XT1 EVF Lag in Low Light

I know most of you think the EVF doesn't lag in low light. And for the most part I agree, the EVFD gets more noisy but the refresh rate still high.

But I shoot with a flash in low light, so I turn my exposure preview off. So try this on your XT1s and see if you get the same lag I get, set the lens to f8, go somewhere relatively low light, and then half press the shutter... Can you see the lag?

The only way for me to get rid of the lag is just to mash the shutter and not do the half press. I don't like shooting like this because it feels like I get a slight shutter lag, compared to half pressing the shutter and waiting for the right moment (I use AFC with AF button set to AF and the shutter release set to exposure metering).

I know most of you think the EVF doesn't lag in low light. And for the most part I agree, the EVFD gets more noisy but the refresh rate still high.

But I shoot with a flash in low light, so I turn my exposure preview off. So try this on your XT1s and see if you get the same lag I get, set the lens to f8, go somewhere relatively low light, and then half press the shutter... Can you see the lag?

The only way for me to get rid of the lag is just to mash the shutter and not do the half press. I don't like shooting like this because it feels like I get a slight shutter lag, compared to half pressing the shutter and waiting for the right moment (I use AFC with AF button set to AF and the shutter release set to exposure metering).

This happens because when you half press you will also get a DOF preview of your image. 

When you half press, the aperture blades will close down to your chosen aperture (compared to being wide open when not half pressing).

There's hardly any light hitting the sensor so the EVF cant maintain its refresh rate

This happens because when you half press you will also get a DOF preview of your image.

When you half press, the aperture blades will close down to your chosen aperture (compared to being wide open when not half pressing).

There's hardly any light hitting the sensor so the EVF cant maintain its refresh rate

Wow. I saw this kind of lag on e2, and sometimes on x-t10 while testing.

Is it possible to turn off dof preview? On my sony a77 there is no this kind of lag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really have to question why anybody would be trying to shoot at f/8 in 'low light'. Maybe my definition of 'low light' is different to yours, but for me, 'low light' means ISO 3200-6400, f/2 (or faster) and 1/125th is still underexposing by more than a stop.

Yes, the aperture stopping down to f/8 will reduce the light coming into the camera dramatically and induce some EVF lag, but if you're in that dark a space with that small an aperture, I wonder what on earth it is you're trying to photograph.

I really have to question why anybody would be trying to shoot at f/8 in 'low light'. Maybe my definition of 'low light' is different to yours, but for me, 'low light' means ISO 3200-6400, f/2 (or faster) and 1/125th is still underexposing by more than a stop.

Yes, the aperture stopping down to f/8 will reduce the light coming into the camera dramatically and induce some EVF lag, but if you're in that dark a space with that small an aperture, I wonder what on earth it is you're trying to photograph.

I guess he wants greater DOF. That's quite often situation for events shooting.

Well duh. But f/8 is a helluva thing indoors. I do events in minimal light—the settings I listed before are very common for me to use and I still end up pushing the files half a stop or so in post—and if I'm looking to get a whole room reasonably in focus, we're probably talking about f/3.2-4 on a 28mm lens or wider. In fact I'm often left cursing how large the depth of field is, even at f/2.8, on some of the wider lenses to get a whole room in shot. There's a reason why the 14mm never needs to be stopped down.

I'm not saying it's wrong/impossible/whatever, I'm just trying to get my head around the concept of a 'low light' situation which calls for such an aperture.

Your settings are really common for indoor ambient light. Adding a flash will make it possible to shoot @ f/8. With 56mm that's quite reasonable aperture to get all in focus. I like ambient light more too but that doesn't mean one won't like to shoot with flash and large DOF.