Seeking advice on starting out my Fuji X kit

Hi guys,

I've been using a Canon 80D to shoot some weekend family photos for a year. My lens choices are the 16-35 f2.8 III and 85 f1.4 IS. While I am totally satisfied with the image quality of these two fantastic lenses, I'm tired of carrying these heavy gears around.

Eventually, I decide to switch from Canon to Fujifilm. I've tried the X-T3 and X-T30 in store. While weight is a concern for me, handling of the X-T3 just feels better for me. So I'm quite sure about getting the X-T3 body.

I like the 50mm focal length. For most of the time when I'm shooting with my Canon 16-35 I zoom all the way to end. Logically, I lean towards the Fuji 35f1.4 and 35f2. After reading tons of reviews, it seems to me more X users would pick the f1.4 over the f2. The f1.4 is a comparatively older lens with louder motor noise and slower focusing speed (though I've learnt that X-T3 body could significantly improve its focusing speed). Normally, I always choose a more recently developed lens for a belief that there must be some up-to-date refinement. The 35f2's quiet motor and fast focusing seem to me more sensible in 2019 standard. Both f1.4 and f2 is sharp enough and their difference in weight is neglectable to me. So sharpness and weight are not my concern. One thing that keeps pulling me back to the f1.4 is its coloring. Based on many online comparisons between the photos taken by the f1.4 and f2, I subjectively think that the f1.4 brings out more pleasing color. It has that "Japanese" tone that I'm looking for. The f2 seems to produce more clarity which is not a bad thing certainly.

I also like the 85mm to 135mm focal length for portrait. I know they are actually quite different in terms of usage but let's assume that I'm fine with both choices. Both are great sharp lenses that receive overwhelmingly positive comment. However, the complaint about the loose aperture ring of the 56f1.2 bothers me. I could imagine that I would get annoyed by accidentaly changing the aperture when shooting. The 90f2 is nearly perfect to me but the 56f1.2 has the easier-to-use focal length. 

Now the struggle is between 1) 35f1.4 + 56f1.2 and 2) 35f2 + 90f2. Favourable color VS Comparatively less favorable color but faster focusing and firmer aperture rings.

Hope you guys could give me some advice.

Thank you very much.

Edited by lightlightlight

• 1 month later...

My two-cents from experience:

I had the 56 1.2.  It sucked.  I was shooting three events back to back in a beautifully lit church.  Modern, windows down the side, skylights, gorgeous day.  The 56 1.2 refused to focus correctly if at all and when it did it took forever.

This was on a Sunday.  I sent it back on Monday and then found a 60mm 2.4 Macro on sale new and bought it.  Haven't looked back.  I used the 56 1.2 on my X-T2 BTW.  

The 35 1.4 I purchased with my original X-E1 waaaay back in 2012.  I LOVE that lens and there is no way I'll ever part with it.  However, for family, kids for me it's a no-go.  It does take a while to focus.  I use it on my x-T2, x-T1 and my X-h1.  I shoot my four grandkids aged 8 months, 2 years, 5 years, and 8. The 35 1.4, though you'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers, sucks for moving kids.  Period.

For the kids, I use my 16-55 and my 50-140 2.8's.  I set my cameras to C on the front, then go into the menu and set them up for a 3 x 3 zone and shoot away.  You can try that with the 35 1.4, but I don't know how it'll work.  I've used the 23 1.4 and my 16 1.4 for the kids and they both work marvelously.

Hope that helps.  Any questions, let us know.