Ultimate compact lens kit

user_01

Hi, folks. This is my first post here. I just switched from 5dm2 to fuji's. Get 2 dinosaurs x-pro1 and x100 (as 23mm lens) at a very low price and love 'em so much it's rangefinder style. For x-pro i have fuji 18-55mm and Canon FD 50mm 1,4 manual. I use cameras mainly for street photography and travel. Now i have a very hard descision if i should buy mint fuji 35mm 1.4 for a half price of 56mm or 90mm lenses brand new. I'm afraid that 23mm and 35 would be almost the same thing. What do you think?

Get 2 dinosaurs x-pro1 and x100 (as 23mm lens) at a very low price and love 'em so much it's rangefinder style. For x-pro i have fuji 18-55mm and Canon FD 50mm 1,4 manual. I use cameras mainly for street photography and travel. Now i have a very hard descision if i should buy mint fuji 35mm 1.4 for a half price of 56mm or 90mm lenses brand new.

35 is the same as 23 until you need highest possible results and compose carefully. IMO you don't need anything else as an addition to 18-55 and 23/2 for these styles of photography in 18-55 range. If you're OK with canon FD lens you don't need 56 either. If you insist on 35mm focal length you can consider TCL-X100 which is even cheaper. Thus the option left is 90 which is a great lens.

35 is the same as 23 until you need highest possible results and compose carefully. IMO you don't need anything else as an addition to 18-55 and 23/2 for these styles of photography in 18-55 range. If you're OK with canon FD lens you don't need 56 either. If you insist on 35mm focal length you can consider TCL-X100 which is even cheaper. Thus the option left is 90 which is a great lens.

Honestly, i don't like zooms from the way how it looks and feels to it's f3,6 at 35mm that annoyed me during shooting live show in a very low light. TCL-x100 costs just 100 bucks more than mint 35 1.4. Hm,hm... just want first native prime for my camera, very hard descision)

Honestly, i don't like zooms from the way how it looks and feels to it's f3,6 at 35mm that annoyed me during shooting live show in a very low light. TCL-x100 costs just 100 bucks more than mint 35 1.4. Hm,hm... just want first native prime for my camera, very hard descision)

Nevertheless you won't take too many primes for travelling and you don't have time to swap lenses in street photography. I'd say 35 is unnecessary if you already have 23 and 50. When I need two fast primes for fast photography I take X100S and XF 56 

...  I'm afraid that 23mm and 35 would be almost the same thing. What do you think?

I think the are not the same. Not at all.

It is hard to understand what you really asking.

Your lens portfolio is a function of your requirements (e.g. concerning focal length), the money you want to spend and sometimes also influenced by GAS.

Personally, if you are using these for travel I wouldn't buy anything more. You've got a fast wide (X100), a flexible zoom, and a fast portrait lens (albeit manual focus). You would be better served buying a Samyang 12mm f/2.

Just my opinion, but if this were my kit, I'd buy the 35.  I have one on my X-T1 and absolutely love it on the street.  If you like to shoot wider on the street with your Canons, then try the 14 or 16 which will bring you to that 24mm length.  I haven't spent much time at all at the 135 mark, so I can't comment on that, but I know a lot of folks love it for portraiture work, not sure how well it would work on the street.

I'm struggling with the same thing you are right now as to what my next prime will be.  Right now I'm flopping back and forth between the 16 and 56, but it depends on which way I want to go with my kit as it grows.  I know eventually I will wind up with both though so it's just which comes first.  Like you though, I want a X100 series to fill that 35mm gap I have in my kit.  I'm lusting after a T right now, but if an S came along at the right price I'd snatch it up in a heart beat.