27mm is the fuji best lens

antonio

Well, I finally snagged a silver one in VG condish, for $170 on Ebay. It's silver, not black like I wanted, and missing the front lens cap, but I'll finall get to see what all the fuss is about.

Enjoy! And like johant said, there are very cheap generic 39mm caps on eBay!

I think it's more of a case of "what are you able do with it", vs. is the 27mm any good.

The '27' is easy to master and does not disappoint.
I wont say how "good" it is, or speak on the build, or the lens cap or the stinking box it came in, it's just an easy lens to get to know.  Like a cheap taco, it's just satisfying to use at a good price.

Those quick to poke at it with a stick maybe aren't patient with other Fuji lenses either. They may also be the crowd that thinks they need a full size sensor, and then find out those often have less pixel density than an M43 Olympus Pen.

"Mastering what you have" is typically a better initial practice then hopping around from lens to lens, blaming glass on one's ability, or "inability" to hit the metaphoric side of barn with 16 MP's of gamma...

Great conversation just the same. At least we all shoot Fuji, right?   You guys probably hate motorcycles,

my humble apologies......

Some stray pot shots with an XE-1 (does anyone even shoot with those anymore?) and the crappy 27mm.

Horrible, complete lack of color saturation

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Nearly no contrast at all, a bit bland.... snooze...

Rotten, worthless bokeh. You can't get bokeh from a 27, forget it.  It's crap. Good luck!

The pics without any feeling at all, flat, boring, very run of the mill "snaps" at best.

Very prone to blowing out the whites, (whoops!) worthless!

It's not capable of finding focus with both hands and a flashlight. 
Especially running around with no flash at an indoor event. Forget it. Just stay home. Buy a Canon!

As a 'beater" lens, it's ok, but no better than an iPhone 4. 
Maybe good enough so you remember where some of the big parts go... but that's it. Not a good lens for anything "expressive",

everything pretty flat, bla-meh....

I think it's more of a case of "what are you able do with it", vs. is the 27mm any good.

The '27' is easy to master and does not disappoint.

I wont say how "good" it is, or speak on the build, or the lens cap or the stinking box it came in, it's just an easy lens to get to know. Like a cheap taco, it's just satisfying to use at a good price.

Those quick to poke at it with a stick maybe aren't patient with other Fuji lenses either. They may also be the crowd that thinks they need a full size sensor, and then find out those often have less pixel density than an M43 Olympus Pen.

"Mastering what you have" is typically a better initial practice then hopping around from lens to lens, blaming glass on one's ability, or "inability" to hit the metaphoric side of barn with 16 MP's of gamma...

Great conversation just the same. At least we all shoot Fuji, right? You guys probably hate motorcycles,

my humble apologies......

Some stray pot shots with an XE-1 (does anyone even shoot with those anymore?) and the crappy 27mm.

Horrible, complete lack of color saturation

900 BMW HDR.jpg

Nearly no contrast at all, a bit bland.... snooze...

load me2.jpg

Rotten, worthless bokeh. You can't get bokeh from a 27, forget it. It's crap. Good luck!

test_003.jpg

The pics without any feeling at all, flat, boring, very run of the mill "snaps" at best.

dry-nasty.jpg

Very prone to blowing out the whites, (whoops!) worthless!

fz_mike.jpg

It's not capable of finding focus with both hands and a flashlight.

Especially running around with no flash at an indoor event. Forget it. Just stay home. Buy a Canon!

800c.jpg

As a 'beater" lens, it's ok, but no better than an iPhone 4.

Maybe good enough so you remember where some of the big parts go... but that's it. Not a good lens for anything "expressive",

everything pretty flat, bla-meh....

versed_frame1100.jpg

Are you the person who writes rhe blog "photos the X Pro-1 Can't take"? I love that blog and your satirical photo commentary is similar in style. If not no worries, but I agree with you about mastering the lenses you have. In this case, I bought the 27 not for the FL, but to turn my XE-1 into a more totable "XE100" to see if I take it with me more than my 18-55. So far, it seems like I do

• 8 months later...

I just got the XF 27mm F2.8 lens last week. On my X-E1 I must say, it's absolutely impressive. I find the focal length to be perfect for so many things, general walk-around, people, street, and more. I find mine to be stunningly sharp, just amazing. Autofocus is very quick. It's tiny and lightweight. Bokeh is pleasing. Rendering is nice, perhaps not "magical" like some faster primes but has nice dimensionality, excellent color and contrast. For the moment, it's my favorite prime, all things considered. 

B

I have posted this in another thread but I think its more appropriate here, has anyone had any issues with the 27mm lens hunting to focus? Mine seems to hunt quite a bit before it focus's even on a landscape shot. The image quality is great and the lightness and portability are great for hiking.

I have posted this in another thread but I think its more appropriate here, has anyone had any issues with the 27mm lens hunting to focus? Mine seems to hunt quite a bit before it focus's even on a landscape shot. The image quality is great and the lightness and portability are great for hiking.

Do you have the latest firmware for camera and lens? Mine hunts some in low light but is super fast in good light on my X-E1, anything newer should work even better.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

it is not a great lens, optically, like some of the other fuji offerings. You trade off the "specialness", optically, for the form factor. 

But neither is it a "dog" lens, either. I got some good images with it, and liked the form factor. Ultimately, though, I sold it. My personal preference is to only put on lenses that have special properties to them. And when you have those, there is little reason to reach for much else. This lens has a HUGE convenience factor, and that's meaningful, but optically it had the weakest argument for that single slot on the body of the camera--which is pretty valuable creative real estate. 

I find it a sharp and versatile lens

You mean the breakfast lounge for gold members? Not my favourite one by far, to be honest. If you mean another lounge, then I haven't been there yet.

The evening lounge, with the fireplace and the all night buffet with scallops, oysters, lobster, etc... And all the good booze you can drink. Must be a different lounge then

• 3 weeks later...

I got one used to add to my "collection" and I really like what I get from it at such a compact size!