Two rookie questions

egray

I just bought a used XT2 and I love it. There are just two things I wanted to be sure were normal.

If by mistake I leave lens cap on and fire the shutter in fully automatic, the shutter will open for a very long time, a little over 30 seconds and then take a very long time to process. I feel sorry for it, trying to expose pitch black, but I thought maybe it would be "smart" enough to know a mistake when it sees it.

Also, if I'm in very low light and move from review (the play button), to camera mode, it starts off very bright and yellow (street lights) before it adjusts to the low light. Is this too, completely normal?

It's a wonderful camera though. Buying used is always a bit of a worry.

Both entirely normal. In the first case, the camera is taking a long exposure because you've got the lens cap on, and then (because you've got long exposure noise reduction activated) it is effectively taking that shot again to identify the noise. The second shot then gets "subtracted" from the first. You can deactivate long exposure noise reduction and only turn it on when you actually need it; then your accidental exposures won't take so long! 

Your second point also sounds quite normal; the electronics are just readjusting from displaying a played-back image to displaying a live sensor view. 

The X-T2 is a great camera, and I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.