Printing from digitial

Rob1379

Hello,

I've amassed a collection of snaps from by X-E3 that I would like to print.  I'm getting slightly scuppered by frame sizes.  They are in 3:2 ration - however does this mean that i will be able to fit into a frame of this ratio  (e.g. 6inch by 9 inch) with no danger of the edges of the photo showing?  Or, is there an art to either cropping it, or getting a slightly smaller frame?

Secondly:  Shooting with the X-E3, with 4000 x 6000 resolution - what's the largest I can reasonably expect to print to?  My penchant is for landscapes, and viewing will generally be from 2+ metres away.

Thank you

Rob

• 2 months later...

I've printed up to 30 x 20 from a 6mp file way back in 2005.  With the 24mp files, you can easily do 30 x 20 and larger!  I've seen 40 x 30 and bigger at a Fuji show in NYC.  Of course, we photographers tend to pixel peep.  So if you stand back 3-4 feet the image, assuming you used proper shot discipline, will be amazing.  At home I print 13 x 19 weekly but yeah you can go pretty large.

• 2 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 1:35 PM, Sharkey4711 said:

May I ask if you are printing the images yourself or sending them to a printers?

Are you displaying in frames/on boards with no surround or other?

Will you be printing the whole frame or are you planning to crop regularly?

More questions than answers, but bear with me;)

Hello all,

Thank you very much for your answers, and I apologise for the long period of silence from me!  I had an issue with getting alerts to tell me that a reply had been left...

In reply to Sharkey4711

I will be sending them to a printer.  I have been using Snapfish (I am in the UK).  They have been a decent price, and the quality has been fine for standard/ small prints. 

Question - any recommendations for a decent printer for larger prints?

I will be displaying in frames - likely with a mount.

Regarding whole frame / cropping - likely will depend on how my photo looks!  Assume more than likely that I will not be cropping.

Thank you all for your help,

Rob