, there is no comparison there.

I was disappointed by the FD lenses IQ on Fuji X body, or surprisingly happy with the X lens quality.

For a while, I expected to find a good 400 Canon FD. I eventually found some pictures in the Internet made by this lens on a X-Pro 1 and... I decided to wait for the 100-400 X, whatever the necessary time to wait for it.

Quality, focus, etc... No way, I don't use any vintage lens anymore on my X body.

Regards.

JM

I have an XT-! with both the 55-200 and 18-135 but for birds and wildlife, I am using my D800 and the AF-S  80-400 lens.  The Fuji autofocus is not up to the D800's speed.   It's the only time I use the Nikon set up.   I am looking forward to the release of the Fuji 100-400.

Hi Markus,

There are obviously more than a few options and opinions about possible long lenses while waiting for the Fuji 100-400.

You're obviously going to have to settle for manual focus, but it is workable.  I'd suggest being very careful in buying film era lenses.  Older telephotos aren't as good as their modern counterparts.  They often generate PF and CAs on high contrast edges and their mimimum focusing distance tends to be quite long.  My own recommendation is for the Sigma Apo Tele Macro 400/5.6.  They are a brilliant lens for the money.  See the Photozone report (in Canon) where they say it's as good as the 400/5.6 L lens.  They're not small - weighing about 1.4 kg.  They're well made, apochromatic, good wide open, better at f8, internal focus, cause no PF or CAs, and are very close focusing for a 400mm.  They focus to within two metres and a magnification of 1:3.  Their only disavantage is that they don't seem to deliver good results with teleconverters.  They come up occasionally on e-Bay and you'd need one in Pentax or Nikon mount to get an aperture ring for use on an XT1.  About US$450-500 in Nikon mount, more in Pentax.  They have the words 'Apo Tele Macro' on them and a 77mm filter ring.  Don't confuse them with the earlier Sigma Apo 400mm f5.6 general purpose telephoto lens with a 72mm filter which were quite cheap and not in same league.

A smaller lighter option available for half the price is the Tokina ATX 400/5.6.  Not as good as the Sigma ATM, but very portable.

If you're feeling like spending a much bigger budget, you could of course look at the Canikon ED alternatives.  I personally wouldn't buy the non-ED versions - they may be solidly made, more easily found and cheaper, but you're back in PF/CA territory.

Hope that helps, Rod

my problem - exactly,    the XC 50 - 230 does not quite have the range - the XS1 still competes with the rest due to its sensor, processor and quality lens - tried the longer lens eg HS50 but they do not preform better than the XS1, the other long lens are 1 - 2/3 sensor and end result no better than the XS1 = tried the Samyang 300 but it was manual focus - at end of day no better than the XC zoom. I wait now = for the XF100 to 400 or the XS2    ------------------        traded the samyang 300mm at a loss as part payment against the XF35 - if gaining experience is a loss - u can profit by it   uk i play with changing lens - on safari in Africa i only pack the XS1

Some "interesting" ideas suggested here. For quality image results, mirrors aren't often your best bet.

If you want real reach and have the budget, you won't find a better lens (price and quality) that a nice Nikkor 500/4P. You can pick up a great one for under $2000usd. If that's a little on the high end, the still north of $1000usd is a lighter weight Nikkor 400/3.5 ais. I owned the 500/4P for over 15 years and found it to be a truly superlative optic. I only sold it because my imaging interests changed pretty dramatically. At their current prices, you won't ever lose much value if you decide to sell later. Since both lenses use high end optics, but are mechanically simple and lack electronics, you'll be getting a lot of value for the money, and the lens should remain completely functional for decades to come.

I have owned the Novoflex 400mm/600mm. They are not well usable on a tripod as they are made for handheld shooting. You need at least to stop down to F8/F11 to get acceptable results. At the same time you need speeds of at least 1/1000s. As the Fujis are missing an inbody stabilization I don`t think they make any sense. I have sold my Novoflex set (400mm, 600mm, grip C, case, ...) in very good condition again for about 300,- €. 

I still have the Samyang 300mm which is light and small. However, it is quite difficult to get pictures in focus. It has a very thin depth of field. The slightest turn on the focus ring will spoil the image. Here are some samples I have shot with the 300mm Samyang:

19380111866_b23f179fcc_h.jpgBaling Hay by Cruiser223, on Flickr

see more examples here. I have been trying to sell the lens at 160,- € with no success, so I just keep it for the fun of it.

I guess for now the best option are the long XF/XC zooms. Looking forward to the XF 100-400mm ...