How to keep display when using HSS?

Hi just wondering if anyone here had found the solution to this problem on their X-T2.

Have purchased a couple of speed lights (Nissin Di700A + their AIr Commander) which work well with the camera and which are easy to learn and use.

Issue is when I use HSS (high speed synch) to move the shutter speed up to 1/8000 which gives a completely black back ground (very useful for when the back ground is forgettable) but with the speed lights the subject (such as a portrait) is illuminated just to the extent required to get an interesting shot with the portrait illuminated and all else black. The camera and those speed lights work well together to achieve that result - just up the shutter speed past the 1/250 x point and adjust for the desired power on the lights.

Problem is with the shutter set to 1/8000 the viewfinder is as-black-as - ok on a tripod with a non moving subject. a bit more difficult when hand holding the camera or with a subject that moves.

I suspect deep within the menus lies the answer to this but the manual does not seem to cover it.

Anyone know how to overcome?

15 hours ago, arathorn357 said:

Hi just wondering if anyone here had found the solution to this problem on their X-T2.

Have purchased a couple of speed lights (Nissin Di700A + their AIr Commander) which work well with the camera and which are easy to learn and use.

Issue is when I use HSS (high speed synch) to move the shutter speed up to 1/8000 which gives a completely black back ground (very useful for when the back ground is forgettable) but with the speed lights the subject (such as a portrait) is illuminated just to the extent required to get an interesting shot with the portrait illuminated and all else black. The camera and those speed lights work well together to achieve that result - just up the shutter speed past the 1/250 x point and adjust for the desired power on the lights.

Problem is with the shutter set to 1/8000 the viewfinder is as-black-as - ok on a tripod with a non moving subject. a bit more difficult when hand holding the camera or with a subject that moves.

I suspect deep within the menus lies the answer to this but the manual does not seem to cover it.

Anyone know how to overcome?

Page 217. 

I seldom use AE-L so I mapped it to that button. 

thanks George - that page gives the solution to my problem.

In case anyone else has this problem, the menu sequence is Set Up / Screen setup / Preview Exp / WB in manual mode / Off.

Would have been useful in the manual to cross link that menu sequence to where they talk about HSS or using a really dark filter (like an IR) and preventing losing your view before the shot.

17 hours ago, arathorn357 said:

thanks George - that page gives the solution to my problem.

In case anyone else has this problem, the menu sequence is Set Up / Screen setup / Preview Exp / WB in manual mode / Off.

Would have been useful in the manual to cross link that menu sequence to where they talk about HSS or using a really dark filter (like an IR) and preventing losing your view before the shot.

You are welcome. It is not HSS specific, really. This is an important difference between mirrorless and DSLR - you can see the exposure (and WB and film emulation) before the shot, depending on your settings. If is too dark (the exposure will be altered by a flash or you do a long exposure), you can switch "Preview Exposure" off to be able to compose. I use it often so I mapped it to a button as I said above so I do not have to go into the menu to switch it. The paragraph in the manual is rather brief. NB there are three settings that are cycled if you map them to a button:  Preview Exposure and White Balance - Preview White Balance only - Off (Preview neither Exposure nor WB).