FUJIFILM CONFIRMS: New Firmware for Fuji X-E2 (at the end of this year).

did they mention something about the features it will bring?

No they did't....

I suppose that the new FW will be released with the x-pro2/x-70, probably within this month,

I don't know if the hardware of the XE-2 can support the AF improvements of the XT-1 in terms of AF speed, anyway...we need to wait some days 

Thanks,

Felice

I theory there shouldn’t be anything preventing upgrading the X-E2, with the same sensor and processor, to the same level.

Quote Homer Simpson: "In theory also comunism works" ;)

I'm afraid the X-E2 Firmware will not bring it to the same level of the X-E2s. And yet Fuji could, if they want

In theory it should be easy to hack X-E2s firmware to work on X-E2 :-)

I have been thinking of this too. Not that I have the ability to modify the software but simply applying logic to facts.

If memory serves me right, someone did some software adaptations in the recent past which made possible a firmware upgrade to be used on a Fuji camera for which it wasn’t intended to.

I think that I vaguely remember this involving the X100T and the X100S, the hack brought some characteristics, like “ classic chrome” to the S by means of confusing the firmware to make it think that it was being installed on a T while you were installing it on a S.

Now, unless there is some hardware thing which makes it impossible ( and I sort of doubt it) we will be pretty much in the same situation here.

Since, at least for the time being, the X-E2S seems to be a camera almost identical to the predecessor, the software limitation appears to be a deliberate exclusion of the previous model for pure commercial reasons.

I hate to say, I told you so, but when this whole saga of the X-E2 started I’ve been saying that Fuji would have found necessary, in order to protect their new models, to halt or slow down the upgrade of the older ones, coûte que coûte, even the seriously disappointing of all the people who bought the X-E2 and paying a premium compared to a much cheaper X-T10 which is stil, at least for now, the most advanced of them all, since, it has some things that not even the X-T1 has ( whether the presets are wanted, desirable or not is not the point that I am making...so don’t pick on this saying that pro photographer don’t need presets)

Of course we will only know for sure once the “ new” camera  arrives but, for the time being it looks like this is the case. The new camera might just be the old camera in disguise. It will offer a paid upgrade greater than the kaizen will give for free to the older model. If there are no physical impairments, someone sooner or later, will hack the firmware of the new camera (if not immediately at the first upgrade) and will enable the older model to match the “ newer” one.

On a side note.

IF..... a big IF......... this is what Fuji is doing they have to realize that this will be met by bad feelings which will be created amongst the community of X-E2 buyers, and all that Kaizen rhetoric will certainly lose some of its shine.

This is, with the immortal words of the late Yogi Berra :” Deja vu all over again!” 

http://www.fujirumors.com/open-letter-to-fujifilm-about-the-kaizen-light-the-x100s-and-the-david-hobby-firmware-with-classic-chrome/

Dear Fujifilm

Today I write you in the name of (probably) many X-shooters following FujiRumors, and especially those who own an X100S and would like a new firmware update. But first let me say this:

THE KAIZEN HISTORY

(or why we love Fuji)

When it comes to firmware udpates, we X-shooters are probably complaining at a level all other camera brand owners frankly envy us (and I know it from the guys at 43rumors, SonyAlphaRumors and CanonWatch in our regular meetings, that they are jealous about how Fujifilm listens to its customers and delivers amazing firmware updates).

Over the years you did an amazing job in keeping our cameras up to date with the latest features. That’s something no other brand offered with such a consistency and dedication (huge X100 update after 3 years, X-PRO1/E1 focus peaking, X-E2 EVF frame rate like X-T1, X-T1 Electronic Shutter… and there would be A LOT MORE to put into this list.)

So, Fujifilm, I don’t say it for captatio benevolentiae, but I really Thank You for all the effort you’ve put into all those new firmware updates.

THE KAIZEN LIGHT

(or why updating older X-cameras with New Features is NOT Good)

It is also clear to me that, with the rapidly growing number of X-cameras, the costs to keep them all updated with the latest new features would be unsustainable, unless you cut your resources destined to the development of new camera technology and redirect them to update the XQ1, X-A1, X-M1, X100, XF1, X-E1, X-PRO1, X20 and all the other X-series cameras with new features.

But given how fiercely contested the CSC market is, it’s wise to put most of your R&D into new camera technology for the Fujifilm X-PRO2, rather than spend your time, money and manpower in figuring out how to bring the electronic shutter on the X-M1.

Therefore I personally understand if you start to look forward and (apart bug fixes) stop introducing new firmware features to older cameras and focus on FW-updates for newer and successful ones… let’s call it a Kaizen Light approach .

THE DAVID HOBBY FIRMWARE

(or why you should update the X100S)

That being said, there is one thing I really do not get, and it’s about a firmware for the X100S… a pretty successful X-camera that would still deserve a bit of Kaizen love.

Here is the thing: a new X100S firmware already exists and it was used by David Hobby to test Classic Chrome on his X100S. Hobby himself said: “I have played with the new Classic Chrome film simulation on an X100S that had been altered to include it.”

So I think it should not be that difficult anymore to release a firmware update that allows all X100S shooters to add this new film simulation to their camera… just as you did with the X-E2 and with David Hobby’s X100S.

