Iridient vs. Lightroom vs. Capture One

They do different tasks. There is not "best".

Capture one is lovely for tethered shooting and it is pretty good for working with presets and batch-exporting multiple copies of the same image for different purposes. It's not very good for cataloguing and organising all of your photos, however, and it's not as robust for full image editing as Lightroom and Iridient. Generally you use Capture One alongside other software. I don't know anybody who uses Capture One by itself.

Iridient is the most robust raw file processor. If you like to shoot raw and play with wildly different exposure values and highlight recovery and everything else like that, Iridient is what you want. It's not too hot for anything else, though.

Lightroom is a solid all-rounder with the most expansive organisation options. The raw processing isn't quite as good as Iridient in terms of the extremes you can go, but it's more than good enough for people who like to get everything how they like it in-camera and don't make too many corrections to their raw files later. The preset and export functionality isn't as powerful as Capture One, and the tethering ability is far behind Capture One, but its editing tools are more expensive.

Many professionals will use all three. Capture One to shoot tethered, Iridient to actually process the raw files and then Lightroom to organise everything. Most amateurs will only use Lightroom since it can kind of do a decent-enough job of every task by itself.

I wouldn't advise anybody uses only Capture One or Iridient by themselves because they're not really meant to be all-in-one solutions like Lightroom is. If you can only get one piece of software or only want to use one, go with Lightroom. Then if you do a lot of studio shooting, pick up Capture One, and finally if the things you photograph require lots of fine-tuning—something like fashion, for example—get Iridient.

For Fuji cameras specifically, I'd say don't bother with Capture One at all because Fuji's tethered support is awful anyway. For Iridient, it's a draw with Lightroom. If you like or need to spend a lot of time tweaking your raw files, Iridient is more robust. If you shoot .JPG or you don't edit your raws all that much, go with Lightroom. You'll probably find you end up using both.

Hi oldfashioned1536,

I agree with aceflibble there is no best, you just have to get what you need. And this might need some trial and error (best before breaking the piggy bank)

Coming from Aperture because S. Jobs inheritors killed it, I downloaded Lightroom, Aftershot, DxO and Capture 1 on thirty day trials and 'played' with them to see what suited me best.

So I would suggest you do the same, however I do not know if Iridient is available on a trial basis.

Hope this is useful.

Best regards

Jeremy

FWIW : I opted for Capture One, which I now use exclusively, and to date have no complaints but this is me. But others may have different experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

Iridient is based on the Apple OS X/iOS RAW Engine API.  Just get Apple to port it to Windows and you are golden.  :lol:

To quote graflex: "Iridient provides the option to use the MAC OS raw demosaicing. However it also provides two additional X-Trans demosiaicing algorithms that do not rely on the OS API."

This is an important distinction. If Irident had only "MAC OS raw demosaicing" there would be little point to it, really.