XT3 not responding. Cannot turn on.

I am in the middle of  a photo safari with a camera group. Carrying 5 Fuji lenses and other gear.Was trying to upgrade  body software to v3.0 but software seemed not to be responding according to camera. After about 15 mins of no activity – tried to go back and start installation again. Could not do so as there was no indication as to how to do this. Eventually turned off camera, changed battery. Now camera will not show anything at all. No  image/message whatsoever on screen or viewfinder. Completely dead.

Used fully charged batteries with new firmware on a freshly formatted SD card.

Is there any way to wake up/restart the camera? This is a disaster as far as my trip is concerned but I still have a few days left if the camera can be restored to any kind of working order.

Edited by BrianH

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like there is no simple fix.

When the camera went dead on my trip I contacted Fuji immediately and asked for advice as to how to restart. The initial suggestions were to try different batteries and cleaning contacts. This didn't work so the only next step was to send the camera for repair on my return to Canada.

The result is in this email message from Fuji after about 10 days  ....   "Hi Brian, the camera has been repaired. We replaced the main board and updated the firmware". 

I have it back and it is working. Repair done under warranty - no charge.

Should clarify that I was quite familiar with the X camera firmware update process since I had traded in an XT2 for the XT3 and had gone through several upgrades on the former. For that reason, the possibility of an upgrade failure never crossed my mind. There are almost 300 views of my post - no replies until ArtisticiQ with the same problem! With this level of interest I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem as well?

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Had a random lockup issue where the camera would stop responding altogether until I popped the battery out and put it back in after the 3.0 firmware update.  Fuji replaced my mainboard as well.  Its back now and I updated it to 3.2 without issues.  It was updating via the app when it started having the problem. Now I update it loading the firmware on a memory card and installing it that way.  I don't trust the app to do it and not encounter an issue.

Hi,

I'm having the same issue.. I bought this in October of 2018 and has worked fine up until now. Now it's dead. Very dead. I recharged the batteries. Still nothing. Has anyone come up with a simple fix for this yet?

I'd rather not have to send it to Fuji for repair - I'm not even sure if it would be under warranty. Pretty disappointed in spending that kind of money for something that goes dead after a year and a half...

Looks like I'll be going back to Canon unless Fuji repairs this for free.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had the same issue , now on a shoot with xt3 latest firmware. I just finished an interview, turned camera off and then wanted one more shot, turned camera on and nothing (wouldn't start up). thought it must be battery, but five good batteries later still won't start up, absolutely no reason for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 7:01 PM, Michael Martin said:

Hi,

Pretty disappointed in spending that kind of money for something that goes dead after a year and a half...

If you live in the EU, you should have at least 2 years of warranty: https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/dealing-with-customers/consumer-contracts-guarantees/consumer-guarantees/index_en.htm

And if you do not, what's wrong with calling Fujifilm and asking them? You can always try and see what answer you get before giving up your camera.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just had the same issue with my X-T30. I updated the firmware via the Fujifilm Cam Remote app and it said that the update has completed. When I looked at my camera, it's turned itself off, so I proceeded with turning it off via the switch. When I turned it on, it's no longer working. It's dead. I tried replacing the battery with a fully-charged one but to no avail.

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem with my xt-3, it suddenly turned off while transferring a video to my laptop using a type c cable ,  it's dead now i tried everything with no luck, i think the Motherboard is fried, my camera is not under warranty

• 7 months later...

Hi,

This has happened to my XT-3 now.  Worked fine a week ago then placed in a camera bag with a good battery.  Picked it up yesterday and it is a paper weight.  Tried swapping out the battery, the cards and the lens all to no avail. Cleaned the contacts ( camera and battery ) and checked the spring in the contacts. Camera still completely dead.  Connected it via SUB-C to a computer whilst watching the USB log file and nothing / unresponsive.  It is not the viewfinder selection setting.  It appears to be a complete failure  of the camera to boot or respond in any way. 

No warranty on the camera now.  Am waiting for a reply to an email to fuji UK.

Most disappointing.

Cheers,

F

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 12:16 PM, Francesco said:

Hi,

This has happened to my XT-3 now.  Worked fine a week ago then placed in a camera bag with a good battery.  Picked it up yesterday and it is a paper weight.  Tried swapping out the battery, the cards and the lens all to no avail. Cleaned the contacts ( camera and battery ) and checked the spring in the contacts. Camera still completely dead.  Connected it via SUB-C to a computer whilst watching the USB log file and nothing / unresponsive.  It is not the viewfinder selection setting.  It appears to be a complete failure  of the camera to boot or respond in any way. 

No warranty on the camera now.  Am waiting for a reply to an email to fuji UK.

Most disappointing.

Cheers,

F

Hi,

any news?

Append to me yesterday…

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

XT-3 must have some awful hardware design weakness! It has just happened to me as well. It was fully functional for 2.5years and then suddenly stopped working overnight. I had thought it would be the battery, but it wasn't the case. Unfortunately the above YouTube solution didn't worked in my case.

I sent the camera to FujiFilm official service and got reply that motherboard needs to be replaced... for 520,- Euro because it is not in warranty period any more.

Really disappointing!  I thought FujiFilm would be a company focused on reliability, but it seems they produce just an ordinary consumer electronics, which should survive two years and that's it.

Edited by Kryspin

• 4 months later...

After a month of not being used I took out my camera, inserted a freshly charged battery and it will not power on. I tried all of the tricks in the post and still nothing. Camera was purchased new from an authorized retailer in November 2021. To say my blood pressure is rising would be an understatement. The camera wouldn't have 1000 actuations.