X-T2 AF-C suggestions for moto race?

Hello,

I have been shooting various sport events since 2003 until 2014 on Canon. Then quit action photography and switched to Fuji for more calm photography. Switching was one of the best decisions I've made! That quality of color and sharpness - it still surprises and makes me happy every day! 

I've been asked to shoot some motorcycle races this season, so googling daily what are the best techniques for Fuji X-T2 because they dramatically differ from Canon. I would like to get some suggestions from You. So here are a couple of questions:

1. Motorcycle straight on at high speed -  which AF Mode  - Single point, Zone or Wide/Tracking is more reliable?  What size of Single point or Zone? Best custom setting for it?

2. Panning - same or different AF Mode is best? Best custom setting?

If it's important what gear I plan to use - it is X-T2 + Battery Grip, 55-200mm, 90mm f/2, 35mm f/2, Samyang 12mm f/2 and 8mm Fisheye.

Thank You all in advance!

Audrius

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2019 at 10:13 AM, AudriusZ said:

Hello,

I have been shooting various sport events since 2003 until 2014 on Canon. Then quit action photography and switched to Fuji for more calm photography. Switching was one of the best decisions I've made! That quality of color and sharpness - it still surprises and makes me happy every day! 

I've been asked to shoot some motorcycle races this season, so googling daily what are the best techniques for Fuji X-T2 because they dramatically differ from Canon. I would like to get some suggestions from You. So here are a couple of questions:

1. Motorcycle straight on at high speed -  which AF Mode  - Single point, Zone or Wide/Tracking is more reliable?  What size of Single point or Zone? Best custom setting for it?

2. Panning - same or different AF Mode is best? Best custom setting?

If it's important what gear I plan to use - it is X-T2 + Battery Grip, 55-200mm, 90mm f/2, 35mm f/2, Samyang 12mm f/2 and 8mm Fisheye.

Thank You all in advance!

Audrius

the zone mode seems to perform better for moto race ,according to what i heard from others .i hope this helps . have a nice day !

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Skeusen
      Question from a newbie with a used X-T2 and aging eyesight. The YouTube gurus seem inconsistent with regard to whether or not the 3,690,000 dot EVF on the X-T3 is a noticable improvement over the 2,360,000 dot one in the X-T2. It's not the only reason to upgrade of course, but I'm looking for any justification I can find! Does anyone with experience of both care to opine on the relative merits of the two EVFs?

• By FenFotos
      This is the scene on Memorial Day 2020. Masks, quiet, birds singing.... Few people on what is ordinarily a day mobbed with tourists and locals taking to our great park. With music, vendors, artists, bikers, joggers, horses & buggies, and a pond filled with rowboats. Now: this. This image with X-T2, 18-55mm Fuji Lens, Acros-R film emulation.
    • Nice. Which one was taken with X100F?
    • Father and Sons in Yellow Shirts - Dhaka, Bangladesh Fujifilm X-T3 - XF18-55mm f2.8-4 R LM OIS - Fujifilm Classic Negative Color Film Sim  
    • I can confirm this. My X100V had the same as do some of my other XF WR lenses. The fact that some lenses do and others don't (same lens) leads me to believe that Fuji has quite wide production tolerances. Over the past 7 years I've had (partly still have) 13 different XF lenses. 4 of them needed replacement due to production failures (loose aperture or focus rings, crooked mount...). Though I really like Fuji cameras, to me that is a bit too often...
    • It's quite a difference. As a basis the Leica Q2 already has a very good 47Mp full-frame sensor paired with one of the best lenses ever made (a 28mm Summilux). By leaving out the color array filter on the sensor and optimizing the sensor lenses for monochrome images, you get an incredibly sharp and contrast rich monochrome image. Without the color array filter you also boost the low light performance and expand the dynamic range of the sensor by approx. 2 stops. In the meanwhile, I couldn't resist and purchased a Q2 Monochrome. I'm not disappointed. Though my X-Pro produces very nice Acros files, the Q2 Monochrome is a different league (also in price to be fair). I usually shoot monochrome for my personal work, but to be able to shoot at ISO25000 and have files as clean as an X-Pro at ISO1600 is amazing. At normal ISO levels, the level of detail and the tonality of the Q2 files is stunning. Both for the jpegs out-of-camera and the DNG raw files via Capture One.
    • I use Blender, it's an open source program, free to use and many good tutorials on YouTube. The program is also used by professional moviemakers. It does the same or more as the apps recommended above. link to Blender Edit: Davinci Resolve is another free video editor worth trying.