How you set up exposure mode

Aperture mode

-        Set aperture on lens.

-        Set shutter dial to A.

-        Set ISO dial to A and use front command to dial auto ISO (with a minimum of 1/125” when shooting people).

-        Set EC dial to C and use front command dial to compensate exposure.

I only scroll the front command dial to adjust EC. The auto ISO setting guarantees a safe shutter speed. This method works well for me when lighting is changing. Should the camera choose odd exposure, I can lock exposure with the AEL button and then dial in the proper EC.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Manual mode

-        Set aperture on lens.

-        Set shutter dial to T and use back command dial to choose shutter speed.

-        Set ISO dial to A and use front command dial to choose ISO.

-        Set EC dial to 0 or leave it at C. EC is not used in manual mode so you can ignore it.

Basically you scroll with the two command dials and balance shutter and ISO. Very easy and useful when lighting is stable or with flash (I set flash to TTL and adjust FEC on the flash itself). It saves a  lot of time in post processing when exposure is set properly in camera. For the same reason I like to set WB manually in camera.

So the only thing that changes is this:

• Aperture mode = shutter dial set to A + front command set to control EC.
  • Manual mode = shutter dial set to T + front command set to control ISO.

These methods offer best control and quickest results to me. As nice as the top dials are, they aren't nearly as comfortable as the command wheels. Fuji should make the ISO/shutter/EC dials stick out  a bit and make them less rigid so we could easily scroll them with one finger. As it stands today, I need two fingers to change either ISO/shutter/EC dial, which is a major PITA. If at least the EC dial was accessible with one finger and less rigid, we wouldn't need to toggle the front command dial between ISO and EC. Anyway, the command wheels work well but it would be even better if the top dials were more accessible and less rigid.

I dabbled with semi-manual mode (set aperture and shutter, let camera choose ISO) but this didn't offer good results because you can only compensate within the limits of min/max ISO.

How do you set exposure?

Edited by MonGoose