I know the X100T is fresh on the market and you don’t want to endanger its sales. But the X100T offers so many other improvements over the X100S (30 improvements listed in Rico’s X100T first look, starting from the ERF & WiFi), that a simple Classic Chrome update would for sure not make the X100T sales collapse, since there would be still 29 improvements left… or 28, if you’d add to the firmware also the electronic shutter or the intervalometer .

So, dear Fujfilm, it would be really great if you could make the “David Hobby-Firmware” available for download.

THE KAIZEN FUTURE

(or how you could possibly still update also older cameras)

And what about this: maybe you could work on a huge X100S firmware update (with Classic Chrome, Intervalometer, Customizable Quick Menu, Electronic Shutter, more reliable Battery Level Indicator, PDAF support in Instant-AF, Spot Metering AF frame coupling etc.), and make us pay a few bucks for the work? Please think about it. I’ll add a poll about it down below.

So, thank you Fujifilm for (hopefully) reading this letter. If you have any statement or reply to make on it, please don’t hesitate to contact me at fujirumor [at] gmail [dot] com. I’d be happy to post your answer here on FujiRumors.

Regards

Patrick_zpse517a3cc.png

I bought an X-E2 as an upgrade from the X-E1 in the summer because of the extra features that it already had, but knowing that an X-E2 firmware update was coming soon(ish). I am looking forward to seeing what improvements the X-E2 gets, but it will still be the camera that I chose to purchase back in the summer.

Ultimately, the X-E2 is already doing everything that I want it to do but any extras that I pick up through this firmware update will be a bonus and will be much better than anything that was ever improved in any of my Nikon DLSRs through a firmware update.

I am sure that everyone is correct and that there will be a backlash from disgruntled X-E2 owners when the X-E2s is announced and has more features than the updated X-E2 but it is important to see this from Fuji's perspective - they have to make money to survive and (to my eyes) they are trying to look after as many of their existing users as they can within that.

To try to put this in perspective, I am also a member of one of the Nikon forums, where the announcement of the D500 has left many feeling very unhappy because they have recently paid out for D7200's believing that Nikon were never going to produce a true D300s replacement - having only just lost money on D7100's which had inadequate buffering for the required frame rate.

Andy

the Fuji perspective is clear but there is a difference in selling the Kaizen as a plus and then doing this sneaky trick after talking of their dedication to customers.

Again, I am sure that this was a pickle of their own creation when they decided to introduce the X-T10 at a lower price than the X-E2 had been and then dragging their feet with any update.

The top cover, for whatever reason, is different and unique to x-e2s and no photos have yet been made available of X-E2s's back or control interfaces so there are still unanswered questions as to how much, if anything, has actually changed and is or is not practical to address via firmware.

I bought an X-E2 as an upgrade from the X-E1 in the summer because of the extra features that it already had, but knowing that an X-E2 firmware update was coming soon(ish). I am looking forward to seeing what improvements the X-E2 gets, but it will still be the camera that I chose to purchase back in the summer.

I absolutely agree and did similarly. My intention is to soon replace both my X-T1's in favor of the E2-series, primarily for their simplicity and ease of use and by extension, their *lack* of features. I find little of the T-1's additional abilities over X-E2 to be very useful in most daily useage and in certain ways, even annoying (ex.- the friggin' locking buttons on the shutterspeed and iso dials). Many of the tricks that the newer cameras have added are only accessible relatively deeply, inconveniently or just added complexity to the menu. In regards to ES (imo,a not yet fully mature feature), a ND filter in the pocket works just fine.

anywhoo...

...if Fuji generously provides me with an X-T1-like focus system and perhaps frees up the R&L D-pad buttons to FN use, the T-1's are outta here and I'm an enormously happy camper.

So....

There's this!

http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n160115_07.html

Awesome list of features & updates I'd say.

Honestly I'm so stoked right now, we're basically all getting a new camera in 2 weeks.

I'm more thrilled about this update then the xpro2 personnaly.

I know people from Fuji come to this website but I don't know if they read the forums as well.

Acros would have been the cherry on the cake, but thanks a lot anyway Fuji. This is great.

Although, I'm satisfied with the X-E2 anything that improves continuous shooting is to the good.  The info out on FW 4.0 mostly concerns auto focus.  I'll have to see how it works.

I'm also glad to read that the Q menu will be more customizable.  I hope flash compensation will be a little more accessible.

Nobody pays attention to me but I really wish there was an option in the menu one could select to make all the purely video menu items disappear, ditto non-raw shooting items.If you need them suddenly you would just reverse the selection.  Nothing in this is directed at Fuji per se as Nikon, Canon Sony etc all have menus jammed full of stuff I virtually never use.

Re X-PRO2:  It got heavier and bulkier.  Not by much but that's the wrong direction.  Per the published spec it is now heavier than the Nikon D3300 and D5500.  Probably corresponding Canon bodies as well.  I hope this will NOT be the pattern for the x-E3 as much of X-E? series appeal lies in the modest bulk and weight.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just got my X-E2 this morning. And the v.4 was out today. I wanted to get the X-Pro1 but the X-E2 is newer and, in the future, I'll take it back to get the Pro2.

anyways it had the v.1 firmware, I went for the 3.5 then for the v.4. Fabulous: the bigger update for me is the internal intervalometer. So now I won't have to buy an external one. I'll keep waiting for my zoom lens before to give it a try.