27mm is the fuji best lens

antonio

People often talk about the 27mm, and your question leaves a lot of room for interpretation. Which lenses are you considering "unnoticed"? Are you asking which has the best image quality? Do you want a good street photography lens? Will you be shooting at night or indoors? Do you really need or opinions since you said you are already buying one?

For me, size is very important. I do a lot of running and biking through the hills and countryside and want to take my camera with me. The 27mm is the only one I can do that with. Photo's come out of it very sharp and the differences between it and the best quality Fuji Primes (currently XF90mm by all accounts) will be very small and only noticeable at 100% crops.

I love this lens - I only bought it to test it out thinking I'd sell it on. I won't be selling it on!

The 27mm lens is certainly Fuji's smallest offering. 

It focusses quickly and accurately and produces sharp and nicely contrasty images. 

For me it's a valid, compact alternative for the 35mm, and can be found on eBay at very interesting prices.  The 27mm has no lens hood, and fitting one would only make it into a non-pancake, but without a hood, just occasionally, you may see a bit of flare. 

If you fit a protective filter, you will see flare more often.

Great lens for street and travel photography, and worth buying.

Owning a 27mm and loving it, I am thus awfully biased toward it.

The greatest thing to goes for it, is of course, its size. It's really small and there are no reasons to not pack it whenever you go out. I like it for streets mostly because it's not tight like the 35mm and not too wide like the 23mm. 

It strikes a nice focal view in my eyes.

But that focal does take some time to get used to and the minim focus is rather large for something so small, I would have prefered something akin 35-40ish cm instead of the close of 50cm it has.

Image quality, it's hard to really complain about it considering the size of the lens. Image are nice and sharp enough, you won't be getting razor edge sharpness like the 90mm but it is still mostly sufficient for what you would use it.

this lens is very cheap to buy these days since Fuji is offering it in a kit with the 18mm and the X-Pro-1 at the total of €899 so, some folks are selling this lens for around €200 to 250 NEW!

@alanbill99

nice pic but something really weird is going on with the sharpening of this image. If I look at 100% at the hands of the climber

thank you all. and, yes bernard,I do appreciate other`s opinion, that´s why we all share this site. About"unnoticed" I meant,considering the big stars like14mm (what I have),and 35mm (dont have). I can point to 56mm and the new 90 as big star as well. 

I am considering to "plug inn" this lens with my xt10, on street (instead of 18-55), so experience like Paul told  whorth a lot for me

I thought about buying an X100T, but I wanted a backup camera that could take interchangeable lenses in case something happened to my X-T1. I already had the 27mm, so I picked up an X-E1 body for $450 and put the 27mm on it. Wonderful purchase. My wife now uses that setup all the time and I take it when I want something compact and low profile. Definitely hits above how most perceive it at first glance without having used it themselves and I do feel like it deserves its own body in my camera bag.

If you fit a protective filter, you will see flare more often.

I have it and love it.  Attached to the X-E2 it makes everything very small to carry around and go unnoticed.

As for flare...put that with some fuji colors (velvia this time) you get something like this:

16659924044_8381a25f28_c.jpgGathering of friends by Marcelo Valente, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Use this lens almost daily.

I got sold my 35mm and bought the 27mm on one of the big fuji x sales for $200 a couple of years ago. It has become the lens that stays on my X-T1,  by far. The other lenses i have (23mm 1.4, 56mm 1.2, 16mm 1.4) are all fantastic for their planned uses, but the 27mm enables me to keep the camera on me at all times. Like everyone else is saying, the lens is just as sharp as a 35mm 1.4. The one thing i would ask for in the lens would be for it to be an f2 for a bit more separation in background, but i suppose the new 35mm f2 will take that title. Only thing is it will still have no comparrison in size to the tiny zippy 27mm.

Looks nice, sharp and contrasts with saturated colour. What's the bokeh like?

Bokeh is okay, it's not buttery smooth like the 35mm 1.4 but it's decent enough for separation, I would have liked it at F2 but honestly at the size of the lens, it is really hard to complain about many things.

Looks nice, sharp and contrasts with saturated colour. What's the bokeh like?

To me the bokeh looks pretty good (for what it is) but it is a bit hard to achieve though. You have to photograph from pretty close and the blur isn't as extreme as for example with the 35 and 56mm. I wouldn't buy this lens for bokeh but for everything else ;)

Edit: You can also see the "not so extreme bokeh" as a plus. Sometimes I even prefer it. At f/2.8 the aperture is fully open so the bokeh is smooth. When you'd shoot the 56mm f/1.2 at f/2.8 the highlights aren't as smooth because the aperture blades are closed a bit. 

15019226830_e069768456_b.jpg

Crab in a jar by Licht Sluw, on Flickr

14900595278_81582695be_b.jpg

Olive by Licht Sluw, on Flickr

I had a 27mm lens, because it was so small (with the X-E2), like an X100. 

It is sharp... small... and thats all.

I liked it, but it is only a little bit smaller than the 35mm without the lenshood, wich is faster, focus is faster at low light, and has a very nice characteristic.

So XF27 is good, but a little bit boring.

15228508122_654f1d6d0f.jpg

Smiling eyes - Flickr

Hmmm, there's always something to change. It's perfect for me for what it is. Don't mind the one stop f/2 <-> f/2.8 (same aperture as all those fantastic very bright f/2.8 zooms ;) ). And since it's half the size of the 18mm makes it more pocketable. There will probably be more smallish lenses in te future, 35mm f/2.0 first. So I guess in a year everyboady can be happy ;)

If you make a 27mm f2.0 it will be more than double the physical length of the current 27mm pancake, and will contain larger glass, so will weigh more and will cost more.  The negatives far outweigh the positives. 

If you want a pancake lens, which is compact and light, you have to accept a slightly slower lens.

The absolute minimum aperture I would ever consider using for documentary or street photography would be F4, but that would have to be exceptional circumstances.  F5.6 is my normal lowest.  I'd rather use f5.6 and raise the ISO than use a larger aperture and leave too much out of focus.

For street photography, reportage, documentary, holiday photos etc., what use is F2.0?

Does anybody actually use such large apertures in these fields of photography?  Certainly nobody I know :)