The most versatile lens for my photography usage

shaby

Hi,

I own th XT-1.

After searched for opinions and "way of mind" all over - I want to advice with the FUJI'S.

I am A photography is A hobby for me.

I like taking shots at streets - people And , situations happen at street , interesting buildings , abandoned buildings.

At the moment I using the XF-18-55.

So thinking of buying A wide-angle short lenses

And want to advice with you which is the best suits me.
35? 23? ..... or any other else?

If possible - offering option A and B.

Thank you very much! 

Lens usage is very subjective. So every photographer has his own favourite lens. My personel favourite is the 23 mm f/1.4.

23 mm give the same angle of view as 35 mm on full frame which is considered one of the best for documentary photography next to 50 mm VF, 33/35 mm APS-C. The f/1.4 gives additional low light capability that the 18-55 does not have. So depending if you like to go close to the people or if you prefer some distance the 35 mm f/1.4 might be a good choice as well. However, the 35 mm gives a slower AF on the T1. I do prefer the 23 mm because in rooms the larger angle of view makes it a litte bit easier for me.

In case you expect a lot of rain or dust the f/2.0 versions may be good alternitives. They provide weather resistance at the cost of one step low light capability.

The 16 mm f/1.4 brings the same low light capability as the 23/1.4 and the 35/1.4 but also extends the angle of view compared to the 18-55 and additionally has a shorter focus distance and weather resistance. So it brings four new features that the 18-55 does not have. However, many think that 16 mm is a little bit wide for street photography. But again, it is all subjective and depend on your style of photography.  

Go back through your photos and see what focal length you are using most, this will give you a good idea of what you are taking.

There must be a good reason you are asking this question, do you want a wider or narrower field of view?

Personally I use the 23mm and 56mm lenses.

Like Jürgen has said, it's all subjective.

Hi,

Sorry for the delay with my respond...my leg was broken And I had A surgery

First of all:
f/1.4  versions are out of budget so it would be better to talk only about the f/2.

@Jürgen Heger
This is the respond of the century 🙂
"closer vs distance"...Well, I dont see myself shooting 2-3 meters from the person I want to take a photo of.
I will still keep A 20 (approx) meters off the person...maybe at the future I will have the courage to get closer.

Weather resistance: I dont know. Winter here is just 3-3.5 months .... rest of year sunny.
During summer could be dust...not that much.
So maybe in that case f/2.0 at the end would be A better alternative.

Difference between f/2.0 to f/2.8 could be very noticeable?

The The 16 mm f/1.4  is WAY OVER the budget.

@tractorboyx
How can I see the focal length?
I cant see that detail on the picture info in camera roll
Regarding wider VS narrower - I photographing from distance of 20 (approx) meters...so it "more of" narrower, right?

Thanks for both of you!
@Jürgen Heger 🤩