What should DSCF # start at with a new camera?

Luna

Hello,

I just purchased what I thought was a new X-T3. When I got home, I discovered the box wasn't sealed, which weirded me out a little. It wasn't that there was a broken seal... there was no seal to begin with.

Anyhow, I just took my first pic and it saved as DSCF1001. Does that mean there were 1000 pictures taken on it before I got it, or am I being paranoid? Do these cameras start as DSCF1000?

If you were to look back at your first photos, what did your DSCF start with? I personally would have expected DSCF0001, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thank you,

Luna

I believe I may have found the answer to my own question!  I just wanted to reply to this in case someone else looks for the very same thing at some point. 

Using this website http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi it showed the image count (along with a ton of other information) of a specific photo!

It did show the image count as 1, so yay for that!

If anyone does have other info, please do respond, otherwise, I feel satisfied enough with this!

Thank you

19 hours ago, Luna said:

Hello,

I just purchased what I thought was a new X-T3. When I got home, I discovered the box wasn't sealed, which weirded me out a little. It wasn't that there was a broken seal... there was no seal to begin with.

Anyhow, I just took my first pic and it saved as DSCF1001. Does that mean there were 1000 pictures taken on it before I got it, or am I being paranoid? Do these cameras start as DSCF1000?

If you were to look back at your first photos, what did your DSCF start with? I personally would have expected DSCF0001, but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thank you,

Luna

I see you acquired a new X-T3.   Did you own an X-T2 prior to the X-T3 ??   I ask this because I have an X-T2 and was thinking of upgrading to the X-T3 and I know I will lose a lot of $$$ from a trade-in.   So I am hoping to get input from members who have had or presently have both models.

~Skip

In my research for purchasing a FujiFilm camera I remember reading that Fujifilm does not seal their box's and is virtually impossible to know if your camera has been handled.

With that said they suggested that you should never pay, thinking it is untouched.

I have purchased a few cameras as open box, for example, that did not start at 0001.

They where all fully warrantied but never had a problem.

Jim

On 3/29/2019 at 1:22 PM, gwcleversey said:

I see you acquired a new X-T3.   Did you own an X-T2 prior to the X-T3 ??   I ask this because I have an X-T2 and was thinking of upgrading to the X-T3 and I know I will lose a lot of $$$ from a trade-in.   So I am hoping to get input from members who have had or presently have both models.

~Skip

Hello Skip,

No, I'm a new Fuji user. From what I've read however, I had an X-T2 to begin with, it isn't likely I'd upgrade, unless I was using the camera for video recording, in which case, I may have wanted the 4K. As a still photographer though, I don't see a huge benefit to the upgrade. If I were you, I'd just invest in more glass! :)

Cheers,

Luna

On 4/6/2019 at 7:04 PM, Jimmy637 said:

In my research for purchasing a FujiFilm camera I remember reading that Fujifilm does not seal their box's and is virtually impossible to know if your camera has been handled.

With that said they suggested that you should never pay, thinking it is untouched.

I have purchased a few cameras as open box, for example, that did not start at 0001.

They where all fully warrantied but never had a problem.

Jim

All my Fuji X bodies were sealed. Not on the box, but on the plastic wrapping the camera there is a "holographic" sticker that once removed can´t be put back on and pass as if nobody removed it before.

Edited by Samot

• 2 years later...
5 hours ago, Mnilionic said:

My xt3 started counting from 1001 too. I assume that the first thousand is testing the shutter mechanism after production.

The first "1" was the folder number - only the last three digits were the image number. So your camera started at 1.

(This behaviour changed in firmware version 3.2 and now all four digits represent the image number)