Rockwell blasts XT 10

Fred4hp

I guess Ken "calls it like he sees it" and shows no love for Fuji cameras. He called the XT 10 "an albatross" in his comparison to the Sony RX he reviewed today. He also stated that one should just get "a real DSLR" instead of the Fujis if interchangeable lens are important. But he does give Fuji lenses good reviews on his site and his separate reviews of the fixed lens Fujis are complementary. Where is my bag of salt Ken?

Ken Rockwell always does this. His reviews of a single product are usually positive but as soon as he compares two different products one of them suddenly becomes total crap. As soon as X-T10 review will come out you'll see it's not that bad. He also called not the X-T10 an albatross but X-T10+16-55/2.8 combination which could be really large and heavy especially when compared to 4 times smaller sensor point and shoot. BTW the reason he compared this two was he had these with him. KR would have hard times if he took his favorite 5D3+50/1.2 combination with RX100M4. Thus don't take this little article seriously. Just wait for separate X-T10 and 16-55 reviews.

The second problem is his quite unique style of photography. Some things that are important for him can cause a great camera to get a negative recommendations while it can still be the best camera for others. KR's reviews are not standard reviews but the usability of the gear for his special purposes. Once you get this you can get some really useful information from his articles. You just shouldn't take close every single word he writes. Unfortunately as Fuji interchangeable system doesn't meet his requirements his reviews are quite dry. Try to compare it to X100 series articles and you get what I mean.

That's one of the reasons I don't get reviews on gear from only a single sources, I try to get as much possible from pretty much every single corners and niches I can find.

Globally it allows me to build a better idea of what the camera/lens/gear is capable of and also why for some, that super great feature is actually a downside or vice versa.

I agree with Dis. Rockwell doesn't seem to read his previous reviews. He was pretty complimentary of the XT1 in his posted review, How that fits with his statement s in this most recent review suggests that we read him with entertainment in mind. I also don't rely on one review before deciding about what gear to purchase. Kevin Raber at the Luminous Landscape is very favorably impressed with the Fuji XT1 and many other reviews also rate it highly.

In overall, the reception of the X-T1 is pretty good, the few bad reviews I saw where those of the camera handling came into way.

When you are used to Canikon for several years, having a Fuji X-T1 in your hands feels alien. A colleague of mine was genuenly interested in the camera until he got it in his hands and fiddle with it for a while before handing it back to due to frustration with "Thanks but I still prefer the controls of my D800".

Which is quite understandable, the X-T1 does have a learning curve and it does take time for the muscle reflex to get acustomated.

When you are used to Canikon for several years, having a Fuji X-T1 in your hands feels alien. A colleague of mine was genuenly interested in the camera until he got it in his hands and fiddle with it for a while before handing it back to due to frustration with "Thanks but I still prefer the controls of my D800".

I agree with this, I reckon it's taken me about 6 months of daily use to feel more confident with my X-T1 than with my canon 6D. I hate using the 6D now as it just feels clunky and slow...

some off those "review guys" are attached to brands, as steve huff with olympus and leica, but they deny it, pretending to be angels.I prefer more honest people who says " I received this product from,,,", or "I am a fuji employer and...", or "oly has invited me for a meeting to introduce... (everything paid by olympus, ritght steve ?) "

• 3 weeks later...

To me it looks like Ken Rockwell mostly makes positive reviews. Within the review for product A he compares a detail with product B. Typically this details is much better on product A. The reader may understand that A in total is better than B even if this was never said anywhere.

Typically when you are searching the internet for a specific review you are valready interested in the product. If the reviewer can convince you that the product is good there is a chance that you are using one of the links on his site to buy it and the reviewer gets his commision. My feeling is that this is more or less true for all reviews in the internet. But what do I know.

Probably because Fuji would not pay him to give it a good review.

I am not certain Fuji actually need to pay anyone for a good review, their marketing campaign isn't as heavy as Canikon or Sony.

If something is good, people will know it. The X100 is a very good example, it wasn't really a known camera but suddenly it drew a lot of attention to it and part of the photohraphy world started paying attention to Fuji again. 

The rest is history.

Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography

Ken Rockwell's camera has similar settings to ours, except his are: P[erfect] Av[Awesome Priority Tv[Totally Awesome Priority] M[ajestic]

Ken Rockwell doesn't color correct. He adjusts your world to match his.

Sure, Ken Rockwell deletes a bad photo or two. Other people call these Pulitzers.

Ken Rockwell doesn't adjust his DOF, he changes space-time.

Circle of confusion? You might be confused. Ken Rockwell never is.

Ken Rockwell doesn't wait for the light when he shoots a landscape - the light waits for him.

Ken Rockwell never flips his camera in portrait position, he flips the earth

Ken Rockwell ordered an L-lens from Nikon, and got one.

Ken Rockwell is the only person to have photographed Jesus; unfortunately he ran out of film and had to use a piece of cloth instead.

When Ken Rockwell brackets a shot, the three versions of the photo win first place in three different categories

Before Nikon or Canon releases a camera they go to Ken and they ask him to test them, the best cameras get a Nikon sticker and the less good get a Canon sticker

Once Ken tested a camera, he said I cant even put Canon on this one,thats how Pentax was born

Rockwellian policy isn't doublethink - Ken doesn't even need to think once

Ken Rockwell doesn't use flash ever since the Nagasaki incident.

Only Ken Rockwell can take pictures of Ken Rockwell; everyone else would just get their film overexposed by the light of his genius

Ken Rockwell wanted something to distract the lesser photographers, and lo, there were ducks.

Ken Rockwell is the only one who can take self-portraits of you

Ken Rockwell's nudes were fully clothed at the time of exposure

Ken Rockwell once designed a zoom lens. You know it as the Hubble SpaceTelescope.

When Ken unpacks his CF card, it already has masterpieces on it.

Rockwell portraits are so lifelike, they have to pay taxes

On Ken Rockwell's desktop, the Trash Icon is really a link to National Geographic Magazine

Ken Rockwell spells point-and-shoot "h-a-s-s-e-l-b-l-a-d"

When Ken Rockwell went digital, National Geographic nearly went out of business because he was no longer phyically discarding photos

For every 10 shots that Ken Rockwell takes, 11 are keepers.

Ken Rockwell's digital files consist of 0's, 1's AND 2's.

Ken Rockwell never focus, everything moves into his DoF

Ken Rockwell's shots are so perfect, Adobe redesigned photoshop for him: all it consists of is a close button.

The term tripod was coined after his silhouette

Ken Rockwell never produces awful work, only work too advanced for the viewer

A certain braind of hig-end cameras was named after people noticed the quality was a lot "like a" rockwell

Ken Rockwell isn't the Chuck Norris of photography; Chuck Norris is the Ken Rockwell of martial arts.

Ken Rockwell never starts, he continues

From Ken's comparison to the X-T10:

Sure, at ISO 12,800 the Fuji has a little more detail, but who cares if it's not in perfect focus? The Sony has the edge on sharpness in real life because its small sensor uses shorter lenses (3x crop factor) which have much deeper depths of field. The Sony does a great job of making great pictures with the noisy data that comes off the sensor; I have no problem publishing its ISO 12,800 shots.

From his comparison to the X100T, literally the next thing on the page:

The Fuji X100T continues to reign as the world's best digital camera, period. It's a tougher, better made camera with a much larger sensor and a faster lens.

The Sony RX100 is a pocket camera with a small ("one inch," 3x crop factor) sensor and not as good in low light, while the X100T is a serious camera with a full-sized 1.5x cropped DSLR sensor with four times the sensor area of the Sony.

If there is anyone in this world that needs to be taken with a huge grain of salt, it's Ken Rockwell. His reviews are completely useless, and are only really good for a laugh when you're bored. It would be fine if he was just giving his opinion on things, but even then there's no point in reading his reviews seriously, because he contradicts himself all the time like he does here.

• 2 weeks later...

I never care about other people's reviews .. Everyone has different preferences and different style of shootings. Ken can say (and is entitled to) whatever he wants - hahaha doesnt change me from my xt-1 xt-10 and xpro-1 gear for my line of work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never care about other people's reviews .. Everyone has different preferences and different style of shootings. Ken can say (and is entitled to) whatever he wants - hahaha doesnt change me from my xt-1 xt-10 and xpro-1 gear for my line of work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk