Manual aperture not changing

Hi

I recently picked up an XT20 with a 16-50mm f3.5-5.6 OIS II lens. Whilst getting used to the settings I set the camera into aperture priority and tried changing the aperture with the dial on the front of the body (no dial on this lens). This changes the f number displayed on screen however there is no apparent change in the live view or in images so I cannot tell if the aperture is being changed correctly. Would anyone be able to help with this issue?

Unless you're operating in full manual exposure mode -- manual shutter speed, manual aperture, and manual ISO -- you normally won't see any difference because the camera will automatically adjust the other settings to compensate. The Exposure Compensation dial can be used to lighten or darken the viewfinder and captured image.

If you are in full manual mode, you won't see any difference if you have the Preview Exp. in M Mode option turned off. Normally you would turn this off for flash photography but on for normal photography.

To satisfy yourself, just look in the front of the lens and half-press the shutter release. Note: if you aren't half-pressing the shutter release, the iris may be opening and closing or sitting at any setting that the camera considers useful for capturing the EVF/LCD viewfinder image, so don't pay any attention to that. You need to half-press.