FF Lenses with adapters for GFX List

KarlP

Hi there.
I am looking at getting a GFXs or the possibly the GFX 100 when it arrives.
I am interested in if there is a compilation of FF lenses that does work (more or less) like a FF lens  but on the GFX sensor. Of course there will be more or less sharp lenses and some will be with AF and some will not, but lenses that is not vignetting (badly) and behaves in a usable way on the full GFX sensor.
A little bit like the mitagon, zeiss and samyang and rokinons on the X cameras.
I am today using 45 and 90 TSE lenses on Canon and was hoping to be able to use them on the GFX with an adapter but was wanted to be able to find more and other lenses that might be a suitable match.

Thanks

Edited by KarlP
Clarity in title

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve used about a dozen of my Canon lenses on the GFX50R with the TechArt adapter, including the TS 45. Although I haven’t done exhaustive testing, the initial results have been excellent with most of the L glass if you don’t mind the autofocus speed. My best results have been with the 85/1.2, 50/1.2, and the 70-200/2.8. Almost all have some vignetting of course but for most I can correct it in PS.

• 11 months later...

I've started using my old Minolta glass such as the 58 1.4 (no vignetting), and my 135mm 2.8 also with no vignetting on my 50R.  Are the lenses as exquisite as my GFX lenses?  No, but they are ultra light and lovely and fun to use.

• 3 weeks later...

Using M42 and Pentacon Six lens adapters from Hartblei, I have done a series of tests on the GFX 50S of lenses for 35mm analogue cameras (24×36mm) and a couple of medium format (6×6) lenses.

The Carl Zeiss 20mm f/2.8 Flektogon might just about cover 65mm × 24mm at f/11 (the Hasselblad XPAN format) - disappointing, but to be expected.  It is not usable for the full sensor.

The old 25mm Zeiss Flektogon does not cover the format - not surprising.  This lens ceased production in 1967.

The 28mm Schneider-Kreuznach Super Angulon shift lens does cover the format (unshifted - shifts not tested) - so an excellent wide-angle lens for the GFX50S!

The 35mm Schneider-Kreuznach Curtagon possibly covers 65mm × 24mm at f/11 - a surprising disappointment - far too much vignetting
The 35mm f/2.4 Carl Zeiss Flektogon does cover the format, with minor correction for vignetting - quite good!

The 35mm Arax Tilt/Shift lens does cover the format as indeed it should, being a shift lens, but really only from f/8 with considerable fall-off in light intensity at wider apertures - disappointing

The 50mm Zeiss Pancolar possibly covers the format at f/8 and f/11 but there is barrel distortion. (I took pictures of a large  rick wall!)

The Pentacon Six 50mm Medium Format Carl Zeiss Flektogon should be much better - but not yet tested.

The 80mm f/1.8 Carl Zeiss Pancolar (for 24×36) possibly covers the format with vignetting correction in the corners, but a Medium Format 80mm lens will be better.

I have an 80mm Planar (Medium Format) from West German Zeiss in a Pentacon Six mount.  It is very good from f/8 and would probably be very good at wider apertures by taking more time when focussing

The 120mm Vega 28B (Russian B ) in Pentacon Six/Kiev 60 mount is  very good and might become my default lens for the time being.

I have also tested some more 35mm-format ("full frame") lenses, all of which had good coverage: a Carl Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 Sonnar lens, a Pentacon 200mm f/4 lens and a 135mm Zeiss f/3.5 Sonnar lens - the best of the lot!  Could be a great portrait lens on this camera, and it is small and light-weight.

I hope to be able to test more lenses next week, but most of them are for analogue 6×6 cameras, so coverage should not be a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/22/2020 at 8:18 PM, Trevor R said:

The Pentacon Six 50 mm medium format Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon should be much better - but not yet tested.

Actually, this thread is only about full format, the medium format lenses for the 6 × 6 format don't have to be tested first, they all work without any vignetting and that's no surprise, they were built for it and their light circle is large enough.

I just recently pulled the trigger on a used GFX100...and till I can save up, will need to use adapted lenses.

I got the Fotodiox "smart" adapter, hoping to use some of my Canon EF L lenses...I'm really hoping the 100L macro works well with this.

I also have some Hasselblad MF lenses so, I'm trying the new Hasselblad V Lens to Fujifilm G mount (GFX) T CINE Adapter....to see how well the Hassy 50, 80 and 150 lenses work on the GFX.

I"m really hoping those work well, as that they actually have a larger image circle than the GFX100 sensor and the adapter will actually give me about 1 more stop of light on each one.

While researching, I was puzzled to find that most lens manufacturers' specs do NOT include image circle....wish they did, as that it would make the hunt for adaptable lenses much easier.

cayenne 

• 1 year later...