Histogram strangeness

stolzy

I'm trying to shoot with ISO at native level and do the necessary amplification in post.
However, in many shooting situations this makes the viewfinder image too dark to compose.  To counter this I set 'Preview Exp' to off.  Now I can see the scene fine, but the histogram doesn't respond to changes in exposure.  It responds to changes in the scene, but not to changes in exposure.

Anyone have a clue?

Fuji derives the live-histogram from the viewfinder data. By turning off Preview Exp. in M Mode, the viewfinder and the histogram no longer reflect the (predicted) captured image. This isn't a problem with the usual usage of that option, which is flash photography, because the live-histogram isn't particularly useful in flash photography anyway.

There's little advantage in using too low an ISO. All that you gain is some highlight headroom, and you can achieve that with DR200 or DR400 without messing up your workflow so much. Doing amplification in post will increase posterization of gradients. And if you're shooting at ISO 200 when you should've been at 800 or above, you're going to have higher noise due to the dual conversion gain (quantum-to-analog) structure of the X-T2 sensor.

For best results, shoot at the highest ISO setting that gives you adequate highlight headroom (for a given shutter speed/aperture setting).

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply.  On reflection it was a daft question since using the native ISO in low light conditions makes the histogram something of an irrelevance.

I like the idea of just using the native ISO and gaining all the available highlight headroom because you can't get back a blown highlight.  The camera DR is not relevant since I'm only shooting in RAW.  My own investigations suggest that amplifying in post is indistinguishable from increasing ISO in terms of noise and shadow gradation.  Which is only to be expected since the sensitivity of the sensor isn't changed by increasing the ISO just the in-camera amplification.

I like the highlight headroom and I like being able to choose a shutter seed free from the requirement to get the exposure 'correct' in the camera.

Cheers

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Ahoy ye hearties! Hoist ye yon Jolly Roger and Cascade away. NGC 1502 The Jolly Roger Cluster:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

This is the equivalent of 43 minutes, 40 seconds of exposure. NGC 1502 is a neat little cluster located in the Camelopardalis Constellation. This region of space was thought to be fairly empty by early astronomers, but as you can see, there is a lot there. Kemble's Cascade (a.k.a. Kemble 1) is named for Father Lucian Kemble, a Canadian Franciscan friar who wrote about it to Walter Scott Houston, an author for the Sky And Telescope magazine. Houston named the asterism for Fr. Kemble and the name "stuck". NGC 1501 is the Oyster Nebula. A longer focal length telescope is needed to bring this one into good viewing, but it is well worth the effort. NGC 1502: https://skyandtelescope.org/online-gallery/ngc-1502/ Camelopardalis Constellation: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camelopardalis Kemble's Cascade (and NGC 1501: The Oyster Nebula): https://www.constellation-guide.com/kembles-cascade/  
    • Looking for input; there are some decent deals and might want to take advantage to expand my lenses for my 100s already own: 110/2 32-64 35-70 100-200 + TC   Shooting mostly family shots, bringing my kit to capture family outings indoors and out. Tracking the 63/43 effective FLs on the two, but has anybody used both? Would the 55 (covered by two zooms right now) be redundant? Would the 80 be too similar in character to my 110 for portraiture?
    • See what I mean? Two instantaneous ads. Worthless.   
    • What's the deal Fuji X Forum? I'm noticing there are seldom replies to any topics - except for advertisements posted as replies. Really lame. Anyone else noticing the only reply they receive to a question is an advert?  🤠 fotomatt in Colorado