strange noise with FUJINON LENS XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR

udo

I'm using the FUJINON LENS XF50-140mmF2.8 R LM OIS WR on a XT-3. Have both for a few months and been very happy, until a few days ago.  After I switch the camera on, I get this wizz sound on the lense that doesn't stop. It wasn't always like that, so I wonder whether there's a problem with the lense, or whether I accidentally changed a camera setting that triggers this. My apologies in advance if this is an inappropriate or otherwise stupid question. I'm trying to avoid having to trek back to the dealership (different city etc etc), unless there's genuine cause for concern. Any comments would be much appreciated.

Edited by udo

• 2 weeks later...

That lens, by the way, always has a very soft electronic sound, even when "IS"  turned off.

I can only hear it in a quiet room when I put it to my ears.

I believe that's something about "floating glass elements" that are engaged when powered on. You can hear the elements clunk about inside when the lens is powered off ( that's also normal).

But, you indicated it's a much louder sound and you just noticed, it so I'm guessing it's "PRE-AF ON"...

If it's simply the soft noise of the lens then that is normal.

Pete1959,

I also hear a whirring noise from my 18-135 and 18-55 Fujinon lenses with my ear up close in a quiet room. The sound disappears when the camera sleeps or is powered off. It sounds like a tiny motor.

• I have Pre-AF off
  • I have OIS off.
  • I am in "S" on the M-C-S focus switch

I've had this camera for 2 years and started noticing a more rapid battery drain. I wondered if something is not set right or working right.    You mentioned some other ideas earlier in this forum.

Thanks

Stan

Edited by Snsokstan
typo

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 12:41 PM, Snsokstan said:

Pete1959,

I also hear a whirring noise from my 18-135 and 18-55 Fujinon lenses with my ear up close in a quiet room. The sound disappears when the camera sleeps or is powered off. It sounds like a tiny motor.

• I have Pre-AF off
  • I have OIS off.
  • I am in "S" on the M-C-S focus switch

I've had this camera for 2 years and started noticing a more rapid battery drain. I wondered if something is not set right or working right.    You mentioned some other ideas earlier in this forum.

Thanks

Stan

Hi Stan:

RE: Batteries:

"Face Detect">On , if left "ON", will also continuously hunt for faces even when not half pressing and will drain battery faster. Only have it on when you need it.

Blue Tooth>Turn it off. It is by default set to "On"

Boost> Not needed for landscape and slow non action shooting. Turn it off if not needed.

Occasionally fully discharge the batteries to maintain lithium battery health.

-Peter

PS: Two years...? The camera came out in late Sept. 2019.....are you speaking of the XT2 ? The XT3 gets noticeably better battery life...

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think that you are describing the normal noise from this lens and others. It's the gyros for the IOS, which run all the time irrespective of whether IOS is on or off. Also there may be some noise from the linear motors that do the focusing. I am not sure about the latter. The noise is normally very low so either you have sensitive hearing or perhaps there could be sometimes  wrong but I doubt it.