FUJIFILM CONFIRMS: New Firmware for Fuji X-E2 (at the end of this year).

@c0ldc0ne - Well, they did confirm that a firmware update was coming, but not specifically when. Since the X-E2 is essentially the same camera (internally) as the X-T1, it isn't out of the question that we will get the same update as the FW 4 that the X-T1 got. Fuji said they couldn't confirm technical details, but it seems likely to me that we will get the same update. Maybe not, but it's encouraging to me that an update is coming. I love my X-E2 as is, but if they can make it better that's great news.

I look forward to seeing what they produce. Could it be that they might at last enable different LCD/EVF settings for shooting and display modes? That modest adjustment would make me very happy. Everything else would be a bonus.

They are keeping the cards very closed to their chest. 

I am afraid that this is none the clearer than the previous reassurance given by Fuji France and it sounds very much like some emergency plan being put in place rather than a well thought strategy ( which would have had a clear release date from the beginning on).

Something will be given what will be given remains to be seen. Only time will tell. However, yes, something is better than nothing.

it sounds very much like some emergency plan being put in place rather than a well thought strategy ( which would have had a clear release date from the beginning on).

To indulge in a bit of pointless speculation for a moment, perhaps the lack of strategy relates to the X-E line more generally. Perhaps Fuji are still undecided about an 'X-E3'. No X-E3 and a major FW update to appease the user base; or an X-E3 next year and a more limited FW update to keep us engaged. Perhaps it's that X-E strategy that Fuji needs to work out first before settling on a FW strategy.

Like I said, just a bit of pointless speculation on a quiet Sunday afternoon :)

@c0ldc0ne - Well, they did confirm that a firmware update was coming, but not specifically when.

There may have been other statements from Fuji on this, but the message that this particular alleged confirmation is based on says nothing more than that there are plans in process. So not even the plans have been finalised, let alone that there is a confirmation of them ever materialising into an actual update, much less when. Even the earlier statement from Fuji France only speaks of plans, not actual intent.

Don't get me wrong, I own an X-E2 myself and would love nothing more than to see it being brought up to speed, so to speak. But sensationalist inferences based on nothing but a handed-down, tentative statement from Fuji may do well as click bait, but does not do any service to us X-E2 owners.

I have said several times before

This whole reaction to the X-E2  lack of upgrade business ( but let’s not forget a similar reaction by the X-E1 and X pro 1 owners) is the product of the Kaizen backfiring.

The Japanese marketing department obviously didn’t foresee the amount of negative reactions ( grading from disappointment to bitterness or even, in some cases, of sheer hostility towards Fuji ) shown by the left out owners that the lack of upgrading to their older models has brought about.

Now, after verifying that the whole of the Western Fuji customers owning their older models actually feels defrauded of something that the market perceives (whether rightly or wrongly it doesn’t matter, the market is always right) as a natural right as in “ they got it, why shouldn’t I? That is an injustice! ”  Some statements were issued so that “ the market” would be appeased for a while.

Come the end of the year, now, something will have to be released at this point but what this will be is now ( I bet) under deep scrutiny.

Obviously this needs some rethinking because, Next time around there will be even more people who will feel they are missing something that is their natural right to have.

Of course it is easy for me to pontificate since I am in the luxury position of having bought ( by sheer chance since I was in the shop with both the X-T1 and the X-E2 in front of me) a camera that has received the “ upgrade” ( but then we have seen that the “ upgrade” was very much less in real terms that what we all had been lead to expect.

Anyway, we shall see.

I've read it again. It says: "There are plans in process to produce a firmware update for the X-E2 towards the end of the year"

Exactly. That means that not even the plans have been finalized. So it's a statement of intent which is a far cry from a confirmation of delivery.

Exactly. That means that not even the plans have been finalized. So it's a statement of intent which is a far cry from a confirmation of delivery.

well, then all we can do is just to wait and see what happens "towards the end of the year". Maybe nothing, as you suggest... or maybe the FW will really come. Time will tell

I think its all a matter of generations.

The X-E2, and X-T1 and funnily enough even though its barely 2 months old the X-T10 are all in the same generation ( I would have to include X100T in that as well.

I think that they should all be brought up to same level.

Lets fast forward 18months. Hopefully by that point we will have an X-Pro 2 an X-T2 and who knows maybe even a X-T20 and or X-E3. Ideally they should all be at relatively the same level of firmware performance in terms of AF and IQ etc, but they have different ergonomics, EVF stratgies etc and that is how they are delineated.

I think the other delineation we are likely to see is Video. I would put money on the fact that the X-E2 v4 firmware will include the AF upgrades as that would be super beneficial and some other nice tweaks like D-Pad customizable buttons or direct focus point control, viewfinder options aligned, customizable Q menu etc, these are all refinements that don't really threaten the X-T1 or 10 but would improve a users life considerably.

I think they will keep video the preserve of the X-T1 as its more of a hybrid style camera anyway, ie the X-T1 has 3 major advantages over the rest of the line up in terms of video 1) Full Manual control of video, 2) 24p(this is debatable depedingin on what your style is) and 3) Control of video via remote app. This last one is huge and has been the major contributer to me moving to X-T1

Why, well becuase all hybrid cameras in EU are artificially limited to 30 mins becuase of EU tax laws. The cameras if defined as Video cameras, woudl see a huge hike in price so manufaturers just bodge round this with a record limit.

However I mainly use my camera to record gigs, on a tripod while I am on stage. Previously I used a hacked GH1 where I was able to remove record limit. The X-T1 offers me another option. I can have it set up to remote control, and I can start and stop recroding every song. This actually gives major advantages over the GH1,

1) The video files are smaller and I know that 1 file = one song no laboriously trolling through an hour long file to find one song

2) If the camera stops working and/or corrupts a file I only lose one song

3) I can check from stage that everyone in band is in shot. Often people move round and I once cut off the drummer head from an entire gig (some may say this was an advantage)

4) Touch screen focus. Ability to re-focus camera from stage as band naturally settles into comfortable positions.

So for me the above was enough to move frmo my beloved X-E2, if they keep that delineation that gives them product seperation, especially when 4k hits.

G

• 4 months later...

Well the very recent 3.10 Firmware update (from the end of October) for (Addition of compatibility with "XF35mmF2 R WR", and Addition of compatibility with "XF1.4X TC WR") on the X-E2 isn't the firmware update I was hoping for. Hopefully one with AF improvement and anything else significant will make an appearance after the X-Pro2 announces.

• 4 weeks later...

Any news on this new firmware?

I have just bought an XE-2 as second body and I think that most of us will be happy if new features will be added !!

Anyway...today I have asked to Fujifilm by twitter if they confirm this new update.

Thanks,

Felice

It will come, don't worry. If I were you I'd prepare an empty SD-card and charge the batteries... hurry :)