Small flash for X-E2 - EF-20 or Meike MK320

Hi!

I want to get a flash for my X-E2. Of course Nissin i40 and EF-42 from Fuji are the best, but those are large units, that I don't feel carrying along that much after getting rid of my canon gear. I want to buy a small unit. I don't need firepower - I'm fine with ISO1600. I need celling/wall bounce. I want to be able to fire this off-camera using third party nonTTL triggers in manual mode.

EF-20 from Fuji is the natural choice. I don't know how to adjust firepower off-camera, and it only swivels upwards, but those are limitations I can live with.

Slightly cheaper you can get Meike MK320 TTL Fuji lamp, that is about the same size, can be turned upwards and sideways and provides many buttons to control the flash in manual mode.

Did someone here have had any experiences with those two units and can share their insight?

EF-20 from Fuji is the natural choice. I don't know how to adjust firepower off-camera, and it only swivels upwards, but those are limitations I can live with.

You can adjust power of the EF-20 off camera, although it's not as straightforward as with EF-X20.

@Trenton: thanks ! So the only thing that is missing in the EF-20 is left-right swivel for bouncing light. EF-X20 looks like that cute Contax G2 flash, but it can only flash straight.

@Steve: you did muddy the waters :) I will get some nonTTL flashes for umbrellas later on. Now I need the first flash to use on the camera itself, for chasing kids indors. OIS does not get the job done by itself when the kids move around all the time :)

Anyone had the chance to play with Meike MK320 Fuji TTL?

@Trenton: thanks ! So the only thing that is missing in the EF-20 is left-right swivel for bouncing light. EF-X20 looks like that cute Contax G2 flash, but it can only flash straight.

I have (and use) both EF-20 and EF-X20. On camera, latter is quite useful in adding catchlights (usually at the minimum setting) and providing some fill. But both can be used in full TTL with Canon-compatible off-camera cord, and that's where EF-X20 really shines – I'm loving that big dial and seamless TTL/Manual integration!… EF-20 is more of a backup flash in my arsenal.

Anyone had the chance to play with Meike MK320 Fuji TTL?

I just bought one for Panasonic, so it's not apples to apples. But comparing it to the EF-20, it's a little bigger/heavier, the diffuser isn't integral (they include a Stofen knock-off) one more thing to carry/lose but better softening if you're into that sort of thing, has direct manual controls, swivels+tilts (that's not readily apparent from the pictures) and a strobe function. Mine's getting exchanged because it won't read more than 2/3rds charge even with fresh batteries, and it killed those after less than 50 frames, so QA might be an issue.

I have the MK320 and have had real food luck using all modes. The buttons are quite small as is the screen . I used it off camera with my Yongnuo's sender and receivers and it works real well. But as all things take time to learn so will this gadget, the price is right but it is not a serious piece of equipment

I use the Fuji EF-42 as my prime flash, with the Yongnou 560II when more power is required, although it is a manual flash. I did have the Fuji EF 20 and whilst I found it to be a pocketable flash, I found it to be disappointing and overpriced, so I sold that to part fund the EF-42.

But I still liked the idea of a pocketable  flash and I managed to source a Meike MK 320 on eBay, so far I have found to be as good on TTL as the Fuji EF-42, it is well constructed, tilts up and swivels sideways, comes with a pouch, stand and diffuser, all would be extra's with the Fuji EF 20, with an average cost of about £50/€70/$78 it is a very good buy, it also has a switchable LED light and interestingly it has a port on the side for a micro usb enabling rechargeable batteries to be charged in situ from any USB port!

Yes I can recommend the  Meike MK 320 at less than half the price of the Fuji EF 20

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is the Meike MK 320 enough to light up group shots during a party indoors?

I think it is a case 'how long is a piece of string' how big the party and how large the room and how well lit the room is. You can extend the flash by increasing the ISO and if the image get's a bit too dark remove shadow's in post processing with LightRoom or similar software.

• 2 months later...

I own Meike MK320 and it is a nice flash. ttl works great, slave mode too, when I use it as an off camera flash and trigger it by pop-up flash on my x-e1.

It is not very expensive, but it is pricier than YN flashes, although YN don't have ttl flash for Fuji.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a Meike 320 and for the money it is pretty good I think.  Decent build quality and a 32 GN is good enough for most indoor usage, including bounce.  It does have some vignetting but I can live with it.

However, one odd thing.  The ETTL mode works well mounted on the camera (my X-E2), but for some reason it won't work using an off-shoe flash cord - either Canon's or Lastolite's.  I've seen someone online saying that the Canon cord works fine with an X-T10 and a Fuji flash gun, so it could be something about the Meike flashgun.  Disappointing, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought the Meike 320 for Fujifilm a few days ago. I think it is brilliant. TTL on the body works well, off the body as an optical slave works very well too, simple and practical. Strong, small, light, well built, very competitive price but feels like a quality product - what more can you ask for. Includes a diffusor and a desktop stand (with a tripod thread on the bottom). I just ordered another one. I also ordered the FlashQ 1tx + 2rx set, I will report on it when it arrives. Of course, for studio work you will likely use something bigger but as a low weight unit for travelling or for holidays, I think it is very nice to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my FlashQ T1-S (new version) set, one TX and two RX. Tiny, lightweight, cool. Works to 1/200 with my X-T10 and my two Meike 320 for Fuji. Very small and portable mini setup. Good fun. The only downside I see as for now is that the RX does not fit firmly into the table-top stand that came with the Meike. A piece cut from an old credit card solves that.

The set was delayed for a few days (sold out) but the folks at LightPix were very fast and polite in their response to my mail and then it came very fast as promised. (4 days Hong-Kong to EU - Slovakia).