JKR

Help me choose the right lens

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm in doubt about selecting the right lens, so I calling for your help. This is my situation:

What I usually shoot:
- Travel
- Family (two children)
- Street and daily life 
- Portrait (not often)
- No video

Most of the time I shoot with hand held and no flash, so I think OIS is a big benefit. I also prefer fast AF, so manual focus lens is out of sort list. Of course f/1.4 is ideal for hand held but I can live with f/2, no big deal. The most important factor is fast and lightweight.

I only print pictures in small size, so image quality and sharpness is not critical. However I don’t use Photoshop so I prefer no retouching, just use the JPG images right out of camera, maybe just crop/rotate if need. I also can live with noise of high ISO.

Currently I use a XE3 with 23mm f/2 and super happy with this combo. Thinking about add one or two lenses because sometime I see 23mm is not wide enough (small room, group picture, or on a mountain that I can't step back), sometime it is too wide (family portrait, children playing around). So I see two options:

Option 1 - zoom lens, buy one of these
- 18-55 f/2.8-4: A lot of recommendation on this lens. It's cheap and has OIS. I just wonder if 18 is wide enough? 
- Waiting for 16-80 f/4: has OIS, fast AF (hopefully), 80mm for portrait is better than 55mm. Internal zoom and WR also very nice for long term investment. 
- 16-55 f/2.8: this one is expensive and way too big to go with XE3, and no OIS.
- 18-135 f/3.5-5.6: Slow aperture, and 135mm is too long for me. I'd rather have 16mm. Also many negative review about this lens.

Option 2 - buy two prime lens 
- 16 f/2.8 and 50 f/2: Fast AF, fast aperture, lightweight, optical excellence and WR. Super match with 23 f/2. But no OIS and cost a bit more money.

Would you please share your experience? What do you recommend? 

Thank you very much!

JK.

I have the 18-135 lens with and XT-2. As a walk around travel lens, it hits all the basis. Maybe not the fastest lens, but for a walk around travel lens, I would have a hard time beating it. The 18mm is wide enough for most situations, and the 135 comes in handy for many situations. A 16-80 would also be a great lens, and f/4 isn't too bad. 

I shoot a lot of sports with my grandsons in Lacrosse and live with the 100-400, but that is probably way too much glass on an XE3. Traveling in old cities or for landscape work, the 10-24 is great also.

Good luck on a choice. You can rent a lens for awhile and try it out to see if it works for you also.

I'm new to Fuji and very much an amateur. I've got an 18-55, 10-24 and 100-400 on an X-T3. For generally walking round, street and landscape, I'm tending to use the 10-24 and very impressed with results. I might change over to using the 18-55 as my standard, but I just love the huge wide 10mm for landscape and would miss not having that to hand? 

I've also got an X100F and like you, finding the 23mm just a tad too narrow for me, I'd prefer it was 18mm. 

16-80 would be great, but 18-55 is pretty good also, that's what I'd go with given one choice, guess that's why it's often bundled as a standard. It has OIS, but not WR which isn't much of an issue to me cause if it's bad weather I'm inside! 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By yukosteel
      I’ve purchased 7artisans 50mm F1.8 lens three weeks ago directly from eBay 7artisans store.
      Here's my short review on this lens:

Lens Review – 7artisans 50mm F1.8 (FX Mount)

• By nickepicke
      Hello!

I recently bough an X-E3 and I am really happy with it!
      I want to buy a leather case for it though, both since I like the feel of it and because it looks better (and hopefully also protect the camera a bit), and I have been looking around. I was using the fujifilm original leather case for my old X70, and I really liked that one. 

Does anyone have the fujifilm BLC-XE3 for your camera? Are you happy with it? From what I can see on pictures, the case is not attached to the camera in the tripod socket, but just with buttons over the strap metal thingies, is this the case? Is it still a good fit?

Is the strap that comes with it in leather as well?

I find surprisingly little information about this case on the internet - no reviews, no youtube videos and almost no one talking about it..

If not this one, what do you use?

Thanks!
    • By thl70
      Question for all the stage and theater shooters out there. I've been using my XT2 and 18-55 to shot my theater work and am thinking about getting the 16-55. Will it be worth it? Seeing that the 16-55 will not have OIS and the 18-55 does. My typical stage shots are set to 1/60s-1/120s at iso1600 or 800 if I am lucky with the lights, and the 18-55 usually wide opened. Am I going to get any sharpness advantage with the 16-55? Yes, I can get the new XH1 but the size and price of that camera do not agree with me. Also, I do not shoot video at all so even less of an incentive for me to get the camera. Any input from professional shooters out there who does stage work with Fuji is greatly appreciated. Thank you! Attached is a typical stage shot that I do.

• By FransvanZomeren
      I have been offered a ZEISS Touit 2.8/50mm. X mount macro lens and wonder if there is any user experience on this forum?
      Pictures?
      Furthermore I would like to know if this lens obstructs the X-Pro2 OVF.

Thanks,
      FranZ
    • By jlmphotos
      Well my friends I went and done it!

Some of you guys who have been here a while may recall my daughter "borrowed" my X-T1 and my "don't leave home without it lens" the Fuji 18-55.  For the last several months I've been photographing using my primes only -- the fabulous 16 f1.4, the 23 1.4, 35 1.4, and 60 2.4 plus the 55-200 zoom.  And I loved doing that.  I've truly enjoyed making images as I have to be slower, and more thoughtful in the process plus, let's face reality, the primes will always beat a zoom with regards to sharpness, and micro-contrast among other things.
      However, the 18-55 is a lens I cannot live without!  I love it.  There I said it.  If I loved it any more I'd have to name it and provide it it's own ss number for tax purposes.  
      I do plan on continuing to use primes for most of my images as I really enjoyed using them and have weened myself off the zoom, but I will feel much better knowing my 18-55 is back in my bag just in case I need it!

To be completely honest:  I looked at the 16-55 2.8.  Many of you who "know me" know that I've said I would never purchase this lens, and it's brother the 50-140 2.8 due to 1) the weight  and 2) price.  I looked at the 16-55 2.8, i thought about it, but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase this heavy, and expensive lens when for a quarter of the price my 18-55 works wonders, is super tack sharp, and has provided me with YEARS of use -- my original 18-55 was the kit lens that came on my Fuji X-E1 I purchased back in February 2013!

This image below is one of over 16,000 images I have taken in various locations ranging from Key West, to Prince Edward Island in Northern Canada between mid-July, and early November.  I believe I "lost" the 18-55 to my daughter when I returned from the Keys and was prepping to head north -- this image was in fact taken with the 18-55 lens.

So, I'm now whole again and I couldn't be happier knowing it's there in case I need it.

PS:  Here in the Classifieds I'm offering for sale my Zeiss/Touit 12mm F2.8 lens.  Check it out if you are in the market for a wide-angle for your Fuji!