Fuji XF-23 f2.0, is it really soft at f2?

guyfromtor

Hi guys

I just bought an XT-3 with the kit lens. Loving it. I am looking to buy a WR lens and I was thinking of the 23mm F2.0. 

I keeping seeing reviews from people returning it and or saying it is soft at f2. My two reasons for buying it is WR and hoping that I get better bokeh then what the kit lens provides.

Your opinions please.

I think it's a great lens. The only time I've noticed it to be soft is when I was testing the minimum focus distance of the lens at f2. In normal use I've never really noticed it. I've also used the lens to take some photos of my cats from quite close up and have been happy with the results.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is tack sharp.

Perhaps people mean soft at minimum range + wide open. But then they're using it the wrong way. Either back off or stop down. 

Excellent lens. Can't complain. If the 35 wr is equally good, I'm selling my 35/1.4.

Edited by MonGoose

The 23 f/2 is super. Mon, I owned both, the 23 and 35 f/2. The latter wasn''t as good as the f/1,4. If you check here, there''s a post where I compared the two: the f/1,4 is way superior.
But, having said so, you always have to try the lenses by yourself. The best thing is when the shop have more samples of the same lens, so you can compare them before to buy.
Usually they differ from each other.

Edited by lleo

5 hours ago, lleo said:

Mon, I owned both, the 23 and 35 f/2. The latter wasn''t as good as the f/1,4. If you check here, there''s a post where I compared the two: the f/1,4 is way superior. 

Superior in what way? 

The f2 has much faster focus, is sharper, built in metal vs plastic and doesn't rattle . 

F2 is superior in every way except it' s one stop darker. 

On 5/10/2019 at 10:13 PM, MonGoose said:

Superior in what way? 

The f2 has much faster focus, is sharper, built in metal vs plastic and doesn't rattle . 

F2 is superior in every way except it' s one stop darker. 

Check the post: the 35 f/1,4 is much sharper and detailed than the f/2 which, in the case, is not even a 35. The FOV speaks clearly.
However, the 23 f/2 I owned was quite better than the 23 f/1,4. Which, in the majority of the cases, is better than the new f/2.
As I wrote, you always must to try a len before to buy it, execially if you can try two or more of the same model.

1 hour ago, lleo said:

Yep but you're comparing two different lenses. Anyways the 23 is simply great. Mine had awesome starlights.

Of course, you are comparing two different lenses as well. Who would be comparing two identical lenses.

How can 35 WR be so different from 23 WR. Same design.

Same construction, different results. Here it is: https://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/5770-35mm-comparison/
Saying that the f/2 is superior to the f/1,4 it means lying. Anyways, this particular sample. Another one might be better.
Lenses are assembled by hand and not two are identical. That's why I always compare two or more, if available at the shop, before to buy it.
I've been doing this through the last... probably 30 years or more. And it always worked.
By the way, in the new series it seems that the better ones are the 23 and the 50. The 35 is the weaker one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

On 5/13/2019 at 11:38 AM, lleo said:

Same construction, different results. Here it is: https://www.fuji-x-forum.com/topic/5770-35mm-comparison/
Saying that the f/2 is superior to the f/1,4 it means lying. Anyways, this particular sample. Another one might be better.
Lenses are assembled by hand and not two are identical. That's why I always compare two or more, if available at the shop, before to buy it.
I've been doing this through the last... probably 30 years or more. And it always worked.
By the way, in the new series it seems that the better ones are the 23 and the 50. The 35 is the weaker one.

23 f2 quite better of 23 1.4 is laughly.