X-T30 First Frame Number?

Neil

I just got a new Fuji X-T30 last week from B&H but I am suspicious it was an open box, since there were finger prints on the LCD that I'm pretty certain I didn't do when removing the camera from the bag.

When I put in a blank SD card to test it, the first exposure # was DSCF0246.  Which suggests to me the camera had 245 shots taken already, or less if it starts with 200 by default.

I checked the EXIF for the frame with an online site that claimed to count shutter actuations from a sample, and it said there had been 7 actuations before my first shot.  That could be factory tests, but it could just be inaccurate, and there's actually 245 shots taken before I got the camera.

Does anyone know what the first number would be?  Do they start at 0, 100, or somewhere else?  Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

While the card was blank, it wasn't newly formatted.  Is there any possibility it picked up the number from my X-T20 or X-T1 in a hidden area of the card?  I think my Nikons used to do that, but only if you had shots on the card.  In any case, that would be bad programming to set a camera to do that since most of us use multiple cameras.

This site says the shutter actuations before my first frame: https://www.shutteractuations.com/

Shows 7 before (maybe including) my first frame, and if I put in the 30 test shot I did, it correctly recognized that there were 37.  

But the first file number still suggests 245 shots before.  I've written to B&H to see what they think and what my options are.

ETA: I just looked in EXIFTool (via P.I.E) and it shows the count as 7 like the online tool.

Also: My camera did not come with the cover for the hot shoe, unlike my previous Fujis.  It also didn't come with the regular Fuji charger, but I presume the USB charger replaced that.

Edited by Neil

Well its certainly good practice to reformat the card for your new camera.

Did you check that the card was completely blank using a computer? 

I just tried the site in your link and it seems to pick up the expected Image Count therefore maybe 6 shots were taken before you got the camera.

My X-T30 had an image count of 1 for the first photo.

Yes, I always delete everything on the card after I load into my computer via an external reader.

BH will exchange it for me, but I'm still conflicted whether its worth the trouble.   They say the serial number shows as new in their db.

So still trying to sort evidence about other factors which might suggest it was returned:

Did yours come with the cover for the hotshoe?

What charger did yours include?

• 4 weeks later...