In need for speed (lite)

When will fuji provide a decent hss sync capable speed lite?

The main drawback of fuji sistem is the lack of a decent flash suitable for social events.

This absence and the slow sync speed of 180 its a pain.

Fuji should manage to use the electronic shutter in combination with a speed lite to achieve faster sync speeds.

when these issues are solved I will be the happy seller of canon gear.

I enjoy the size and weight (or lack of) on my Fujifilm gear, but the AF system and lack of a quality flash system is why the 5D Mark III will remain with me for the foreseable future.  I don't think I would have investing in the X-T1 has I not ended up with sever tendonitis on my right hand and elbow.  The X100 would have been fine, but I did feel the system was worth investing in as a second system.  Looking forward to what future models bring while I collect some lenses for the system.  I imagine Fujifilm is listening and a flash system may come along with faster sync speeds and HSS.  I have read that the Nissin i40 can be forced to do HSS, but I want a wireless RF system... I am spoiled with the 600-EX-RT's in the canon world.  I also use a lot of cheap Yongnuo YN560-III's (and those work fine with the Fuji for what they do).

I will say that I recently have been having a lot of fun with the excellent (if not exactly professional) Yongnuo IV's. 

These guys will only set you back about $70 each, so you can grab three fo them and a transmitter for less than you would pay for a mid level Nikon speed light. The trigger balances nicely on my X-E2's diminutive frame and lets me set the power and zoom of each light remotely from my camera. The main thing to keep in mind with these flashes is that if you fire them on full power over and over again, they probably aren't going to last very long.  That said, if you just want to tool around a bit with off camera flash while you wait on Fuji to put out their own professional grade (and likely much more expensive) line, these guys are a great bet.

Here's a link explaining how they work:

http://www.davidpartington.com/m43/2015/01/03/yongnuo-yn560-iv-speedlite-review/

Against the likes of all these Chinese flash companies, I am not even sure its worth Fuji's time to even bother with competing in the flash market. 

What can they offer that they Chinese can't copy and make even better and cheaper?   When was the last time we saw a new flash model from Nikon or Canon.  Ask yourself why that is. 

I think that if there is one place that Fuji can add a lot of value it would be with:

1. A solid off Camera TTL ecosystem

2. Flashes that mimic the Old School Analog knobs and levers that have made their cameras so popular.

You kind of see this with the excellent (but very limited for the price EF-X20

The EF-X20 looks right at home on top of my X-E2 and is a joy to set. I'd prefer that it have a bit more power and be able to pivot etc, but The flash itself is lot's of fun to use on and off camera. It's tiny size also let's me get it into places other flashes won't go. If there's one thing I hate about the Nikon flashes (or my newly acquired fleet of Chinese knock-offs) its figuring out how to use them. With the Fuji flash... there isn't any learning curve. I think a two dial full sized flash designed to be used off camera would be very appealing for some... especially with a good remote transmitter and receivers built into the flashes. 

You can't really cut down on the size of flashes very much, which negates the advantage of a mirrorless system (Side note, a full size flash looks ridiculous on my X-E2). But not having to lug around pocket wizards would be super nice and fit with the mirrorless philosophy.

Here's a fun little shot I took withy my Tiny EF-X20: 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92930057@N07/shares/g6m3j3

To see how a smaller fully featured flash looks on the X-T1 just check out the Nissin I-40. Personally I haven't missed HSS flash since moving to fuji - I find all of my flash use is at events in low light and my shutter speed is always slower than 180 anyway.

I find the issue with Fuji and flash is more the need to change my screen display settings away from WYSIWYG when shooting with flash. It's a silly thing but I sure wish I had an extra Fn button to assign to it.