Software for importing images from camera

kenjik

Hi. I just purchased a Fuji XT30 and I'm trying to import the images to my MAC. I've installed FujiFilm X Acquire but nothing happens when I connect my camera. I'm running High Sierra as my OS on my MAC. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I might try, or what I might be  doing wrong?

I don't think you need special software to import images into a MAC. I normally just plug the photo card into the card slot on the back of my IMAC and PHOTOS - one of the native Apple apps - takes care of things. I've just tried using a USB connection and PHOTOS works perfectly with that as well. PHOTOS creates a date ordered catalogue for me and then if I need any editing I open Luminar. I only use JPG though - as an old film shooter I try and get it correct first time in the camera. Not sure how PHOTOS treats RAF. 

Hope that helps

On my Mac, my X Acquire software is only used for shooting teathered. For transfer, depending on your photo organization system, the simplest option is just use a Finder window and the built in SD card reader if your device has one or a USB card reader.

If you have an editing program like Lightroom, Capture One, or Luminar, they—for me—all open the import dialog automatically when the camera is connected or an SD care is inserted in the reader.

Also, Fuji makes PC AutoSave (yes, also for Mac) that will transfer wirelessly if I remember.

Edited by MailerDaemon
Grammar and extra suggestion

• 2 weeks later...

Try this:

Go to the Wrench setting.

then Connection setting

Then PC Connection Mode

Change it to USlB Raw Conv/backup Restore.

Now connect the cable to the mac.  Power on the camera.

Give it a shot and let us know. If I have to, I'll try to walk through it step by step on my iMac.

I've just resorted to inserting the SD card into my mac, and then just copying the images to my MAC. It's too bad Fuji doesn't have any kind of software where the photos are downloaded to my MAC with at least the date. I had a Fuji camera years ago that came with a CD and software and the photos were downloaded with the date. Now, it seems, there is no CD, or import software. Oh well, I'll just have to live with what I have. 

• 5 months later...

Hi.

What you need to do is connect the camera with the USB cable and then turn it on. The camera will not appear as an external drive on your desktop. Generally, with a Mac, ApplePhoto launches. When this happens just quite the application, don't let it do the importing for you as it places all your photographs in a sealed package which can only be accessed by launching the application. instead, the application you need is in the applications folder, it's called ImageCapture.

Launch ImageCapture and you will see your camera listed on the top left corner.Click on the camera and it will list all the contents of the camera in the main window. At the bottom of the screen there is a small drop down panel which will allow you to direct the application to save to a particular folder, you can either pick something from the drop down menu or at the very bottom of the list, select 'other' and then designate where you want to save to, such as a new older on your desktop. That's what I do and then transfer to online storage and a portable drive. Apple, by default, will try to get you to use ApplePhoto or else save all to the 'pictures' folder. By saving to your own created folder it stops the possibility of duplicate names, which could happen if allowing your computer save to the 'pictures' by default.

Thanks DavidOC for your help. I had Nikon and Sony software,( when I had those cameras), that would import the photos to a folder, along with the date. I was looking for something like that. Now, I have to create a new folder, with a name or date, and import the photos to that folder. I thought there was software that would at least generate a folder by date and import to that. There is just additional steps that I have to manually input to have that happen. 

Image capture, an Apple Tool, in Mac OS from a very long time, so in High Sierra too, do this job perfectly also when the SD card is inserted into the Mac reader. But it only can import your selected images into the folder you chose.

A good soft to edit your images, like PhotoMechanic, can import you images with the metadata you want apply in the folder you choice or automatically in a new folder. 

On 11/28/2019 at 3:32 PM, kenjik said:

Thanks DavidOC for your help. I had Nikon and Sony software,( when I had those cameras), that would import the photos to a folder, along with the date. I was looking for something like that. Now, I have to create a new folder, with a name or date, and import the photos to that folder. I thought there was software that would at least generate a folder by date and import to that. There is just additional steps that I have to manually input to have that happen. 

As others have suggested ImageCapture will import your images for you, even when connected by cable to your camera. But it can do more, creating the folders by date, etc. as you wish. It just has to be configured the right way by configuring the app it itself uses, called AutoImporter. This link goes through the process for you (that feature has been available since Snow leopard -- and still is there in Catalina).

https://www.macworld.com/article/1145584/autoimport.html

For the shorter version: go to System/Library/Image Capture/Support/Application/ and run the AutoImporter.app, then set the preferences to make the named folders and subfolders as you wish.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to download a lot of images, I would highly recommend getting a copy of Photo Mechanic 6, very configurable and allows fast import from camera direct or from the SD card in a reader or from a folder.

I usually import images from the card in a reader, direct to Photo Mechanic 6, and export from there photos I want to keep into a named folder on an external drive. I edit in either Pictorial or Capture One or Exposure X5.